• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Member. Is it Worth Saving? 1971 Charger R/T

20191019_184332.jpg
Buy the one on Ebay and use it for a daily driver then find another lesser Charger to restore the RT. I mean how many 440 RT Chargers were built!?

2,172 U code automatics.

That's what this L code Charger is for. GY8 gold with tan interior. Minor rust repair needed. I know the R/T is a long term project.

2,172 U code automatics.
Basically, I was making a statement knowing that there wasn't all that many built.....but, I didn't know the actual numbers. Thanks! And yeah, I'd restore that car if I had the know how and the resources....and wasn't knocking on the door to 69! :D

What places would broadcast sheets potentially be found? I looked behind the seat backs on the buckets but they had been recovered in a diamond pleat back on the day and didn't find anything.

I heard maybe behind the dash?

Lynch Road, Detroit, MI build. they did not put one in it. I've looked everywhere for mine !

Last edited:
That’s a beautiful car, but holy crap! Did they store it in a swimming pool?
Personally I’d fix it. You’re gonna get the douchebags that point out you’ll never get your money back out of it, so you need to decide early in the process if you’re into it for a profit or because you want a beautiful car. If it’s a profit thing you may be better served by a different project. Me? I’ll be CAN$65k into a car that’s worth about CAN$45k. No problem with that.

That’s a beautiful car, but holy crap! Did they store it in a swimming pool?
Personally I’d fix it. You’re gonna get the douchebags that point out you’ll never get your money back out of it, so you need to decide early in the process if you’re into it for a profit or because you want a beautiful car. If it’s a profit thing you may be better served by a different project. Me? I’ll be CAN$65k into a car that’s worth about CAN$45k. No problem with that.

Gulf coast air/moisture in MS apparently works wonders under a vinyl top.

Not in it for profit. In it because it's an R/T and a beautiful color combination. I've always wanted an R/T but couldn't afford better so here this is. It will be one of my kids cars in the future.

I've heard of Broadcast Sheets in the following places...
under the back seat (behind the seat springs)
under the carpet
above the headliner
behind the glovebox
Unless there is more major rust/damage, go for it.
Floor pans seem easy enough for those that can weld
Same with the roof, and IIRC you already have a replacement.
Most of us don't get into these old cars for return on the $$.
Keep us updated and the pics coming!

That's a nice car and can be fixed. Is it yours already? What is the buy in price? Donor clip is the key and if you do the work yourself it will easier on the wallet.

I replaced the roof on my 69 with a donor. Never done it before but it wasn't that difficult. Time consuming, yes.

Did you look on top of the glove box insert for the broadcast sheet?

There were 2,504 71 Charger RT 440’s made and currently only 9 listed as B7 Dark Blue in the 71 Charger RT registry.

I've seen worse saved !
I've seen better crushed !
Get a nice donor car , a few cuts and the roof is gone ! Easy as that !
Alot of hours needed in this one though

There were 2,504 71 Charger RT 440’s made and currently only 9 listed as B7 Dark Blue in the 71 Charger RT registry.

Thank you for the info. Every source seems to say something different but I did run across a registry that had a low B7 count. Can't remember where now.

Welcome from the show me state!! Anything can be saved, do you want to is the question. Find a donor body and build it back. Don't start if you're thinking about money, they're all a money pit. It's a love story or not at all. Just my opinion.

BIENVENIDO DESDE MÉXICO !!!
Nice charger, @Bb70charger500 is right, you should take a look into the project and restoration area, worst cars has been saved, this is your car, this is a HOBBY, do it at your pace, be patient, collect parts, and have FUN working in your car, in the end you never gonna get your money back, but is rewarding see your car putting together again, tons of good info here, good guys and good friends willing to help you is what you're going to find here.

Last edited:
Just a side note I have over $30000 invested into my 1972 rallye charger ! And I'm still working with a bare she'll that needs 1/4's and inner fenders . Granted once I'm past the metal work and paint it's going to be a breeze because I have everything for the car . I bought stuff little by little here and there . When I'm done I'll never see my money back . But ! I am building this car exactly how I want it and don't plan on letting it go (now if someone put down what I have invested maybe ! )
I had a 71 rt it wasn't all that bad but I wanted to modify my car disc brakes 4 speed conversion stuff you don't want to do to a high dollar car so I went with my rallye since it had the 340 I wanted ...
Just make sure you are building what you want !
It won't hurt to steal the rt parts and put them on a lesser car if all you want is the look ! Would save you a ton of money .

Welcome!

I'll chime in too and agree with much that has been said. It needs floors and trunk. That is pretty much standard for old Mopars. The roof is bad due to the vinyl top. That will be a hassle. But if the bones are solid (you said doors and front are great), I'd go for it. You'll have a great car when done and lot's of help from the forum to help you get there. Like others have said, true 71 R/Ts aren't a dime a dozen. Plus, it is a nice color combo.

Good luck whatever you decide!

Hawk

Update!

I talked to the original owner yesterday and today. It took 3 weeks of searching, messaging and calling different numbers before I found him.

He's going to try and find original paperwork from the purchase (he says he doesn't throw much away) and pictures of the car when new. He's also going to send me the original radio that he took out in fear that someone would steal it!

He's 71 now and talked about how his friends bought new Chevelle Super Sports but he wanted a blue Dodge. It was his first new car ever and he daily drove it until the late eighties. He sold it in 1990ish and at that time he acknowledged that it had bad floors and the roof was getting rotten.

I'm going to talk to him again tomorrow.

Auto Transport Service
Back