• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New guy from the Motor City - another 68 CHARGER RT

dodgeboy#7

Local time
1:55 AM
Reaction score
"Please allow me to introduce myself".....(in the words of Mick) -

Heard about your Mopar group, and thought it was high time I reached out and joined
the party. I'm fortunate to have owned many A, E, and B bodies over the years; but
my current (and first) 'project' is a 68 Charger RT. Had some extra time on my hands
and thought a project might do me some good. Not sure about the 'good' yet, but I'm
learning a lot about what makes these cars tick; and being challenged almost daily
with finding the right vendor for the multitude of assemblies that need to be recreated.

I'm currently puzzled over how best to replace the front 'disk brakes' setup and master.
In as much as I'd like to keep things as stock appearing as possible, I've been told that
the old 4-piston calipers should be avoided. I have the calipers, but need new rotors, and
(though I have the old power booster and master cylinder)...I can't trust mounting all that
old stuff on a newly-painted car only to find out they leak, or don't work right.

What are other 68 Charger/B Body folks doing to upgrade their braking systems ??
And can you still maintain a 'relative' stock appearance ??
Thanks in advance.
Dodgeboy#7

Welcome from Plymouth. I have a 1967 Coronet

Welcome from Maine!

There are many places to get quality good boosters and master for your charger! Also, there are many places to get lousy ones too. One that I haven't used but spent quite a bit of time talking to is Wayne at theramman.com. I ended up going in a different direction with all wilwood rather than stock looking parts but his setup I believe is pretty darn good. I'm sure others will chime in on their purchases and expiriences. Good luck!

Oh yeah...as many say here...:worthless_thread:

Welcome fro SE PA!

1968 Chargers are my second favorite car of all time (sorry. next to 70 Road Runners!). Yes, we'd love to see a few pictures of your car!

As far as brakes are concerned, many people doing the conversions put 73-73 disk brake setups on their car. The right stuff sells kits, for example, and that is where I got my kit. However, there are many others.

I can't speak to the 4 piston calipers you have on your car, and I don't know if they are prone to issues. One thought, however: If you are making this car pretty stock, my guess is this will be a limited use car that only sees nice weather for cruises. I would think the 4 piston setup, properly restored, would work just fine. If you are going to drive it extensively, that might be different. Of course, do what you feel is right for your car - I just want to offer an alternate point of view for your consideration.

Again, welcome to the site - we look forward to having you.

Hi and welcome from Farmington MI, post up some pics of your car when you get a chance.

Doing the 4 piston stuff is no issue if you can find parts. That is the hard part. I've done them.
Doug

Welcome to FBBO. 68 is one of my favorite years for the Charger.,

welcome to FBBO,
maybe post the questions in the general discussion or specific year or type category forum sections
you'll get more responses...

this is the welcome wagon
mainly for intros & maybe some background, along with a few photo's etc., this's not really a tech section
maybe check out a few of the other forum sections

good luck have fun

hi and welcome to the site :headbang:

Sonny says, Welcome, 68 Charger my favorite........... well almost:icon_wink:

Auto Transport Service
Back