• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help with starter

rduckert

Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
I have recently bought a 1969 plymouth roadrunner. The starter was going out so I ordered a new one. What I got was a new light weight starter. After putting it on I could hear it popping out and spinning but the engine didn't Crank. Looking through the flywheel cover I can see it was not reaching the flywheel tried another with same results and a third. Napa said it is the right starter. Any thoughts?

compare the nose of the old one to the new one.
1691452137583.png

I could not get the original starter from NAPA or Auto Quest. Both sent the new style starter
I did not install any but had the original rebuilt.
Hope you can find a starter.

I have recently bought a 1969 plymouth roadrunner. The starter was going out so I ordered a new one. What I got was a new light weight starter. After putting it on I could hear it popping out and spinning but the engine didn't Crank. Looking through the flywheel cover I can see it was not reaching the flywheel tried another with same results and a third. Napa said it is the right starter. Any thoughts?
Welcome to a great sight.
Post in the welcome wagon and introduce your self,
We will need pics also, we like pictures.
Back to the starter.... so what did they give you ? Our local napa the kids head starts to smoke if you hit him with anything pre 90s.

The nose is the same. The starter gear will not pop out far enough. Wondering if anyone else had this problem. I am hoping the old starter can be rebuilt.

The nose is the same. The starter gear will not pop out far enough. Wondering if anyone else had this problem. I am hoping the old starter can be rebuilt.
do you have Advance Auto or Oreillys Auto? could order from Summit Racing

I just was on the napa sight
Oem style rebuild is $68.99 exchange
# RAY2441083
Or the mini or Dakota style
164.99 new, # NRO4N6415

What part number did they sell you ?

This is the old starter I took off. Napa seems to think it is a marine starter.

20230803_103218.jpg

This is the NAPA starter I used, no problem. Had to remove plastic cover where wires mount. Edit automatic trans.
starter NAPA.jpg

Last edited:
At this point I am thinking the starters from napa was the right starter but something is different on the car

But if the starters from napa was the right starters and if there was something changed on the car then those won't work either. I need to find out what that is.

Post a picture of the starter you bought. My bets it was not fitting the bell correctly.

Had a little trouble getting nose of starter into bellhousing, tight fit.

Auto Transport Service
Back