• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need some engine advice

Actually no. At the very start of this rodeo I told him and paid for Harland Sharpe rockers, and this is all in our original conversations and the quote. Was quite surprised last year when I pulled the covers off while we were trying to figure out the detonation issue and saw these PRW's.
So he screwed up your build, AND he scammed you on parts? I'D be showing up at his shop with a an axe handle and give him a memory lesson.

Sorry to hear that a supposedly reputable builder made such a serious....oversight.
I'd be just as interested, (as you might be), to hear how much the PRW rockers were given for side clearance. I have a set on my heads, and thankfully I figured out early that the side clearances called for by PRW are WRONG. They ask for .0015-.0020. Should be .015-.020. Might want to look at that too. Good luck, and keep us posted.
I talked to him last night. He did mention checking that as well after setting the preload. I kind of missed how he was saying to do that because at that exact time I was focused on the sight of the nut laying in the head, which I had just found.

So he screwed up your build, AND he scammed you on parts? I'D be showing up at his shop with a an axe handle and give him a memory lesson.
Problem is that he is in CA and I am in WI.

I posted above the procedure to set them
Missed that post last night somehow. Found the chart as to how I did it with solids. Your way seems easier to keep track of.

BBM-Mopar-Valve-Lash-Adjustment-Chart-607x607.jpg

Actually no. At the very start of this rodeo I told him and paid for Harland Sharpe rockers, and this is all in our original conversations and the quote. Was quite surprised last year when I pulled the covers off while we were trying to figure out the detonation issue and saw these PRW's.

So you directed him to HS rockers, he agreed, you paid for them, and it is in the bill of sale. That's easy. Have him send you th Harland Sharps you paid for.

I am going to mess with this today. One other question. I was going to pull the plugs to check them anyway. So can I do the preload adjustment while they are out and turn the motor over by hand? Or because of them being hydraulic, do they need to be set by bumping the starter over under load to make sure they are pumped up? Or doesn't it matter?

So you directed him to HS rockers, he agreed, you paid for them, and it is in the bill of sale. That's easy. Have him send you th Harland Sharps you paid for.
He conveniently left it off the final bill breakdown. At this point it is water under the bridge to me....

One thing I noticed on all the cheap rockers, like PRW, 440source, etc, is that the area machined for the nut wasn’t always perpendicular to the adjuster so the nut wouldn’t sit flat resulting in nuts that won’t stay tight. I only use T&D or Jesel these days.

He conveniently left it off the final bill breakdown. At this point it is water under the bridge to me....
Would you be kind enough to name the builder, to potentially prevent other members from getting scammed? My apologies if you have already done so.

Would you be kind enough to name the builder, to potentially prevent other members from getting scammed? My apologies if you have already done so.
I did last year in my thread about the first engine detonation diagnostics. Not sure I really want to again as he was decent to me yesterday on the phone. I can PM you if you like, but your inbox is full.

One thing I noticed on all the cheap rockers, like PRW, 440source, etc, is that the area machined for the nut wasn’t always perpendicular to the adjuster so the nut wouldn’t sit flat resulting in nuts that won’t stay tight. I only use T&D or Jesel these days.
That would make more sense than him forgetting to tighten 7 of the 16. My concern with that is it will happen again.

The nut should leave a witness mark on the rocker, so you should be able to see if they are seating square.

One thing I noticed on all the cheap rockers, like PRW, 440source, etc, is that the area machined for the nut wasn’t always perpendicular to the adjuster so the nut wouldn’t sit flat resulting in nuts that won’t stay tight.

This is why I asked.

TF heads and PRW rockers also seems like an odd combo to me. I'll have to ask him if this is his typical direction the next time I talk to him.

Last edited:
This is why I asked.

TF heads and PRW rockers also seems like an combo to me. I'll have to ask him if this is his typical direction the next time I talk to him.
I believe you guys are on to something here. Check this out. You can clearly see the nut marking the rocker on the lower side but not on top.

20210814_073009.jpg

I believe you guys are on to something here. Check this out. You can clearly see the nut marking the rocker on the lower side but not on top.

View attachment 1152070
That’s pretty typical of those rockers. Those won’t stay tight like that. You need to spot face them. They also exert a bending force on the adjuster which isn’t good at all. Typical Chinese quality. This is why a “well built” engine of this type is 25-30K. A high horsepower race engine is more like 50-75K.

View attachment 1152070
I would seat each nut several times to see if they change. The one you are looking at may look that way as the nut may not of left a full mark as it was not fully tightened. I would not worry to much about this unless it happens after you have made sure they are tight.

Missed that post last night somehow. Found the chart as to how I did it with solids. Your way seems easier to keep track of.

View attachment 1152038
I used to do it this way to. However most smart guys [not me], Cam companies as well as engine builders prefer the way I posted. They claim these cams have had profile changes in design so the old chart method can be inaccurate. They claim the cam may not be on the back side of the base circle which will result in an inaccurate setting. Especially in cams with more lift and duration changes from stock. Having a helper bar the motor over will help. I use my remote start button.

My concern with that is it will happen again.

That’s a legitimate concern.

You’ll want to check them fairly regularly to make sure it’s not happening again.
At least until you’re sure it’s not a continuing issue.

Chinese rockers........ I just don’t use them.

It wouldn’t surprise me if there was a set of HS rockers in your future.

I would run between 1/2 and 3/4 turn preload if I were adjusting them.

It wouldn’t surprise me if there was a set of HS rockers in your future.
Exactly my thoughts as well. Very upsetting that he didn't give me the HS setup I originally asked for.....

Auto Transport Service
Back