• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Interior Bulb Issues for 69 Charger

mnewell337@gmai

Local time
4:13 AM
Reaction score
I purchased new bulbs for the interior of my Charger and have run into problems trying to install them. I used the attached Bulb Chart for reference, and purchased Sylvania bulbs from my local Autozone.

First up was the #1004 Dome Lamp bulb, which had been missing already. No luck getting the bulb to twist and lock in place.

Second was the Center Console #90 bulbs with the same result.

In both cases, I was pushing the bulbs hard enough downward that shattering the bulb glass was a concern.

One thing I noticed on the old Center Console bulb was that the bulb leads were both concave, while the new bulbs leads were convex.

Do I need to grind these bulb leads down in order for the bulbs to fit?

Anyone else run into this issue?

Mike

2-24-2024 12-24-53 PM.jpg
2-24-2024 12-25-30 PM.jpg

I purchased new bulbs for the interior of my Charger and have run into problems trying to install them. I used the attached Bulb Chart for reference, and purchased Sylvania bulbs from my local Autozone.

First up was the #1004 Dome Lamp bulb, which had been missing already. No luck getting the bulb to twist and lock in place.

Second was the Center Console #90 bulbs with the same result.

In both cases, I was pushing the bulbs hard enough downward that shattering the bulb glass was a concern.

One thing I noticed on the old Center Console bulb was that the bulb leads were both concave, while the new bulbs leads were convex.

Do I need to grind these bulb leads down in order for the bulbs to fit?

Anyone else run into this issue?

Mike
All old bulbs become concave due to the spring pressure-for year after year. Lead is a soft metal. Did you try some dielectric grease to ease things a little?
Mike

Put a little die-electric grease on them and see if that helps. Sometimes pulling lightly on the wires helps to let the bulb turn.

I had a stubborn bulb that I very lightly filed the terminals on the bottom to slightly shorten them. Still working years later. I did add dielectric grease to protect the modified terminals.

Already tried the dielectric grease while first installing them. Then tried WD-40 shot down under the wiring connector face.

Pushed down to the point of worrying about breaking the bulb. Would not twist. Even placed the center console wiring harness bulb receptacle in my bench vise and applied maximum downward force on the bulb while trying to twist it as well. No luck. Going to take a dremel tool to the bulb leads next.

Thought the same. Used my dremel tool grinding stone to cut the (bulbous) bulb leads down a little. Before and after bulb pic attached.

Success. The Console bulbs are now locked into the harness leads.

Since this is the first time the harness has been connected, and power applied, can anyone tell me when the side Console lights are supposed to illuminate?

Mike
2-24-2024 2-22-00 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Put a small dowel down your light socket and check on the spring-ness of the bottom. One issue I had is that over the years, it was locked up some and needed to be loosened. As for the lighting issue, check if you are getting 12v. Is the wiring/sockets new or original? Original my need to be cleaned for a good connection. Otherwise, check your harness connector. Unplug and plug in a few times.

One of the bulbs was swapped out with an existing older bulb. Old bulb would seat in the receptacle, new bulb would not. Spring mechanism moved freely, and WD-40 applied to make sure it would do so. The bulb had dielectric grease applied. The new bulb would only lock into place after the bulb leads were ground down. Sylvania Bulbs are now made in China.

Got side-tracked from the bulb/power issue when I tried to test the newly installed radio, and found that my ignition switch could not be rotated either right, or left to get accessory power to the dash. Pulled the ignition switch, took it to a locksmith, and found out that both my main, and backup keys were so worn that the switch would no longer work. Two new keys made, and will install the switch tomorrow and get back to verifying the power. Still have to ground down the leads on the new Sylvania Dome Light bulb. Will then start verifying that I have power to the center console light receptacles, and start backtracking down the harness if I do not.

Thanks for all the tips Guys!

Mike

2-27-2024 11-57-13 AM.jpg
2-27-2024 11-56-23 AM.jpg

Chinese "no fit" bulb syndrome....I seek NOS USA made bulbs for this very reason.
Yes...pretty much any of the bulbs not using a copper/brass connector are made in China....many will not fit. As suggested, look for NOS made in USA bulbs with copper/brass connector if you want correct OE type fit and function. Learned this the same way you have. :thumbsup:

I think I remember having to file the side pins a little shorter once or twice in the past also.

SUCCESS! (I know, all caps)

Took it one light at a time, and made slow, steady progress. New Phillips bulbs from Amazon worked great in both the dome & trunk receptacles. No filing required, and some dielectric grease allowed them to sink into place. Same with the map light.

The Pink & Orange/Yellow power wires for the center console lights were more of a mystery to solve, and I found that both wires connect directly to separate fuses on the fuse panel. Thought my problems were solved but still no power to the console courtesy bulbs. Finally pulled the console wiring harness from the kick panel to the console, did a bench continuity check, and found the pink wire failed the test. No cuts in the harness, but it was taped so it could be hidden. Cut the pink wire at both ends, about 3 inches from the terminal ends, and grafted in a new wire. Continuity was good, so re-installed and console lights are now working.

I am definitely an electrical neophyte, so really appreciate all the help/suggestions from board members who helped me along with this project.

Now it's time to install the steering column.

Regards,
Mike

SUCCESS! (I know, all caps)

Took it one light at a time, and made slow, steady progress. New Phillips bulbs from Amazon worked great in both the dome & trunk receptacles. No filing required, and some dielectric grease allowed them to sink into place. Same with the map light.

The Pink & Orange/Yellow power wires for the center console lights were more of a mystery to solve, and I found that both wires connect directly to separate fuses on the fuse panel. Thought my problems were solved but still no power to the console courtesy bulbs. Finally pulled the console wiring harness from the kick panel to the console, did a bench continuity check, and found the pink wire failed the test. No cuts in the harness, but it was taped so it could be hidden. Cut the pink wire at both ends, about 3 inches from the terminal ends, and grafted in a new wire. Continuity was good, so re-installed and console lights are now working.

I am definitely an electrical neophyte, so really appreciate all the help/suggestions from board members who helped me along with this project.

Now it's time to install the steering column.

Regards,
Mike
Those wires go over to the left kick panel and piggy back into the dome light harness.

Auto Transport Service
Back