• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New 73 rallye 440 owner here : D

Don't laugh,,or cry. I can't tell you how much of that stuff, the little chin spoilers and other parts shipped in the trunk that we were supposed to install,,,,just got thrown away.But yes,anything that was factory available could be ordered and installed at the dealership.Remember those were the days no one wanted those stupid looking Daytona Chargers/Superbirds that sat on the lot and dealers couldn't get rid of.Now the cars are worth a fortune.Later the Hang 10 Darts,Spirit of 76 cars,crazy stripes on Aspen R/T's and Volare' Roadrunners,,the dealers would give them away at cost just to get them off the lot.Some cars the factory made the dealers take them.

I'm sorry to get off subject. It just brought back memories.I'll shut up now....

OK yy1 is correct thanks I actually talked to a few guys about this and there were a hand full of cars that those moldings were installed on as per the buyer wanting them so mid 73 they made an option code so they could be added we don't have an exact number of how many were sold like that......

Welll let's think that through....

M31 was standard on WP cars so the molding was available all model year so the molding was available for use on WH and WL models all year.

I have a 73 WH fender tag from the St. Louis plant with a 901 SPD so the M31 was available on September 1. So that tells us the story of M31 being a mid year introduction on WH cars is not true. Plus, IF M31 was a 'buyer wanting them' deal, then they would have had to been dealer installed which means they were not 'factory'. IF it was a 'buyer wanting them' and they were installed at the factory they would still code on a STL fender tag. Plus, the buyer would have had to pay for them either way and they would have had to be listed on the window sticker if the moldings were provided by the factory. IF they were on the window sticker there had to be a cost associated with them.

Every 73 STL built WH car I have on file has M31. So unless a legitimate WH tag shows up without M31, then we have to presume that M31 was standard on WH cars.

I do not see M31 listed as optional for WH cars on any order paperwork or in the data book.

I do not have enough WL cars on file to know how M31 coincides with that model.

Last edited:
Interesting.

I do agree that I'm fairly sure I've seen rallye cars without that belt molding.

Apples to different apples but my RL21 car does not have belt or drip molding, only side.

Welll let's think that through....

M31 was standard on WP cars so the molding was available all model year so the molding was available for use on WH and WL models all year.

I have a 73 WH fender tag from the St. Louis plant with a 901 SPD so the M31 was available on September 1. So that tells us the story of M31 being a mid year introduction on WH cars is not true. Plus, IF M31 was a 'buyer wanting them' deal, then they would have had to been dealer installed which means they were not 'factory'. IF it was a 'buyer wanting them' and they were installed at the factory they would still code on a STL fender tag. Plus, the buyer would have had to pay for them either way and they would have had to be listed on the window sticker if the moldings were provided by the factory. IF they were on the window sticker there had to be a cost associated with them.

Every 73 STL built WH car I have on file has M31. So unless a legitimate WH tag shows up without M31, then we have to presume that M31 was standard on WH cars.

I do not see M31 listed as optional for WH cars on any order paperwork or in the data book.

I do not have enough WL cars on file to know how M31 coincides with that model.
Wow..! ! You wouldn't happen to know how many 73 rallye's where made with the 440 ?
I have a print out from the old owner that's says 6,019 rallyes where produced, and
713 440's in that year , but not how many rallye+440's ..? ? ?
00m0m_d82da8SgGlv_600x450.jpg
00m0m_d82da8SgGlv_600x450.jpg

Would love to see some pictures of your project. Bezels are not reproduced and very hard to find. I suggest you keep looking while you reassemble and some will turn up. If you manage to get NOS, you will pay a lot for them and good second hand are hard to get. Maybe try Tonys Parts, he is a vendor on here.
Thank you on the heads up on the bezels,
I found a guy in Kentucky that had the whole bumper assembly. .he said the bezels where un broken but the bumper rus was squeezing the one .I told him to leave it alone , jumped in the truck 10 hrs later I had then freed from the bumper with out a brake , :) plus I got some good moldings , and extra license plate stuff.
The search also netted me an un dented nose ! ! Also he had the thin rocker panel rallye trim . 1 needs some love , but the other is in good shape .4 bills , Friday was a good day
Thanks again for the heads up..
20160527_183826.jpg

20160527_173707.jpg
20160527_181020.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back