• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need safety glass advice

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:25 AM
Reaction score
I'm currently working in my driveway.
When i have to work under the car it already happened a couple times that i get dirt into my eyes falling of the car.

Unfortunately the underside of the car is relatively dirty and i also suspect the old factory undercoating coming off a bit.
Its also relatively dark so i sometimes just don't see it coming.

I tried a safety glass (that looks kinda like divers glasses) that was laying around.
Unfortunately it instantly fogs up.

I tried some (i suspect cheap) safety glasses that we have that look mostly like sunglasses but
that did not prevent the dirt from getting into my eyes.

Are there safety glasses that prevent dirt from getting into my eyes when laying under the car that do not fog up aswell?
What to look out for when buying such glasses?

The goggles work good, and most will fit over eyeglasses if you need to wear them.
I have these: I posted Amazon description, link doesn't seem to work?

DEWALT DPG82-11C Concealer Clear Anti-Fog Dual Mold Safety Goggle, Clear Lens, 1 Pair​

I have some prescription safety glasses that look about like normal glasses with side shields.
They are OK for general work, but not real good at keeping flying debris from coming around the edges.
When I am grinding, I usually use a face shield too., and a N-95 mask with exhaust valve:

3M Particulate Respirator 8511, Pack of 10, N95, Cool Flow Exhalation Valve, Disposable, Braided Comfort Strap, M Noseclip​

I am a fashion nightmare when I am welding. I wear a green flame resistant gaiter type hood to protect my head and neck from the UV rays.
9 oz FR Cotton Hood With Neck & Shoulder Drape - Green - Steiner Industries

Last edited:
Seems totally off base I know, but I used to wear Oakley goggles for motorcycle racing... they were designed to fit over glasses, wiped down with supplied antifog cloth before use.....they never fogged up, even when I was soaking wet, sitting still and sweating like the pig that I am...

What about a face shield? You should have one for grinding. Those 4" grinding wheels are nasty if they break. Safety glasses aren't enough. Had a small grain from grinding disc bounce off my forehead then off inside safety glasses lens then in my eye.

face shields amazon - Google Search

Last edited:
You guys think something like this works?
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/dc/v100801062/

Its pretty affordable.
Yep, Good plan. I wear ethier safety glasses or goggles simular to those.
Under cars , grinding , ect
I wear the glasses even useing the weed eater at home. Before that I have had several trips to the Dr. To get steel ect removed from a eye.

Well then i will go ahead and get me one of these 3m ones i linked or similar.

Thanks. :)

Auto Transport Service
Back