• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help from those who survived the 70s

The rule is that if you have an 8 track you can't play any new music.
It has to be period correct too.

Eight-track machine playing 'Half Moon Bay'
Drivin' in my Volks down on Hamstead Way
Her mother got bust on a 88
And her brother got stuck on my number plate

Boy Clayton have you hit the wheelhouse of this age group. We did the hot rod thing, sold them to raise families, and life in general. Then we bought them back again, restored them to showroom, and now realize they were more fun as hot rods. You're on the right path, skip the 25 year process n Hot rod that thing, take that young boy out n do smoky Burnouts! He'll be a Mopar fan for life.

I still have a reverb!! Anyone ever beat on it to make it 'reverb' more? lol And just for the hell of it, I lowered the front end down on a 66 Coronet as much as it would go and aired up the rear shocks as much as they would go. Man, that was sick driving!

The rule is that if you have an 8 track you can't play any new music.
It has to be period correct too.
Yep that's what I'm going to use is my dad's old 8 tracks ....

Eight-track machine playing 'Half Moon Bay'
Drivin' in my Volks down on Hamstead Way
Her mother got bust on a 88
And her brother got stuck on my number plate

Well...strange as it sounds we jacked the rear ends up on air shocks and painted the rear ends red or got a chrome cover. Painted the brake drums, added CB radio, 8 track, speakers, big tachs, Floor mats with " keep on truckin' " on them, chrome foot shaped pedals, wrapped steering wheel, shag carpet, fiberglass hood scoops, Cragar Slots, open air cleaners chrome, wire looms and t-handle valve cover bolt extensions.

Ghost, you just read my mind although my floormats (like my mudflaps) were of the "Back Off" Yosemite Sam variety. The only things I can think of to add were speakers (ex. Jensen, Pioneer, Realistic, etc.) in the doors and speakers in plastic housings on/in the rear package tray. And, although I never used them, many cars still had curb feelers. Great thread. Brought back lots of memories.

And btw: I still have my factory 8-track in my AMX and was playing Edgar Winter's Frankenstein & My Best of the Doobie Brothers tapes recently.

I had a 71 Challenger [383/auto]. T/A hood, Ansen Sprint front- runners, L-60's on 10" Sprints. Hi-Jackers, Purple-***** header-mufflers, and a Sanyo Discrete-quad 8-track. Had tri-axial speakers...and it was true quad. It was mind-blowing when playing Ten Years After," A Space In Time" tape. The sound actually circled the car...and made a couple buddies under influences, heave. Oh, and you had to tint the dome-light.

Last edited:
I had a 71 Challenger [383/auto]. T/A hood, Ansen Sprint front- runners, L-60's on 10" Sprints. Hi-Jackers, Purple-***** header mufflers, and a Sanyo Discrete-quad 8-track. Had tri-axial speakers...and it was true quad. It was mind-blowing when playing Ten Years After," A Space In Time" tape. The sound actually circled the car...and made a couple buddies under influences, heave. Oh, and you had to tint the dome-light.
I forgot the dome light tint!!

Boy Clayton have you hit the wheelhouse of this age group. We did the hot rod thing, sold them to raise families, and life in general. Then we bought them back again, restored them to showroom, and now realize they were more fun as hot rods. You're on the right path, skip the 25 year process n Hot rod that thing, take that young boy out n do smoky Burnouts! He'll be a Mopar fan for life.
I mean for me what makes the cars so cool is the way my father and uncles talked about them. They had hundreds of stories back before you wouldnt get arrested for everything under the sun. I mean he used to say him and his friends would all take thier shotguns to school so they could go bird hunting after they got off And they would hang out at the skating ring at night. I don't want a museum piece and I really don't care if its fast or not. I just want people to walk by it and say "hey I remember that". My generation of melinials dont realize how good we have it yet how much we missed out on also. There's just something still fascinating about cb radios to me. Even though I have a cell phone that can do everything. I can play any song from anywhere at the push of a button but it's not the same as an album I can touch and an album cover I can keep. To be honest Our music sucks and the "hotrods" of our generation are plastic disposible appliances.... it's funny you mention the selling of cars for the family, my dad became a single father at 25 and sold his camaro when I was 3. Even though he remarried, fast cars and hobbies took a back seat to save money for safe family vehicles. You don't realize how much your parents sacrifice until you have kids of your own. Haha. My wife had a two year old when we met and we have one on the way. So I'm just now realizing the sticker shock of kids hahaha. Hopefully I'll be able to hang on to my bee though. My son loves it and calls it his "waace caa"

Dome light tint!!! Forgot that duh
Sidepipes--- never had them but they were around.
HUSH THRUSH mufflers
And WE are the generation that brought those little tree air fresheners to fame. They hid a multitude of sin, oh the shame!

This may sound like a dumb question... but how did the vehicles near you know which chanel you where on?

I want to know how the older generations customized their cars in the 70s. I've been thinking about what I'm going to add to my Super bee. I've stated before that I'm somewhat of a nerd especially when it comes to vintage audio, electronics and gadgets. I really want to add a period correct cb radio. But it's hard to find info on which ones where "cool" in 1970. I also wanted to add an 8 track player. Im just kind of looking for ideas. While I'm also going to add all of the modern electronics that I love, most of them will be out of sight or interfaced to an analog display. So let's say it's 1970 and you just bought a 1970 superbee with money left over to burn. Other than mechanical items what would you have bought or added? I also wanted to buy some vintage bumper stickers for it lol

View attachment 368164 View attachment 368165 View attachment 368166
Don't forget an equalizer/ booster to go with that 8 track and the 6x9"s

Like already mentioned by others, I also put Thrush straight thru mufflers on the 71 Road Runner, these were the kind with no fiberglass "fill" to blow out, just empty slotted chambers.

My 71 Galaxy 500 had Thrush side pipes and they made that 351 Cleveland roar nice...

Don't forget the FM converter. Mounted under dash, antenna routed through it to your AM radio. Put the AM on a specific channel and, presto, you've got FM. Hard to find
IMG_3239.JPG
now, but I did manage to scrounge one for my '66 & it still works great.

Don't forget the FM converter. Mounted under dash, antenna routed through it to your AM radio. Put the AM on a specific channel and, presto, you've got FM. Hard to findView attachment 368190 now, but I did manage to scrounge one for my '66 & it still works great.
That's cool ... all of that kind of stuff is what I want to find

Oh, Cranky will love this; a reverberator(?) to try and get stereo out of an AM radio. Had a big spring inside it for the delayed sound effect; problem was every big bump made the spring bounce and you heard a big twang from rear speaker,lol.
That was optional factory equipment in the 68 Charger RT still have but have never tried it.

This may be more late '70's/early 80's but what about:
Feather roach clips & Senior tassles on the review mirror,stickers on the dash and a 5 band equalizer:

IMG_3388.JPG

Diamond tuck, 6X9's, Rock station and prism stickers:

IMG_3389.JPG

IMG_3397.JPG

Gold Moroso rearend covers, shock extensions and N50 bias plies:

IMG_3390.JPG

And underdash cassette players with Dolby:

IMG_3394.JPG

Cassette case in the back seat, maybe a little weed in the Carpenters cassette case!

IMG_3398.JPG

One more- an Alf air freshener:

IMG_3392.JPG

Holy crap, did I date myself!

IMG_3391.JPG IMG_3391.JPG

The Johnson Messenger was the coolest back in the late 70's. I was hoping you were looking for how they looked back in the day. Here's 2 of my many I had.
johnson Messinger.jpg
2016-07-27 001 001.jpg
2016-08-05 001 001.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back