• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Guy here, seeking a ‘69 to make my retirement car

Thanx all..

And YES, it IS an original, now restored, numbers matching 440 Trac Pac..

But, here's my deal, the 'value' to me is in possessing and driving the car, that shape, and I really do prefer the benefits of the modern drivetrain ...

Now if I had been able to find another, different, and had this one to sell or whatever...

Point is I get the reverence and respect folks have for the sanctity of these cars as they were. But this is an awesome car and just happens to be the one I was able to find, confirm to be legit, and purchase. LOTS of scammers and traps out there and the ones I wanted, 69 or 68 in that order, seem to be most scarce.'

So I'm gonna do the dirty and change that mill and trans out.

As for vinyl tops....yuk. Just my opinion, but I LOVE the shape if this car and I like tin just metal... Again, Dukes of Hazard affected since childhood I'm sure but once I realized that post pension I am now 'that guy,' and CAN get one, it had to be the 69 and without vinyl top...

But agree or disagree I appreciate y'all's input here. I am an absolute newbie and will need all the guidance I can get.

D
So, what if I find a nice 318 car for say 30k.....? Would you be willing to sell the original RT for what it's worth and put the 'extra' money into the 318 car that has a solid body?

Hah... Just read my last and found it not the most clear thing I've ever written....

RME.....

What I was TRYING to say there is that I had a helluva time finding one of these cars, much less one that's in nice shape and doesn't require lots of mech work. I suck at that and barely have tools, tho I know that'll change now over time since I got a Mopar.

When I found her, confirmed with a reputable broker that she was legit and was in great shape, I had to get her. So many potential traps where I might have bought crap, or bought decent but paid primo money and gotten ripped that way...

SO that's how I got here. SO while It will make some of you guys cringe, I do wanna drop a modern 6.4 in there with a modern trans and some A/C and some other nice touches.... leaving the exterior as she is except for rims and tires, and that'll mean I will have this very fresh restored 440 to sell to somebody in the community. I'm in Houston, well near Houston, so it'll prob need to be someone at least in TX/LA....

Cranky, plz do drop Any/All advice on me. I get what you're saying. And while it goes away from the direction I intend to go w this car it does help inform me on what all this is about..... I'm basically trying to soak up 'what's the deal' as I go along here, regardless if I am in total sync with what your post suggests or not. It's appreciated regardless....

D

6.4 or Hellcat? If you’re gonna hack it up do it right.

So, what if I find a nice 318 car for say 30k.....? Would you be willing to sell the original RT for what it's worth and put the 'extra' money into the 318 car that has a solid body?
Potentially yes, and if you're in SETX maybe we should talk. I'm about to sit down w my son for the game but I could talk about that hypothetical sometime tomorrow if you wanna. As it is I'm talking with a shop about potential work on the Hemi swap and getting the taxes and registration paid at the tax office.

Well I see there's what, a couple hundred HP difference and if buying crate motors about 10K difference accordingly??

SO I am leaning towards the normally aspirated 6.4 for less money, so that more of the (I only have so much liquid cash, .....I do have a decent budget, but it runs out at some point to where I'd be deficit spending, which I don't wanna do) cash I have can go for man hours and potentially other stuff (I want A/C, and when time and or money allows suspension and big modern brakes, some interior things here and there....all the mech stuff comes 1st, but the swap is priority 1)..

That said, I HAVE seen those 707HP and (gad....) 1K Elephants sitting there online wanting me to read about them.

Now ay on earth I could ever go for the atom bomb Helphant, and PROB not the Hellcat mill, but...... I DI have to at least look at it don't I???

Hah... Just read my last and found it not the most clear thing I've ever written....

RME.....

What I was TRYING to say there is that I had a helluva time finding one of these cars, much less one that's in nice shape and doesn't require lots of mech work. I suck at that and barely have tools, tho I know that'll change now over time since I got a Mopar.

When I found her, confirmed with a reputable broker that she was legit and was in great shape, I had to get her. So many potential traps where I might have bought crap, or bought decent but paid primo money and gotten ripped that way...

SO that's how I got here. SO while It will make some of you guys cringe, I do wanna drop a modern 6.4 in there with a modern trans and some A/C and some other nice touches.... leaving the exterior as she is except for rims and tires, and that'll mean I will have this very fresh restored 440 to sell to somebody in the community. I'm in Houston, well near Houston, so it'll prob need to be someone at least in TX/LA....

Cranky, plz do drop Any/All advice on me. I get what you're saying. And while it goes away from the direction I intend to go w this car it does help inform me on what all this is about..... I'm basically trying to soak up 'what's the deal' as I go along here, regardless if I am in total sync with what your post suggests or not. It's appreciated regardless....

D
Cranky is right. It's almost a sin to resto an original R/T. You will get flack just by novice classic car folks at local events. Let alone a Mopar enthusiast. I have a '69 GTX 4-speed, Dana rear. Non numbers matching. But period correct. Solid fun driver. (Quick walk around vid below.) My GTX would be a much better resto candidate because it's already non numbers matching. I will trade you +$40k to you? I'm not even a big Charger fan. But know that your guy needs to stay original.

Last edited:
Very kind offer, but I'm gonna stick with the Charger. It's just a thing..... That F-ing TV show back in the day did this to me.

:)

Very kind offer, but I'm gonna stick with the Charger. It's just a thing..... That F-ing TV show back in the day did this to me.

:)
Then I REALLY hope you take Cranky's advice/offer and consider a Charger SE for a Restomod build?

Just keep the engine and trans. Next owner can “restore” it. It’s your dream... live it while you can.

Right??!

That’s why I pulled the trigger ….

Dunno about you guys but I am just old enough, and just young enough,
And it was now or most likely never…

so I bought her…

Right??!

That’s why I pulled the trigger ….

Dunno about you guys but I am just old enough, and just young enough,
And it was now or most likely never…

so I bought her…
Definitely understand the purchase. And of course, it's your car. Your call. But you did ask for advice. And my advice? We don't paint over the Mona Lisa because today's water colors are brighter? (Ok, maybe that's a bit extreme.) But my fear would be? I am very capable of screwing up something that doesn't need fixing. Don't be like Cojohnso1. Lol.

First of all, congratulations on finding the car that checked off all your boxes so quick, most of us wait years until we find the right one. From the pics, it looks like a very nice restoration was done. I do however agree with the others that if you want to cut up a second generation Charger, please think hard about finding a less common model. Of the 69,142 1969 Chargers built, only 3605 were 440/4-speeds. Maybe 10% left that are numbers matching? Pretty rare car. Here is a pic of my 69 R/T 440 4-speed that I sold a couple years ago. Mine didn't have the original motor like yours however.
At the end of the day, it is your car, your money, and your dream. So you have every right in the world to do whatever you want. This is just my opinion and I mean no offense, you have a hell of a nice car there.

IMG_0655.JPG IMG_0676.JPG

Beautiful car!

I understand your dream and I am on board!. I too, suggest you do not sell the original numbers matching driveline.

Here is a question: Why do you want to do the modern day Hemi swap? If it is for reliability, may I humbly suggest you at least consider another alternative: I have installed fuel injection and computer controlled timing on my old numbers matching 383 Road Runner. It starts always, runs like a dream AND still has the original motor. Yes, there are lots of Fuel Injection horror stories, but quite frankly I believe mostly that is due to the improper way they were installed. Do a quality install of a FI system, plus a nice OD transmission, and you have both the reliability AND coolness factor of originality.

Just something for consideration. Oh, and here is my engine compartment just for reference (with hidden A/C, FI and computer controlled timing)
IMG_5115.JPG

Dave did find one.....check post #36
Well that's what I get for not reading them all!! Thanks for the heads up!!
Wow that looks pretty sweet.. guess we didn't have to warn him about sticker shock..:lol:

Um--No ... I have learned all about the sticker shock thankyouverymuch...

Wow....

I feel much taller now.....

I am se
Um--No ... I have learned all about the sticker shock thankyouverymuch...

Wow....

I feel much taller now.....
Being you made a 2nd Gen Charger purchase? You have experienced the "Charger effect" And the debate of pricing is a whole different animal of discussion. I hope you get a chance to enjoy your car as a true '69 as intended. You are certainly in an envious position by many of us here on FBBO. I have to admit my jealousy cup runneth over. Lol. Enjoy your adventure.

Did ya ever do the swap? If not im looking for a 440/4spd, slick top Black Charger and would be interested in buying yours so you could find the right resto-mod candidate

Auto Transport Service
Back