• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with starter

"The starter was going out". So, I assume THAT starter functioned well beforehand. Rebuild it, and problem solved.

That number shows to be a factory starter not a lightweight starter.
The starter number was a light weigh starter I got 3 years ago. Guy said they don't rebuild old factory starters. Think he said not enough cores, don't know if it's true.

Last edited:
When I looked the 244-1083 number up napa showed a picture of the OEM mopar starter. If it was the lightweight version I will bet that that hard plastic wiring lug was on it and the starter was not fitting into the bell correctly.

What is a hard plastic wiring lug? That might be the problem. Do you have a picture?

What is a hard plastic wiring lug? That might be the problem. Do you have a picture?
Was yours like this?

starter3-jpg-1018369983.jpg

Weird question but it's not a smallblock with a 904 trans and a b&m flex plate?
That's the only case of that starter not working with the combo that I've heard of.

Probably 50% of the time on a bigblock, there's interference on the starter housing to the inner U of the block. Clean it up with a mini die grinder and carbide. Check the starter sits flat and square to the trans without obstruction from the block.

And yes with our supplier they send you a new style starter at the old style prices. About half the cost they should be . We love it.

I removed that black piece and hooked wires where there are two more lugs. Nose of starter was tight, Before you hook battery check copper lugs aren't hitting hlock, sometimes they need to be trimmed. I slid a piece of cardboard up behind starter to make sure nothing touching block.

Weird question but it's not a smallblock with a 904 trans and a b&m flex plate?
That's the only case of that starter not working with the combo that I've heard of.

Probably 50% of the time on a bigblock, there's interference on the starter housing to the inner U of the block. Clean it up with a mini die grinder and carbide. Check the starter sits flat and square to the trans without obstruction from the block.

And yes with our supplier they send you a new style starter at the old style prices. About half the cost they should be . We love it.
Mine was $60 plus tax 3/4 years ago.

Is the starter for a 1968 different from 1969? I am wondering if the transmission or at least the bellhousing was changed. It looks like the one I took off was for a 1968.

Is the starter for a 1968 different from 1969? I am wondering if the transmission or at least the bellhousing was changed. It looks like the one I took off was for a 1968.
Same.

The starter I ordered at NAPA showed the original type but they only ship the new style starter 2 times. Store checked for the original starter and could not get them.

Most starter crap out because the connection under power stud burns up from arcing. Bendix craps out. Other things do cause problems but those two cause most failures. MO

Took off the plastic cover and bolted the wires on the starter and fixed it. Thank you
Wow. It must have been pretty sideways if you bolted it up with the smallblock extension on it..
Good to hear it's solved.

Auto Transport Service
Back