• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help from those who survived the 70s

Lot of 8 tracks were mounted under the dash on a slide out mount so you could remove them and put them in the trunk or carry inside - same thing for CBs too. Some of them would lock too.

Yup, took me a while but I found the removable 8 track and cassette along with powerplay speakers! These will be in my rr.

PS. I don't think anyone mentioned fuzzy dice, dingal balls, sex lights under the dash and a "76" ball on the antenna! :)

IMG_3925.JPG
IMG_3926.JPG
IMG_3927.JPG
IMG_3928.JPG
IMG_3929.JPG

Is that a sticker or did they paint that with a stencil or something
That was my first lace paint job about 3 years ago. Never thought I would be choosing lace patterns in a fabric store! You paint the dark background color and then lay the lace over the top and spray the lighter color.

The CB antenna at one time was mounted on the trunk forward lip. Then I went to a 4' fiberglass whip on the left side of the rear bumper.
The scanner was a Bearcat handheld. Fog lights mounted low on the Clown lip front bumper. Firestone L60 x 15 on the rear and F60 x 15 on the front. The Charger came with red painted 11" drums so I painted them white. Who in there right minds would paint the drums red? Oh and I filled the window washer reservoir with bleach and water and ran small tubing to both the rear wheels. When stopped at a red light just push the washer button and wet down the wheels and stand on the brake peddle enough to hold the car and push down the gas peddle. This makes an awesome show with lots of smoke. The street fills with white smoke the crowd roars and you look over your hood and though the smoke walks a Cop, busted.
The big yellow pint container size Accel Super coil and yellow 8mm Fat Stuff plug wires.
You always found something left in the car when cleaning it out on Monday night, a necklace (puka shells where in then),stockings, bra, phone numbers on a napkin, rabbit fur (yes real rabbit fur from a girls coat) that is all she was wearing that night. I think you can still find fur in the car.

Last edited:
My first car in 77 was a 1969 Torino GT 390 4 speed, had intake, carb, cam, Craiger s/s, air shocks, aftermarket hood scoop under dash 8 track and shag carpet, also had a Cobra 23 channel CB with K4 detachable antenna, man I loved that car!

As mentioned earlier we also used to keep our shotguns and or rifles in the trunk of the car during high school if it was hunting season, we had our guns inside the school cleaning and playing with them several times in shop class, Our shop teacher was a hunter and took us hunting with him and his family a few times, normal stuff.

If you had a bad 8 track tape you opened it up and threw the tape away except for a small piece to put in the front.
It could then be used to hide your dope, of all the times we got pulled over and had our beer and weed dumped out or "confiscated" they never checked the 8 tracks.

Last edited:
The Charger had it's factory AM-8 track with the added conveniences of FM converter under the dash and a Cassette thingy that went in the 8 track player. It did not matter how good the quality of the sound was with having Thrush straight through mufflers. It all sounded good to a teenager. Funny how the music I listened to is now called Classic Rock.

My 1974 Charger that I bought used at the Chevy dealer I was working at in 1977 while still in high school. The Crager SS mags (with bias ply tires) all came off in the Winter and I'd put the steel rims back on until Spring. We sometimes get decent snows here in Maryland so I'd run the big lug snow tires in the rear which were also bias ply. Had the Midland CB radio with the K40 trunk mount antenna. The factory AM/FM radio was replaced by a Pioneer unit and I had an aftermarket 8 track mounted under the dash and it's long gone. I still do have about 15 or 20 of the old 8 tracks though..... Some really nice times were had in that Charger! :)

Charger1.jpg

Hmm... i love everything else from that time but Im not sure how I feel about that lol

It was more of a 60's thing. Murals were huge in the 70's, along with prismatic lettering and big-goofy car brand decals....like on Superbird quarters.

In my opinion:
(I was born in 1953)
I was 16 in 1969.
It all came down to MONEY.
Simply put, Money determined what you could do/afford.
My "FIRST" day 2 Mod on my used 1969 Chevelle in 1972 was: Big Goodyear tires in the rear with slotted mag wheels.
My "SECOND" day 2 mod was a FM radio.

I still have a reverb!! Anyone ever beat on it to make it 'reverb' more? lol And just for the hell of it, I lowered the front end down on a 66 Coronet as much as it would go and aired up the rear shocks as much as they would go. Man, that was sick driving!
Yup, b bods gotta have 'downhill' attitude......dago!

In my opinion:
(I was born in 1953)
I was 16 in 1969.
It all came down to MONEY.
Simply put, Money determined what you could do/afford.
My "FIRST" day 2 Mod on my used 1969 Chevelle in 1972 was: Big Goodyear tires in the rear with slotted mag wheels.
My "SECOND" day 2 mod was a FM radio.
Damn Ski, We are close.....im born in 53 too.....May 11. i soloed on my 16th b day in 69.......had to wait til my 17th b day to get my drivers licence. My solo was a text book perfect landing. Freeway airport in Tucson........some of the scenes in Stir Crazy ( Wilder & Pryor ) were filmed on Freeway airport, following its closure.

In the early 70s NO muscle car was bone stock. Most common mods:
  • Some type of mag or chrome wheels and wider tires, usually too big to clear so the suspension was screwed up with air shocks, long shackles and cranked up torsion bars.
  • Stereo / 8 track / CB - amazing any car survived with an uncut dash, door panels or package shelf.
  • Add-on tach and gauges, usually chrome and often strapped to the steering column with a big hose clamp.
  • Speed equipment stickers on the windows or under the hood, not always reflecting actual equipment on the car.
  • Aftermarket glass pack mufflers like Thrush, Cherry Bomb, etc spliced into the stock pipes. The fiberglass blew out real fast so they were crazy loud, then they rusted out quickly and got even louder!
  • Floor shift conversions for any car with a column shift.
  • Chrome dress-up stuff under the hood: air cleaner, valve covers, master cylinder cover, nut covers, wire looms, dipstick handles. Most was cheap crap that started to rust immediately.
The cheap visual stuff was usually first before any mechanical mods because most of us were nearly broke!

BW_0012.jpg BW_0013.jpg BW_0014.jpg

Check this site out

http://70sstreetmachines.tumblr.com/

I live it, some of it sucked, big bell bottom jeans,
roller-skating craze, Jimmy Carter & Disco era especially,
I was more of a surfer dude, car guy/streetracer but;
hot pants, no bras tank-tops/tube-tops, short Levi's cutt-offs
on good looken' women scantily dresses & 50's & 60's cars
everywhere was great, fast cars hood scoops N50/15's on 15x10's Crager SS...

I was far more of a racer & Friday & Saturday night cruise guy,
hanging out in a parking lot till dawn with a bunch of other
car guys/gearheads, street racing, going to Fremont Raceway,
going to rock & roll concerts "Day on the Green",
fast cars & fast women, were my drug....

Watch the movie "dazed & confused" that was
kinda' typical for many of my era, Class of 77'
my friends were all like them I was into sports
football, track, baseball, so I didn't do the smoking pot deal
until long after that, when I was done with sports...

I was never big on CB's had them in my tow rigs for safety
& emergency, it was before the cell phone era,
a lot easier than trying to find a pay phone while out on the road...

this was more my speed
{never mind the time stamps they are photos of photos, bad quality too}

Budnicks 23 T Ford Altered AA-Gas 6-71 Blown 301ci Donavon (1).jpg

Budnicks 23 T Ford Altered Crower Inj. #1.JPG

Budnicks 69 RR 440 str-6bbl #1.JPG

Budnicks 71 Camaro 321ci Donovan SBC S-C Alaska Polar Raceway mid 80's.jpg

Budnicks 67 Camaro 8.98 @ Sacramento early 1980's.JPG

Budnicks Bart 16 years old in Clayton Ca..JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back