• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

need help

scotts74charger

Local time
5:00 AM
Reaction score
got everything put back together and engine fired right up!! thats the good part so what i need help with is when accelerating there is a hesitation and backfire if given alot of gas. any suggestions??

bad carb,bad gas, bad timing. could many things. need some details of what has been done I think.

Agreed we may need more info but for grins check the firing order. You may have two wires crossed.

first of all the timing gear had about 1/2 inch of play on bothe sides so i replaced the gears and chain and at the same time replaced every gasket on the engine. as well as new mechanical fuel pump new holley 750 and pertronix ignition to get rid of the points. and after all was put together fired on first try and will start with barley a turn of the key lol. any other questions just ask i am trying to get this thing running enough t drive daily since my other veh is a 07 cummins and i live on base i only drive about a mile to work and then all over the base every day so trying not to be to hard on the start and stop of the diesel 40 times a day.

blown PV perhaps?still hard to say without just throwing out things. lean maybe, timing as stated? go through the basics again.

I just want to be clear about your problem?
The term "back fire" means it happens on the engine side(Carb,intake) I assume you mean out the tail pipe and not through the carb? The exhaust side is called an "Afterfire" either way it sounds like it may be a timing issue.
Timing too advanced will back fire through the carb.
An engine that runs lean will produce an incomplete combustion -- the partially burned air and fuel mix will travel to the exhaust manifold and detonate upon the next combustion cycle.
Normally an exhaust leak will cause an "afterfire", do you have one?

A vacuum leak will cause a lean misfire.A vac leak will also cause hesitation,stalling,rough idle.

Auto Transport Service
Back