• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New carbs

1969CoronetR/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:28 PM
Reaction score
My R/T needs new carburetors as they are shot per the mechanic. It has Edelbrock dual 4-barrel carbs on it now and was wondering if anyone has an opinion on another manufacturer. I had a holley on my 1971 Demon 340, but switched it to a Edelbrock Thunder series. What size would be the best for the 440 cid Coronet? Is a six pack better than the dual 4-barrel? I am new to 'B' bodies in case it was not apparent in my questions,
Thanks,
Mark

Wow... Never heard of Edelbrocks being shot. Did the mechanic provide any details? There isn't much that can go wrong with them from a normal usage standpoint that would render them useless for rebuilding. Even so, if all your hardware is set up for Eddys, I'd stay stick with them (or pick up some used Carter AFB Comp series carbs).

I'd figure out what caused them to become shot so that it wouldn't happen again to the next set of carbs.

I'd speculate that 2 4s is a better setup than 3 2s - one less carb to sync.

He claims the rebuilt ones have a 50/50 chance of failing. Gas is escaping and is collecting on the carb and is dripping into the carb once engine is shut off. I sold him my Holley (had stripped bowls) that he rebuilt for his Mustang, so I can sell him these for a few dollars. Everyone seems to either hate or love Edelbrocks and the same for Holley,

Seems like your mechanic is making out pretty good.He buys your old carbs fixes them put them on his car.But yet they have a chance of failing.

Holley's perform better but if you let the car sit for extended periods of time they have a tenancy to end up with dried up gaskets causing problems and require replacing. Carter/Edel. carbs don't have this problem.

Seems like your mechanic is making out pretty good.He buys your old carbs fixes them put them on his car.But yet they have a chance of failing.

He can fix them as they are his instead of charging me to fix them if they were mine. They are not original so I prefer new ones over the old ones until I learn how to fix them. I will stick with Edelbrock and thanks for the information.

Where is the gas escaping from? I'll agree with most here that the AFB is pretty rock solid and short of throttle shafts wearing out there isn't much else to go wrong (under normal circumstances or course).

If you have gas coming out of the throttle shafts after you shut it down then I'd say you are suffering from crappygasitis. The current fuel has a higher vapor pressure (possibly because of the alcohol content or something) and it seems to be adversely affected by heat. One question: Is your exhaust heat crossover passage in the intake blocked or open? If it's open remove the intake and block it. I think what's going on is the gas is expanding in the bowl and dumping out of the mains into the engine. Just a thought.

Tere is a minor oil leak in the intake that is wicking up from bolts. It also has a manifold leak that needs fixed. I only use 93 octane in all my vehicles, so crappy gas is not tot blame. I will be taken it to another mechanic for a second opinion near my work as he does work on my Hemi Durango. I do not want to spend money if I do not have to, but I am fairly new to carbs and this is my learning curve. Funny thing is that most mechanics that I know are like me and have no clue about carburetors and the easy way out is to buy new ones.

You need a different mechanic. One that actually knows the difference....
shinola.jpg

Tere is a minor oil leak in the intake that is wicking up from bolts. It also has a manifold leak that needs fixed. I only use 93 octane in all my vehicles, so crappy gas is not tot blame. I will be taken it to another mechanic for a second opinion near my work as he does work on my Hemi Durango. I do not want to spend money if I do not have to, but I am fairly new to carbs and this is my learning curve. Funny thing is that most mechanics that I know are like me and have no clue about carburetors and the easy way out is to buy new ones.

Octane shouldn't have anything to do with it. It's the modern gas blend that's designed for current FI engines. If you want to see for sure if gas is the issue then you need to remove the pump gas from your tank and replace it with a few gallons of race gas.

There is a place down the street that sells 115 (?) octane gas called Blue Torch (?)
I will try that after work today.

Auto Transport Service
Back