• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Never thought I would see the day that someone would think a Hemi Cuda hard top would be worth this kind of money. Not even the 1st one.

I still think Dodge bought up every single 1958 Edsel grille center and stuck two on every 1970 Coronet. Some people think the 1961-62 Dodges were hideous. They are beauty queens when comparing to the face of a '70 Coronet. Flame away!

70 Coronets are a love/ hate car! People either love them or hate them, there is no in-between! Personally I happen to love them myself. I have owned both a 69 1/2 A12 Super bee,and a 69 Coronet R/T, a 70 is on my list of Mopars I want to get.

Automakers are about sales, if one car is selling, they’ll borrow styling cues, didn’t think it was that hard to understand that.

Chrysler was trying fast backs with the barracuda, and weren’t selling as good as the turdmaro. So guess what they did, they took the styling cues…..however turdmaro changed :lol:
Exactly what I said. I didn’t mean to insult anyone, that wasn’t my intent but some cars styling cues were copied really close. Hence the 70 Cuda and Camaro but yet they still mostly outsell anything.

70 Coronets are a love/ hate car! People either love them or hate them, there is no in-between! Personally I happen to love them myself. I have owned both a 69 1/2 A12 Super bee,and a 69 Coronet R/T, a 70 is on my list of Mopars I want to get.

But in all these years, you haven't gotten one yet which means that your subconscious is telling you something.

What is wild is the '70 Coronet looks great from every view but the front and any 3/4-front views, to me. I'd own one, sure; but they are not my go-to B-body, by any stretch.

But in all these years, you haven't gotten one yet which means that your subconscious is telling you something.
I tried to buy the one Nate was selling but I didn't offer enough cash for it. My other friend Dave had a b5 blue 70 Superbee 383 4 speed car with no vynal top and blue interior with white c stripes. I should have bought that one!

I tried to buy the one Nate was selling but I didn't offer enough cash for it. My other friend Dave had a b5 blue 70 Superbee 383 4 speed car with no vynal top and blue interior with white c stripes. I should have bought that one!

Once again, your subconscious made the right decision. :lol:

The Marlin and the 1st Charger? Thing is I don't understand how a 70's Cuda even comes close to looking like a Camaro. Yeah, they are both pretty much the same size and the roof line is close but to me that's about it. Heck I had lots more people saying 'nice Camaro' when they were looking at my 70 Challenger and can't remember anyone saying that when looking at my Cuda. Maybe they were trying to insult me but I usually laughed and came back with 'it's obvious you didn't do too well on spelling tests.....' I said lots of stuff but that was one of my many retorts.

you’re not alone. I hate trailer queens, I hate garage queens, I hate the people that trailer their car to the car show, and spend the whole time with their feather duster making sure it’s absolutely perfect, and the ones that talk **** about some of the rattier cars, can eat a bag of dog crap!

These cars are meant to be driven, they’re meant to be enjoyed.
Agreed. This is why I built my Shaker hood 70 Challenger my way. It makes more than triple the power a stock Hemi Challenger makes. I can drive it anywhere not worrying about it value and I have way less into it than people think because I have the satisfaction of doing all the work myself, with the help of some buddies. THAT IS WHAT THIS HOBBY IS ALL ABOUT.

I have had a few, including a 6 pack 4 spd one. I really like them, my buddies down south called them the 'ugly bee'. Lol. I just said it leaves more for me.

I have had a few, including a 6 pack 4 spd one. I really like them, my buddies down south called them the 'ugly bee'. Lol. I just said it leaves more for me.
I like 68-70 Coronet and Super Bees.

I don't see any Australian Valiant Chargers selling for 3.5 million dollars! Reguardless of the money Chrysler made,the Hemicuda was king Kong in 1970,and the street cred sold a lot of other models. Chrysler created a legend that stood the test of time to this day. An Australian based pony car would have gone the way of the first generation Barracuda where Chrysler could have owned the pony car market, but based their entry on an unattractive car to begin with. I can see why they started with a clean slate for 1970. The timing was the problem, insurance companies were putting an end to muscle cars, the EPA was putting an end to muscle cars, and Opec was putting an end to muscle cars too. The deck was stacked against the E body cars before the first one ever rolled of the assembly line!

I don't see any Australian Valiant Chargers selling for 3.5 million dollars! Reguardless of the money Chrysler made,the Hemicuda was king Kong in 1970,and the street cred sold a lot of other models. Chrysler created a legend that stood the test of time to this day. An Australian based pony car would have gone the way of the first generation Barracuda where Chrysler could have owned the pony car market, but based their entry on an unattractive car to begin with. I can see why they started with a clean slate for 1970. The timing was the problem, insurance companies were putting an end to muscle cars, the EPA was putting an end to muscle cars, and Opec was putting an end to muscle cars too. The deck was stacked against the E body cars before the first one ever rolled of the assembly line!

Extrapolating the writer's "logic", he sounds like Chrysler should've done like Ford did with the Capri. The Capri wasn't wildly successful in the US, but was a hit in West Germany and in the UK, where the Mustang was but a minor player in those markets. I'm thinking how the E-body was not successful? Five model years...not a two-year disaster like the Hudson Jet. Hell, Pintos (10 model years 1971 - 1980) and Vegas sold for eight (1971 - 1978)...average cars that sold well.

I don't think the Aussie Charger would've done well in the North American market, without eliminating the A-body from production in 1970. Way too close to a Dart/Valiant in size, where the A-body sold well from 1963 - 1976. I'd really like to own one these days, but the Chrysler Valiant Charger just wouldn't have made the impact (new) in the US like the E-bodies did...IMO.

f6fd0f347ed1465cb7e552f3ea39a290.jpg

R.f7dc523f45b080009eccdcbf39b2c067

Last edited:
Had Plymouth done what they did in1970,back in 1964,they would have been called fish cars instead of pony cars!

Funny thing is Plymouth beat the Ford Mustang to market with the Barracuda by a couple of weeks or so, but Ford's PR campaign was massive! Ford dealers had their showroom windows covered to keep the public interest in the debut high. Plymouth dealers had a very lackluster debut, by contrast.

Had Chrysler offered up the Valiant Charger as a replacement for the A-body for the 1970MY, while simultaneously debuting the E-body; think what THAT could've been like! Who knows how that would've changed the course of auto manufacturing in Australia, and at the same time, improved Chrysler's position in the US and Canada?

Last edited:
Extrapolating the writer's "logic", he sounds like Chrysler should've done like Ford did with the Capri. The Capri wasn't wildly successful in the US, but was a hit in West Germany and in the UK, where the Mustang was but a minor player in those markets. I'm thinking how the E-body was not successful? Five model years...not a two-year disaster like the Hudson Jet. Hell, Pintos (10 model years 1971 - 1980) and Vegas sold for eight (1971 - 1978)...average cars that sold well.

I don't think the Aussie Charger would've done well in the North American market, without eliminating the A-body from production in 1970. Way too close to a Dart/Valiant in size, where the A-body sold well from 1963 - 1976. I'd really like to own one these days, but the Chrysler Valiant Charger just wouldn't have made the impact (new) in the US like the E-bodies did...IMO.

View attachment 1418209
R.f7dc523f45b080009eccdcbf39b2c067
I don’t agree with everything the author said by a long shot and the Aussie Charger getting mentioned is just funny to me but compared to the success of the Duster in terms of sales the E-Body was a joke and by 1975 the E-Bodies were no more. I do believe if Chrysler would have dropped the A-Body completely the E-Body would have been a lot more successful but I could be wrong.

Auto Transport Service
Back