• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new clutch and flywheel - should I get a lightweight flywheel?

streetstrip_ch

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:12 PM
Reaction score
Don't know if you have seem my other post where I removed my engine, and discovered that I need a new clutch.

I'm looking around and haven't seen many Borg & Berg options, the one that I'm considering buying is this one:
RAM Powergrip 98504HD CHRYSLER RAM Clutches 98504HD RAM Powergrip HD Clutch Kits | Summit Racing

I was planning to get a new flywheel as well, and was wondering what is the difference between the normal and lightweight version.
normal: 1595 - Steel flywheel Chrysler 6 bolt 143 tooth - RAM Clutches
lw: 1595LW - Lighter weight steel flywheel Chrysler 6 bolt 143 tooth - RAM Clutches

is there any advantage or disavantage?

thanks,
Ed

I’d go by your rear gears. 4.10, you could go lighter… 3.23 I’d go heavy. The inertia of the weight helps get the car moving.

I went with aluminum in my 66 BB Corvette but it’s lighter with 4:11 gears. I didn’t go crazy light - about 18 lbs. Drives fine. Of those 2 you posted, I would go wit the 29 pounder. I don’t really consider that light but with your 4.10 rear it should be fine.

How do you use the car? The way I've always heard: Drag car gets a heavy flywheel to assist the launch, light flywheel (rotating mass) for quicker reving as one wants in road racing.

Agree with everything AR67GTX said. The lighter flywheel is the one I would choose, 100%.
I had a 57 chevy with a four speed, but the stock, very weak rearend. I put a 13lb aluminum wheel in it, and loved it. I didn't want the heavy wheel to shock the drivetrain, and the light wheel helped acceleration in gear. And it reved like mad!
Who needs heavy flywheels? Little tiny motors with no torque.

Does the original flywheel and B&B pressure plate look reusable?
I'd say so, the pressure place has some rough spots that I can feel with the nail, is that a deal breaker? flywheel is not warped, I see normal signs of use.
If it is reusable, you can send it to Mcleod and they will rebuild it for you.
the problem with sending for me is that I'm in Switzerland.

How do you use the car? The way I've always heard: Drag car gets a heavy flywheel to assist the launch, light flywheel (rotating mass) for quicker reving as one wants in road racing.
to tell the truth, mostly cruising. I wish there would be a a lot of drag racing involved, but there are no "official" tracks in Switzerland.

You can use a straight edge or a good ruler and a feeler gauge to check how straight the flywheel is and some pictures.

Considering your location, I would look for someone local to surface your flywheel, preferably a Blanchard grinder. That same shop might be able to surface the pressure plate ring too. Then all you need is a disc, and they can be rebuilt too.

Auto Transport Service
Back