• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help - Fender to Inner Fender Sealer

EJL

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:19 AM
Reaction score
I’m looking for some help here. I’ve searched using multiple phrases on this forum hoping to find some guidance on what type of foam or sealer to use between the fender and inner fender to simulate what was done at the factory.

Specifically, I’m referring to the sealer that squeezed out and is visible along the top horizontal edges that prevents water from getting between the panels from above and below. I tried finding a pic to show the area, but I’m not finding any good ones pointing it out.

If anyone can help with recommending a good paintable material to use and any tips for applying it would be appreciated. I’m guessing the stuff has to have a long working time to allow for someone to apply and get fender hung, aligned and bolted into position before it’s fully set up.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help educate me on this.

While I agree it was originally a foam type sealer I don't think I would go back with anything foam like, it can hold water & promote rust.... I'd suggest a seam sealer like Lord Fusor 806HD

The original tan foam sealer is no longer available....What I used was your traditional 3m tan paintable seam sealer....The trick to doing this appropriately is don't over think it.....Since you have your panels currently hung on the car. Look at how they are bolted together currently...If the seams are fairly straight and tight then that's a good start....

You dont want to go crazy and apply too much. It can produce a gap or too much to squeeze out.....Originally, they didn't care if any squeezed out or too much, so you can't go wrong.....So what we did was place a bead down the center to ensure a good seal, then just below the top edge of where the two meet we placed another bead to ensure that most would squeeze out.....Since we pre fitted and marked everything there was very little adjustment other than bolting them together....

A true original build is not pretty and is sloppy.....Just keep that in mind....I have a pic somewhere, when I find it I will post it up....

If Ed would have opened your hood on Sunday.. I'd have a picture.... :)
lol.....Ed does not play around......The last time I was there. He was in the adjacent room and I popped open the trunk....He was about to take me out when he swooped in on me:D in less than 5 seconds...

LOL.. two of the guys/volunteers were all happy on Saturday night, as I had the trailer back door open when they left to go home and when talking with them on Sunday they thought they were getting a Bird to park beside the X under the neon Superbird sign ! lol

DSC02403.JPG
DSC02630.JPG
IMG_0951.JPG

First two pics show what was done from the factory.......The last pics is the best I could find, the car is so black its hard to show....If the car wasn't at the museum about 4 hours away from me I would snap a pic...

What I used was your traditional 3m tan paintable seam sealer....The trick to doing this appropriately is don't over think it.....

Thanks moparnation74. This helps a lot.

Auto Transport Service
Back