• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New A12 owner - I need help with idle solenoid

BrianInTexas

Local time
2:10 PM
Reaction score
I bought my A-12 last April (paid too much, but that's my own stupidity...LOL)... Anyway, the wire to the idle solenoid was disconnected, so I plugged it in, started the car and immediately, the wire started smoking...I shut the engine off, pulled wire off and restarted engine with no problem...obviously the solenoid was shorted to ground. Here's where I need help...
1) What is the solenoid for?...I've only seen these on AC cars and to my knowledge, no A12s were AC cars.
2) When does the solenoid energize?...engine start only, whenever the car is running, only when the car is cold?...
3) can I rebuild or get a replacement solenoid?...this is a factory accurate restored #'s car...I'm trying to keep it correct.

Thanks,
Brian

Hemi and six packs got the selonoid, it's for anti dieseling and is on until you run the key to the off position.

Usually used to idle the engine up slightly when the A/C is on or the compressor will pull the engine down too much and probably stall under load. Others were used to keep the throttle blades from closing too quickly on deceleration. If it's for A/C it's activated with the A/C, if it's otherwise it will actuate with engine temperature or sudden deceleration that activates a vacuum switch. You should be able to find them online I would think but I'm not sure of getting OEM or NOS. You'll have to search. The force be with you!

Hemi and six packs got the selonoid, it's for anti dieseling and is on until you run the key to the off position.

Thanks...That would make sense...Now I just need to find the right parts to rebuild mine or a NOS...looks like these are hard to find now.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks...I'm looking for parts now.

Brian, dales cuda shop has them as repops. If used properly, set your idle when the solenoid is energized to appx 900 rpms. Most solenoids are there only for oem looks.

Chuck

Chuck, thanks for the additional information. I'll check with Dales Cuda shop. Is there an OEM solenoid (Dodge, GM, or other) that could be used for the guts to rebuild my original? I've seen some threads mentioning this but with NOS OEM solenoids. But I don't recall seeing any part numbers either way.

Thanks,
Brian

Not sure how they are built, but it's prob an electro-magnet that is actuated by 12 volts when the key is on. Maybe someone who re builds electric motors can re wire the e-magnet in there. Unless the wire is really fine. Just a thought.

Hey Brian, if you send me several pictures of your original one, I might have an extra OEM one for you. I know I've got at least one six-pack solenoid in a spare parts bin in my garage. I'm not "OEM number expert", but if I can see some pictures & visible part numbers (if any) I can take a look to see if my extra one is OEM.

image.jpeg
Hey Brian, if you send me several pictures of your original one, I might have an extra OEM one for you. I know I've got at least one six-pack solenoid in a spare parts bin in my garage. I'm not "OEM number expert", but if I can see some pictures & visible part numbers (if any) I can take a look to see if my extra one is OEM.
I know it's been almost 2 years since got back to this thread, but I still haven't resolved my solenoid issue. I got distracted and ignored the issue. Now I'm looking at it again. I've learned that I need a model DR1114420, exactly like the one in the photo...NOS, used or a kit to rebuild the one that I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 613974
I know it's been almost 2 years since got back to this thread, but I still haven't resolved my solenoid issue. I got distracted and ignored the issue. Now I'm looking at it again. I've learned that I need a model DR1114420, exactly like the one in the photo...NOS, used or a kit to rebuild the one that I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Check Tony's Parts for NOS, they do sell repops too.

http://www.tonysparts.com/

The reproductions have pretty much all been sold off and is no longer in production. No big loss as they never did work any way. NOS ones sometimes pop up and can bring $300 plus. The 70 style is even more difficult to find and more expensive. The solenoid is a Delco Remy piece and was originally used on the late 60s Pontiac 6 cylinder applications. Standard Ignition had one available many years ago and you might be able to stumble across one of those. They did work ok, but they are about like finding an NOS or nice used one.

They can be reconditioned, but I would suggest sending them out. At one time, Scott Smith of HARMS Carbs or Bill Overcash would occasionally take on the job. You would just have to reach out for them to see if either would be interested in the work.

I have never had one on my Sixpack set up going on almost 25 years now & never have had any dieseling issues. Since the big *** oval air cleaner covers & hides it anyway, no one has ever even noticed or commented on it missing. Shuts right off & starts right back up every time (knock on wood, now that I say that it will diesel somewhere ). LOL.

The reproductions have pretty much all been sold off and is no longer in production. No big loss as they never did work any way. NOS ones sometimes pop up and can bring $300 plus. The 70 style is even more difficult to find and more expensive. The solenoid is a Delco Remy piece and was originally used on the late 60s Pontiac 6 cylinder applications. Standard Ignition had one available many years ago and you might be able to stumble across one of those. They did work ok, but they are about like finding an NOS or nice used one.

They can be reconditioned, but I would suggest sending them out. At one time, Scott Smith of HARMS Carbs or Bill Overcash would occasionally take on the job. You would just have to reach out for them to see if either would be interested in the work.
Thanks for the info...I'll check these leads out.

I have never had one on my Sixpack set up going on almost 25 years now & never have had any dieseling issues. Since the big *** oval air cleaner covers & hides it anyway, no one has ever even noticed or commented on it missing. Shuts right off & starts right back up every time (knock on wood, now that I say that it will diesel somewhere ). LOL.
Good points...I agree that you can't see them...I just need to stop going for the 100% factory correct restoration and be happy with what works.

I have mine in place but inactive, don't need it. Mine also shorted out internally and the wire started smoking so I replaced the wire, took the cover off the solenoid and cut the wire internally that was soldered to the male connector put it back together and plugged it in so it looks 100%. Don't have to worry about a possible wiring fire.

Auto Transport Service
Back