• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help from those who survived the 70s

Claytonhc

Local time
10:20 AM
Reaction score
I want to know how the older generations customized their cars in the 70s. I've been thinking about what I'm going to add to my Super bee. I've stated before that I'm somewhat of a nerd especially when it comes to vintage audio, electronics and gadgets. I really want to add a period correct cb radio. But it's hard to find info on which ones where "cool" in 1970. I also wanted to add an 8 track player. Im just kind of looking for ideas. While I'm also going to add all of the modern electronics that I love, most of them will be out of sight or interfaced to an analog display. So let's say it's 1970 and you just bought a 1970 superbee with money left over to burn. Other than mechanical items what would you have bought or added? I also wanted to buy some vintage bumper stickers for it lol

Screenshot_2016-10-25-21-03-26-1.png Screenshot_2016-10-25-20-52-18-1.png Screenshot_2016-10-25-19-52-38.png

Well you're probably not gonna find a Radio Shack cb; but Cobra's were/are popular. I know I'm dating myself but we used to paint the wheelwells a different color also. I had a '63 white Falcon with orange wheelwells way back. Geez.

I liked my wheel wells dark and kept the rear end down instead of jacked up. Had a Gibbs 8 track player with speakers from a Motorola record player that were held in place with some home made mounts. They were removable from the RP and I moved them into my car. It actually sounded pretty decent for the time! I could also put them up on top of the roof when we went down at the beach and we were at the beach a lot. I'm still not too far from Galveston. It wasn't until the late 70's that I had a Cobra CB.....

That's kinda what I wanted to to do is add some things to make it look like It would have if it was a 19 year Olds pride and joy in the 70s. I wanted to get some reproduction newspapers from 1970 and leave them in the front seat during shows. And put stuff in the trunk like a pair of old roller skates, a crate of vynl albums and maybe like an old book bag or something.

I liked my wheel wells dark and kept the rear end down instead of jacked up. Had a Gibbs 8 track player with speakers from a Motorola record player that were held in place with some home made mounts. They were removable from the RP and I moved them into my car. It actually sounded pretty decent for the time! I could also put them up on top of the roof when we went down at the beach and we were at the beach a lot. I'm still not too far from Galveston. It wasn't until the late 70's that I had a Cobra CB.....
Wait you put home speakers in your car?

Oh, Cranky will love this; a reverberator(?) to try and get stereo out of an AM radio. Had a big spring inside it for the delayed sound effect; problem was every big bump made the spring bounce and you heard a big twang from rear speaker,lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-71-72...-BEZEL-TRIM-/152270998690?hash=item23740f0ca2

Your 1970 model does not have the plastic "wood grain" dash insert that the 71-74 BBodies had. That is where I placed the gauges: the vacuum gauge was to the far left and the oil temp gauge was right alongside it (to the right). I just cut out round holes in the plastic and the gauges themselves provided their own chrome bezel surround. (see dash insert foto above). So these gauges were where everyone could see them, basically up high in center of the dash between driver and passenger.

Well...strange as it sounds we jacked the rear ends up on air shocks and painted the rear ends red or got a chrome cover. Painted the brake drums, added CB radio, 8 track, speakers, big tachs, Floor mats with " keep on truckin' " on them, chrome foot shaped pedals, wrapped steering wheel, shag carpet, fiberglass hood scoops, Cragar Slots, open air cleaners chrome, wire looms and t-handle valve cover bolt extensions.

Oh, Cranky will love this; a reverberator(?) to try and get stereo out of an AM radio. Had a big spring inside it for the delayed sound effect; problem was every big bump made the spring bounce and you heard a big twang from rear speaker,lol.
Haha guess I need to do some research ...that was Japanese to me lol

Oh and what's the deal with the "have a nice day" and "hanoi jane" stickers. Lol I don't understand the back story behind a lot of this. The last thing I was is to get beat up by some salty vietnam vet lol

Mid 70's--- but it was a Midland 23 channel SSB CB (single side band- with twin antennas, state of the art!), Craig Powerplay 8 track both mounted under dash, 6x9 rear deck speakers and sometimes (deep breath), in the door panels!!
20160928_185911.jpg

Tach on the column.
Cragar SS'S wheels, Gabriel Hi- jackers, rear painted white.
Oh yeah, reverse lights wired on. gotta dig up some old pics.
Turning mine back to day 2 this winter, tach in place, gauges in place of radio, and heavens!, a pistol grip in a 69!

The internet is your friend.. oh, youtube Bob Hope in Vietnam; course he was everywhere the military was.

It was a 6-10" long spring in a box that delayed the sound to rear seat speaker to kinda(?) sound like stereo from an AM radio.

On my 71 Challenger I put in a Kraco 8 track, CB radio, chrome mini mud flaps, shackles, air shocks, and oh a trailer hitch.

Oh this could get bigger than the 52+ pages on "who likes aircraft"!!!!.. Richard Cranium will chime in before long and we'll really get going!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back