• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need second opinion.

Brandon4401968

Local time
10:35 PM
Reaction score
Getting ready to build a 440 I bought not too long ago but I have some concerns. As you can see there is some pitting around the water jackets and as I was bolting it on the stand, I heard some rattling and found an old freeze plug and some debris in the block. The block has already been machined but after finding that, I am wondering if I should take it to somebody else and have it looked at. This is my first engine build, so I am extra paranoid.
20200327_202014.jpg
20200327_202048.jpg
20200327_202014.jpg
20200327_202048.jpg
20200327_202438.jpg
20200327_202014.jpg
20200327_202048.jpg
20200327_202438.jpg
20200327_202438.jpg
Thank you.

Has the block been sonic checked? If not, you'll be taking it to a shop to get that done before anything else. They'll give you their professional opinion on your other concerns.

I would definitely take it somewhere to get looked at. Can you imagine the horror of that first start up and then watching it grenade because of crap inside of it?

did they install new cam bearings and freeze plugs? did they not hot tank and clean the block ?

What he said above.... however, I think that pitting is inside the gasket, so metal to coolant there

did you have it hot tanked before the machine shop? you can get the old plug out.Did you ask the machine shop what they thought about the pitting? Are you building a street or strip engine? Just need some info.

question the shop not finding the core plug
you can fill those scratches with devcon/ jb weld etc and flle and be fine
if you do find something not right then take out the cam bearings and start over
drill the main feeds etc to clean as much as anything
I drill then use a reamer
there are plugs you have to take out to really clean
if it turns out to be just the cor plug oversight then proceed
does the hone match your rings
deck match your gasket choice, etc
depends of this a blueprint build or a used car buld or somewhere in between

As stated above The pitting is not where the head gasket goes, they have a larger oblong hole there. Put a head gasket on there and see. No harm there.

don’t JB weld your head gasket surface! Ever!

The core plug could have been in there for years from a previous replacement. Not uncommon for rust and scale to be in the water jackets and not come out, hot tanking is hot what it once was.

None of this is worrysome.

As stated above The pitting is not where the head gasket goes, they have a larger oblong hole there. Put a head gasket on there and see. No harm there.

don’t JB weld your head gasket surface! Ever!.
Why not? I'm here to tell you it works. Not just on an old slant 6 either. Filled the O ring grooves in my 340 block. Ran regular Felpro gaskets, 13lbs boost. My Indy -1 heads were filled in deeper pits that these. 15-1 compression. No issues with either one.
Doug

There’s no need to JB Weld those water jacket areas, they stay wet. Head gaskets holes are larger than the water holes.

Thank you for the feedback, I was told it's a 67 block, was Sonic checked and bored 30 over . I didn't get the Machining done myself as it was done before I bought it. It will be 99% Street driven and would like to build it to around 500 HP. The Cam bearings were installed but that also has me concerned, I thought the bearings were supposed to be installed perfectly centered?

20200327_221756.jpg

you can drill the feeds to 5/16 or 11/32
I've seen them much worse than that
but check all holes ad threads
holes not drilled all the way through are not uncommon, broken drill tips, etc

I'd love to crotch kick the people that click disagree and don't have the integrity to explain.

Enjoying the "second opinion" :D

None of the things you pointed out concern me, and will not give you any problems. However, these things do raise questions regarding other things that the machine shop did, or did not do that you cannot necessarily see, but do matter.

Ask yourself these questions: did you get a "great deal" on this motor? How well do you know the guy you bought it from? What do you know about the machine shop that did the work? And, do you have receipts for what was done/purchased?

Thank you for the feedback, I was told it's a 67 block, was Sonic checked and bored 30 over . I didn't get the Machining done myself as it was done before I bought it. It will be 99% Street driven and would like to build it to around 500 HP. The Cam bearings were installed but that also has me concerned, I thought the bearings were supposed to be installed perfectly centered?

View attachment 928235
The cam bearing oil hole in your picture is lined up as good as, maybe even a little better, than the ones in the 440 I recently pulled from an RV, which had never been apart. Everything inside looked great and there was no evidence oiling had been any issue. Those holes, they're usually never perfectly aligned and run just fine..a little 'crescent moon' won't hurt a thing.

those bores look clean and bright if fine enough for molly rings
run a brush through the holes
if clean you are good to go
unless you need to bottle brush the bores
now stick the crank in and snug it down and see how it spins
put a rod and piston in the 4 corners no rings- and check your deck height
depending on your build criteria you may have to deck it
what brandon just said

did you have it hot tanked before the machine shop? you can get the old plug out.Did you ask the machine shop what they thought about the pitting? Are you building a street or strip engine? Just need some
The guy I bought it from said it was hot Tanked, I'm not sure what machine shop done the work though. I was able to get the old plug out also. I'm planning on building a street engine. Thank you

Auto Transport Service
Back