• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Hemi Swap data

Every one of your questions is already answered in my build thread. Including after build performance and how much I LOVE IT!!!!!!
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/b-body-stiffening.1121/
It may take a minute to read through but there is a LOT of info in the build with more in depth questions answered supported by pics. The synopsis you are asking for is fine but still isn't enough to make the decision to take on a project like this......unless you are like me and like figuring it all out on your own.

I hear what you are saying, however if you are someone thinking about this swap and coming from a place where you really don't know what you don't know, it is very confusing to try and read multiple build threads bc each build is unique. I was/am trying to get something that a person could look through and get an idea of which year/model engine meets their needs, issues surrounding it etc. in a short concise manner. Yes, I get that this bullet point list does not completely capture the entire swap or the challenges with it, but it would provide some trends, common items, etc. People could look at specific models such as the 6.1 or 6.4 vs the 5.7, which ECM/PCM seems to be the most used, common obstacles, etc.

A single build thread focuses on a specific car, engine, builder whereas something like this list captures multiple builds in one thread. I should have added a bullet point for the link to a build thread so that people could post that; I will edit it.

Guess I cannot edit the original post so I am adding it here;

• Car new hemi was put in (make, model, year):
  • New gen hemi size:
  • New gen hemi year:
  • What did the new gen hemi come out of or was designed for (car/truck):
  • Carb or EFI (type, brand, etc):
  • What intake was used:
  • What exhaust manifolds/headers were used:
  • Modifications made to the new gen hemi:
  • Type ignition used:
  • What PCM was used:
  • What harness was used:
  • What front serpentine system was used:
  • What alternator was used:
  • What PS pump was used:
  • What motor mounts were used:
  • Transmission used behind hemi:
  • If manual, what clutch was used:
  • What transmission mount was used:
  • What adapters were needed to get the trans to mate/work:
  • What modifications were required to the car to make the hemi fit/work:
  • Biggest challenge/problem encountered and how it was resolved or overcome:
  • What would you have done differently:
  • How do you like it:
  • Link to your build thread:

• Car new hemi was put in (make, model, year): 1969 Charger
  • New gen hemi size: 6.1
  • New gen hemi year: 2008
  • What did the new gen hemi come out of or was designed for (car/truck): Challenger
  • Carb or EFI (type, brand, etc): EFI
  • What intake was used: Stock
  • What exhaust manifolds/headers were used: TTI
  • Modifications made to the new gen hemi: None
  • Type ignition used: Stock
  • What PCM was used: Holley Dominator
  • What harness was used: Holley
  • What front serpentine system was used: Stock
  • What alternator was used: Hemi 2005 unit with mopar adjustable voltage regulator
  • What PS pump was used: Stock
  • What motor mounts were used: Shumacher
  • Transmission used behind hemi: 833 4 Speed with 294 Rear Gear
  • If manual, what clutch was used: Hydraulic McLeod Kit
  • What transmission mount was used: Stock
  • What adapters were needed to get the trans to mate/work: None
  • What modifications were required to the car to make the hemi fit/work: None
  • Biggest challenge/problem encountered and how it was resolved or overcome: Getting the Dominator tuned, but I studied and got it running well.
  • What would you have done differently: Maybe going with Hotwire Harness
  • How do you like it: Love it....driving it daily now and waiting on my AC kit to install

• Car new hemi was put in (make, model, year): 1969 Charger
  • New gen hemi size: 6.1
  • New gen hemi year: 2008
  • What did the new gen hemi come out of or was designed for (car/truck): Challenger
  • Carb or EFI (type, brand, etc): EFI
  • What intake was used: Stock
  • What exhaust manifolds/headers were used: TTI
  • Modifications made to the new gen hemi: None
  • Type ignition used: Stock
  • What PCM was used: Holley Dominator
  • What harness was used: Holley
  • What front serpentine system was used: Stock
  • What alternator was used: Hemi 2005 unit with mopar adjustable voltage regulator
  • What PS pump was used: Stock
  • What motor mounts were used: Shumacher
  • Transmission used behind hemi: 833 4 Speed with 294 Rear Gear
  • If manual, what clutch was used: Hydraulic McLeod Kit
  • What transmission mount was used: Stock
  • What adapters were needed to get the trans to mate/work: None
  • What modifications were required to the car to make the hemi fit/work: None
  • Biggest challenge/problem encountered and how it was resolved or overcome: Getting the Dominator tuned, but I studied and got it running well.
  • What would you have done differently: Maybe going with Hotwire Harness
  • How do you like it: Love it....driving it daily now and waiting on my AC kit to install

I really appreciate you taking the time to fill this out, it is very helpful. Did the trans have to be modified at all to work? I am in the planning stages of putting a G3 into my 71 Charger I am building and will be using a A833.

I really appreciate you taking the time to fill this out, it is very helpful. Did the trans have to be modified at all to work? I am in the planning stages of putting a G3 into my 71 Charger I am building and will be using a A833.
No. I didn't have to modify anything, but I will say that there are two things that I learned in the process....

#1. Be careful when bolting on the trans to the engine. If you don't do a runout to ensure the engine and tranny fit flush, you could have an alignment issue when trying to line up the drivetrain. I had to use alignment dowls to get the tranny to sit flush. The bellhousing, I guess, wasn't true causing the issue.

#2. If you use a hydraulic clutch setup, be sure and plan for your pedal ratio. Using stock pedals create some geometry issues. If I had it to do over, I would have gone with a Wilwood Brake/Clutch pedal setup. The clutch is stiff.

Jonas

Jonas - thanks again, that is really interesting information. I did a hyd clutch in my 73 Cuda, however I didn't use a hyd TB, I used a slave cylinder set up and it is stiff as hell. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out why it is this way.

Good advice on the alignment, I will certainly pay attention to that.

Jonas - thanks again, that is really interesting information. I did a hyd clutch in my 73 Cuda, however I didn't use a hyd TB, I used a slave cylinder set up and it is stiff as hell. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out why it is this way.

I would start by looking at the bore size on the slave cylinder as a starting point - just like a brake master cylinder the size effects pedal pressure.

Thanks for the thread. I must have missed it when first posted.

This should help motivate me to get back into that project.

Auto Transport Service
Back