• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New guy looking for a project.

strang3majik

Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just joined up looking for an old b-body to restore with my dad. I'm 20 and have been a Mopar nut from birth thanks to him. My dad has a 1968 Charger R/T my grandfather bought new and my father and I restored a few years ago.

I myself have had a few Mopars, but, mine have all been of the newer more affordable kind. I've had SRT4s, 80s turbo dodges, a couple 5.9 Jeeps, and an SS/T Ram...of course a BMW e30 and some other stuff you guys don't care about as well :p

But, right now I currently own...
1985 Dodge Omni GLH (mini-resto)
1987 Dodge Charger GLHS (For sale :p )
1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck (freshening up)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited (Would trade for a project)

I have a liking for off the wall stuff, but, really want an old b-body to start on. 68-72 Charger, or a 63 Fury/Belvedere... are of my top picks. Would really love a 71 Charger though if I had my pick.

New performance cars are smooth, linear in their power delivery, and predictable whilst the accelerator is pressed. Older performance cars are violent. Once the secondaries open up, hold on to the wheel for dear life. You'll need it to peel yourself out of the seat to grab the next gear.

And this is why I'm ready to move on. :) I've had fast cars, but, muscle is a different breed altogether.

Anyhow...that's a little about me. Here's some pictures of my vehicles and a pic of my dads car.

Thank you for having me on the site.

The Pace Truck...needs a bed and some cleaning up. Runs great, perfect interior. Florida junkyards are full of rust free parts. Got it cheap. 360, 4spd auto, 3.92 trac lock

_DSC0124.jpg

1987 Charger GLHS #820 of 1000. Ran a 13.4 on street tires spinning 1-4th. Could be yours :p

_DSC0098_zps05483b1a.jpg

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited. Fastest SUV in the world circa 1998.

JeepBurnout-byRyanLippy.jpg

1985 Dodge Omni GLH. There's a story with this one. Had it since 2008 and have been working on it since. This is a 2 year old picture of when the body work began, but got it from the original owner with all documentation. Was a carbureted high output 10.5:1 engine. Had the head milled and with some junkyard stock pieces homework got it running damn good, compression was somewhere around 11.5:1. Having it rebuilt soon with plans on making it a very hot little 2.2. Will never get rid of this car no matter its FWD ugliness. Had it too long, became too attached. Should be painted and on the road this summer.

IMG00096.jpg

And here's my dads Charger. Grandfather ordered it new in September 1967 and took delivery Oct 4th, 1967. GG1 Racing Green Metallic with white interior. 440, 727, Dana 60 super track pack. Favorite car of all time. Not just a 68 Charger. This one :) Been in the family long before I was even a thought :) Now sports aluminum edelbrock heads, hughes cam, torker 2 intake, all fed by a holley 830 HP carb, and exhausted through a set of Doug's 2-1/8" primary 3.5" collector headers...3" exhaust with an x-pipe. Runs very very strong. 285/70/15s will break loose from a 50mph roll no problem.

Charger.jpg

And for those interested...here's a video of that restoration. Took a long time and I took pictures during the whole process and made this video.
Hope you enjoy if you take the time to view it.

Thanks again for having me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhtELzq2Ksw

Welcome to the site. I liked the video and how cool is it to still have a 68 Charger in the family 45 years later.

welcome to FBBO & good luck finding a good B-Body project

- - - Updated - - -

beautiful 68 Charger

Good deal! Great looking rides..Nice to see all the next generation of Mopars guys rolling in on this site lately. Decades later...the cars still got young guns dreaming of owning one.

:sSig_welcometoourcl:sSig_hihihi::headbang:

Welcome aboard! Good luck on your project hunt. Your Dad has a great looking 68 Charger. Wish I stll had mine. Love the 68's.

Thanks everyone! And yes, that Charger is a part of the family. My grandfather wanted to trade "that dinosaur" in on a Subaru station wagon in the late 70s, but my dad begged him for it as his first car (rusty quarters and all). So my grandfather gave it to him just so he'd shut up. Haha. Told my dad it was a POS and when he turned 16 not to come running to him telling him what a POS it is.

After my dad and I fully restored it, my grandfather sat out on the porch drinking coffee just looking at the car for about an hour. He thinks its the coolest thing my dad kept it.

Better yet, when he ordered it, he worked at GM's Fisher body plant in Baltimore. Almost bought a GTO, but the salesman just saw a kid, not someone willing to buy, so he left him mid sentence for an older gentleman in a suit. It ticked my grandfather off so he went and purchased his other choice, which was the Charger. :p

And yes, I'm definitely into the old Mopars. If it wasn't for gas prices, I would've had one a long time ago for a driver/project. But I can hardly afford to drive my truck or Jeep, let alone feed a big block. Haha. That's why I have some of the FWD turbo cars. Fast, cheap, and great on gas. But they're FWD :(

So hopefully soon I'll pickup a project.

I'll list my dad's stable for you as well...
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1981 Dodge Mirada (getting a 440 transplant)
1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck (saved from the crusher)
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T

but thanks again for the welcomes, everyone. Glad to be here.

Also, Propwash, you'd be amazed at how many in the younger generation would love to own one. Even muscle cars in general. Being I'm of the younger generation, I know a lot of Honda/ricer kids, and they're all motorheads just like you guys were in your younger years. But the difference is, instead of cheap Mopes, Chebbys, and Furds laying around, Hondas and other little imports are cheap. Many of them dream of owning muscle cars, just can't afford to. So the passion for them will never die, but, with today's prices, they're just becoming more of a dream car instead of a toy like they used to be.

For instance, my dad passed up a petty blue Superbird in the mid 80s for $4500 because the rebuilt 440 needed installed and the nose put back on. He didn't feel like doing the work and didn't think it was worth it. Hind sight 20/20 there. Hahaha.

Welcome - great Charger and story. You can find '62-'65 B bodies pretty reasonably, and they are definitely different and cool. Especially for a younger guy. Good luck with your search.

Maybe if you post a price and or what sort of b-body you might be interested in it would help in your search.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Nice rides and your dads '68 is a real beauty, always been my favorite.
I have got a project you'd be interested in, it's a #s matching '71 383 Super Bee. Look for it in our for sale forum and send me a private message if you want more info.

Auto Transport Service
Back