• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New B Body owner 68 Coronet

rmchrgr

Local time
6:14 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my name is Greg. I'm sure many of you have seen me on the other Mopar boards, I've been around a while with the same tag name rmchrgr. I joined here a while ago but haven't posted, no time like the present to start.

So after looking for the better part of two years, I just picked up a '68 Coronet 440 out of Quebec, Canada. Last Saturday (5.12.18) I drove up through Vermont and just over the border into Canada to pick the car up. Brought it home in the rain but the trip was otherwise uneventful. Lot of driving!

A little about me - I am 48, from Stamford, CT which is about an hour north of NYC. Married to Amy with two boys Jake (10) and Jesse (5). Recently, after almost 30 years, I moved back into the house I grew up in. Prior to relocating back to CT, we lived on Long Island for almost 10 years. Before kids, my wife and I lived in Brooklyn for about 5 years and I was in Queens for about 8 years.

If you know me, then you know I'm a Mopar guy to the core. Current stable includes the new-to-me '68 Coronet, a '71 Duster street machine with a small block stroker, a '76 D100 SWB 400/4 speed and my 2017 Ram. Yep, moparornocar.

So anyway, the Coronet came out of Quebec, Canada but was originally a U.S. domestic market vehicle. The P.O. Max restored the car to it's current state. It's 1 of 934 Coronet 440s with a 383. Paint is QQ1 blue. Bench seat, column shift, 3.23 gear and that's about it.

Plans are to drive it as-is for the time being. I will swap in a 4 speed and bucket seats but I'll drive it until I gather up everything needed and it's ready to go in. Other plans include frame connectors/torque boxes and perhaps a low deck stroker with EFI a little further down the road. Every time I get another car, my wife makes me promise I won't take it apart. I'm really gonna try and leave this one alone for a while.

Well, I guess that's it for now. Couple pics below of the Coronet.

IMG_1571.JPG IMG_1573.JPG IMG_1599.JPG IMG_1601.JPG

Nice car man! Welcome to the club brother!

68 is great. (Rhymes)
69 Coronet, my first car.
Blue too!

Welcome.jpg

Nice rides :thumbsup:

love the QQ1 paint too

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Not to veer too far of topic, but here's pics of the other members of the family; The Great Pumpkin (Duster) and The Jolly Green Giant (truck).

IMG_0207.JPG IMG_2299.JPG

Blue 68 Coronets are at the top of my list. Very cool.

Great looking cars and love the truck!

What did you have to do to import the Coronet into the U.S.?

What did you have to do to import the Coronet into the U.S.?

Turns out not much, the whole thing took about 4 minutes. I was prepared with all the right forms and had all my ducks in a row ready for the shakedown but it never materialized.

The border officer seemed very confused as to what I was doing. I gave him my paper work and proof of insurance, he kinda glanced over it, went in the office for a minute, came back out, handed it all back to me and says have a nice day. Took longer to maneuver around the barricades with the truck and trailer.

I didn't even have my passport with me (it's expired anyway) but both sides let me in and out without much hassle. The Canadian side searched my truck but they also did it to the guy ahead of me too so I didn't feel so bad. Apparently he had fresh baked brownies. I only had some mints.

The car was from the US anyway and over 25 years old so no duty fees or EPA jive, it's all exempt. Don't go by what I say though, it would probably be a different story at some other border crossing station.

Turns out not much, the whole thing took about 4 minutes. I was prepared with all the right forms and had all my ducks in a row ready for the shakedown but it never materialized.

The border officer seemed very confused as to what I was doing. I gave him my paper work and proof of insurance, he kinda glanced over it, went in the office for a minute, came back out, handed it all back to me and says have a nice day. Took longer to maneuver around the barricades with the truck and trailer.

I didn't even have my passport with me (it's expired anyway) but both sides let me in and out without much hassle. The Canadian side searched my truck but they also did it to the guy ahead of me too so I didn't feel so bad. Apparently he had fresh baked brownies. I only had some mints.

The car was from the US anyway and over 25 years old so no duty fees or EPA jive, it's all exempt. Don't go by what I say though, it would probably be a different story at some other border crossing station.

Nice! I do recall an exemption for older vehicles.

:welcome:from Ky. Nice ride....sure you won't take it apart!:D

Nice collection.

Thanks all, very nice welcome.

Coronet is under wraps right now because well, I am building a new house and garage. The sheet rock taper is finishing up inside and will start on the garage in the next day or two. The builders were using the garage today to prime the siding and some decking so it can't move until that's all cleared out.

Would like to get it registered sometime later in the week, hopefully Friday if I can swing it. Couple local car shows/cruise-ins coming up, hoping to be able to participate for once rather than just spectate. Supposed to have rained today but it's bright and sunny. Forecast is for rain through Sunday as well so it might be a little bit before I can actually drive the thing.

IMG_1593.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back