• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need to dial back my 440 to make it more street-able

Well yes I like the .509 cam too, "in the right combination". It definitely sounds like this is set up more fer racin'....without knowing the compression ratio, I think just dropping the stall and gearing is going to make it even less fun..
None of the things you want to change are particularly "quick and easy", so if you're digging in that far I would seriously consider swapping cams too. You can do MUCH better, especially for a true 'street driver', than that cam. Sounds like it's probably better matched up with the combo as it sits. But, like the guys are saying, lots of folks run it in a driver and like it. Plenty of people hated it for driving around, too....
One thing I'd do, is jack up the rear, pop it in neutral and turn the driveshaft by hand. Count how many times it turns for one full turn of the tire, then you'll know for sure what the gearing is.

Thanks alot Good info

rpms are over 3000 at 45 50 mph
rpms are over 3000 at 45 50 mph

Wow, Have you ever checked what rear end gear you have? I didn't see how tall your rear tire is but that's a lot of RPM at 45 to 50 MPH. I have a 28 inch tall tire, 4000 stall 9.5 inch converter, 4.10 rear gear and at 65 MPH my tach shows 3200 to 3300 RPM.

3000rpm at 50mph, with a normal size tire, and decent converter efficiency, calculates to 4.56. Not a gear i would put behind a 440. Crawl under it and find out what gear you really have. And have you checked to make SURE your tach and speedo are accurate? We had a member here just a couple weeks ago whose tach read two thousand rpm too high at freeway speed.

For what it's worth, I was at 3,500 in 4th 1:1 w/a 26" tire and 3.54 gears.
Now at 2,750 w/5th gear and 4.10s.
My point is the 750 less RPMs is a much bigger improvement than the number might suggest. Much quieter, engine seems happier, and I am much more relaxed running at 2,750 than 3,500 at 72 MPH.

Been a long time since mines been out of the garage, but I believe it was 3k or so RPMs around 50-55.
440, .030 over, 509 purple shaft cam, six barrel setup, 3.91 rear, 727 manual shift, converter is TCI 3000.

It doesn't like highway cruising. It did ok on the street if you kept your foot off the fun pedal. :steering:

3000rpm at 50mph, with a normal size tire, and decent converter efficiency, calculates to 4.56. Not a gear i would put behind a 440. Crawl under it and find out what gear you really have. And have you checked to make SURE your tach and speedo are accurate? We had a member here just a couple weeks ago whose tach read two thousand rpm too high at freeway speed.

Good info Sir. Thank you

I repost once i find out the gear ratio

Do you know what brand converter is in the car. Because I can tell you I have a 4200 flash 9.5 Dynamic converter in my 63 and it works perfect on the street. Drives like a normal car and flashes to 4200 at the track. I can cruise at 2500 rpm with no converter slippage at all. They can make very good street/strip converters today. Myself I would never go to a 2800 converter and 3.23 gears with the MP .509 cam. The car will be a pig out of the hole like that. I would at least keep a good converter in it that is a streetable converter that's rated at 3800 or more if you drop to 3.23's. I seen to many guys put the .509 cam in a 3.23 geared car with a stock converter and then complain the car is a dog. You need some gear and converter with the .509 cam. Ron

Another vote for the 509 cam.
Had it in my car with a 4 speed and 3.23, then a 3.54, worked just fine!

Do you know what brand converter is in the car. Because I can tell you I have a 4200 flash 9.5 Dynamic converter in my 63 and it works perfect on the street. Drives like a normal car and flashes to 4200 at the track. I can cruise at 2500 rpm with no converter slippage at all. They can make very good street/strip converters today. Myself I would never go to a 2800 converter and 3.23 gears with the MP .509 cam. The car will be a pig out of the hole like that. I would at least keep a good converter in it that is a streetable converter that's rated at 3800 or more if you drop to 3.23's. I seen to many guys put the .509 cam in a 3.23 geared car with a stock converter and then complain the car is a dog. You need some gear and converter with the .509 cam. Ron

Sweet ride!!!!

Thanks alot thats good info

Thanks alot thats good info
Had a Z28, I know I know, 3.73 gear 26” tire 3000 @ 60 mph. (Auto) That being said, cam is a good one but won’t give much vacuum at idle. I would check the timing curve. It can make or break a ride. Like a puzzle, just need to get the parameters in the right place. I use that cam in my car, an early 70s version, been in 3 different engines and the last (1993) the lifters got put wherever.

Gentlemen,
Can anyone give me some advice on dialing back my car to make it more street-able.
Current set up 509 purple shaft in a 440, 4000 rpm stall 391 or higher gear. 850 holley
Sorry thats all the info i have. Car was purchased set up that way.
I want to go with a lower stall converter maybe 2800 and a 323 gear
Will this make the car more street-able or would i have to change the cam as well
Thanks in advance for your input

Pull the 850 Holley off and sell it. Use the money to buy a Holley Sniper and a Holley Hyperspark distributor. That will give you EFI and a computer controlled ignition. Then you can dial in the air fuel ratio and the timing to work with that cam. I've tuned Snipers on several engines like that and it works great.

I have 3.23 gears in the Dana 60 in my Coronet with a Sniper on the engine and it works great, even with a bigger cam than the 509.

Pull the 850 Holley off and sell it. Use the money to buy a Holley Sniper and a Holley Hyperspark distributor. That will give you EFI and a computer controlled ignition. Then you can dial in the air fuel ratio and the timing to work with that cam. I've tuned Snipers on several engines like that and it works great.

I have 3.23 gears in the Dana 60 in my Coronet with a Sniper on the engine and it works great, even with a bigger cam than the 509.
Where did you get 3.23 gears for a Dana?

I believe Dr Diff had them made. Yep, $200 on his site, only 15 bucks more than generic, readily available gears.
Always thought it couldn’t be done because the ring gear would be to thin

Auto Transport Service
Back