• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need second opinion.

well some good news is that there are no mosterous chamfers around the bores
or tappet bores
can't tell if the decks are the same height or square
do you have your rotating assembly yet?
nice to have your deck height before you order
or if you have it do a trial assembly
cheers

I just completed a 440 build. If you have not done so I would recommend giving your new cam to your machine shop to make sure that the cam spins freely with no drag. 2 of my new cam bearings needed to be reamed a little once we checked with my new cam. This has been the cause of some spun bearing issues on big blocks....

Getting ready to build a 440 I bought not too long ago but I have some concerns. As you can see there is some pitting around the water jackets and as I was bolting it on the stand, I heard some rattling and found an old freeze plug and some debris in the block. The block has already been machined but after finding that, I am wondering if I should take it to somebody else and have it looked at. This is my first engine build, so I am extra paranoid. View attachment 928200 View attachment 928201 View attachment 928200 View attachment 928201View attachment 928203 View attachment 928200 View attachment 928201 View attachment 928203 View attachment 928203 Thank you.
You'll be fine, put a little silicone around the water jackets. I've built a lot of engines with this same issue. Remember, you're working with a 51 YO block

Auto Transport Service
Back