• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Member. Is it Worth Saving? 1971 Charger R/T

20171102_074610.jpg
I put a roof skin on my 73 Charger, it wasn't that bad a job to do. My car is from California, and the only rust on the car was under the vynal top. It was worse that yours,it looked like a sunroof car, but it wasn't. The AMD sheetmetal for 71 Chargers is very nice. My friend Gary personally test fitted every piece and offered up his NOS and nice used pieces for them to template the parts from. He made them keep retooling the parts until he was satisfied with the fit of every piece. This is a picture of my 73 with the replacement roof skin installed. Unfortunately AMD dosen't offer roof skins for the 71 to 74 B bodies yet. I had to get one from a donor car.

Yes it is worth saving
B7 is the best blue
If you don't save it someone else will..

View attachment 875712 I put a roof skin on my 73 Charger, it wasn't that bad a job to do. My car is from California, and the only rust on the car was under the vynal top. It was worse that yours,it looked like a sunroof car, but it wasn't. The AMD sheetmetal for 71 Chargers is very nice. My friend Gary personally test fitted every piece and offered up his NOS and nice used pieces for them to template the parts from. He made them keep retooling the parts until he was satisfied with the fit of every piece. This is a picture of my 73 with the replacement roof skin installed. Unfortunately AMD dosen't offer roof skins for the 71 to 74 B bodies yet. I had to get one from a donor car.

Nice. Mine has some rust in the roof structure too. I'm just going to try and fine a good donor car and buy it when the time is right.

View attachment 875712 I put a roof skin on my 73 Charger, it wasn't that bad a job to do. My car is from California, and the only rust on the car was under the vynal top. It was worse that yours,it looked like a sunroof car, but it wasn't. The AMD sheetmetal for 71 Chargers is very nice. My friend Gary personally test fitted every piece and offered up his NOS and nice used pieces for them to template the parts from. He made them keep retooling the parts until he was satisfied with the fit of every piece. This is a picture of my 73 with the replacement roof skin installed. Unfortunately AMD dosen't offer roof skins for the 71 to 74 B bodies yet. I had to get one from a donor car.

Are the roofs the same 71-74? If so I wont scrap mine when I am done taking parts off it. I have a solid WY 73 charger SE I bought for parts (no title) everything was there including the 400 4bbl. I have sold the front fenders to a fellow member here a while back. Kind of been debating what to do with the body when I am done. Don't want it sitting around. But wont be doing much till next spring at the very least.

DSCN0024.JPG

Last edited:
And I also agree it is worth saving! After what I got into with my 68 nothing scares me lol.

Are the roofs the same 71-74? If so I wont scrap mine when I am done taking parts off it. I have a solid WY 73 charger SE I bought for parts (no title) everything was there including the 400 4bbl. I have sold the front fenders to a fellow member here a while back. Kind of been debating what to do with the body when I am done. Don't want it sitting around. But wont be doing much till next spring at the very least.

View attachment 876305

I would certainly be interested. I need quite a bit of metal the way it looks.:rofl:

Hello. I'm wondering what the general consensus is on saving this 1971 Charger R/T. It has its born with U code 440 and 727. It's a B7 blue car with a white vinyl top (used to) and white interior.

It's also a factory A/C and hideaway headlights.

The roof is very bad and the floors are too. The frame rails look solid but I know that can go south. All of the R/T specific parts are there. The doors are amazing and the hood isn't rotted out. The rockers look good and so does the whole front clip.

I can do metal fab and body work fine and the project doesn't scare me. My question is how much is too much when it comes to metal work and replacement of sheetmetal?
View attachment 855586 View attachment 855587 View attachment 855588 View attachment 855589 View attachment 855590
There's probably a lot better ways to spend your time and money, but that's a choice you have to make.

I will make sure to keep the car then. Someone will be able to use it when I am done with it. I haven't gotten into that year of car so not to savvy of them. When I was about to retire I bought every car that presented itself. I wanted to make sure I had plenty to do. At one time I had 25 cars. Finished some sold some and now I am down to 5 that aren't finished. I retired 14 years ago so they have been with me since. The orange car was a parts car. And a real solid car The center car is a 72 SE Brougham and the one on the right is a 73 U code SE PS , PB , A/C , PW two of the 3 are out of WY so almost completely rust free. Back when I got them there was almost no interest in those years. Anyway I think your car is a good project and being an R/T makes it worth saving.

I will make sure to keep the car then. Someone will be able to use it when I am done with it. I haven't gotten into that year of car so not to savvy of them. When I was about to retire I bought every car that presented itself. I wanted to make sure I had plenty to do. At one time I had 25 cars. Finished some sold some and now I am down to 5 that aren't finished. I retired 14 years ago so they have been with me since. The orange car was a parts car. And a real solid car The center car is a 72 SE Brougham and the one on the right is a 73 U code SE PS , PB , A/C , PW two of the 3 are out of WY so almost completely rust free. Back when I got them there was almost no interest in those years. Anyway I think your car is a good project and being an R/T makes it worth saving.

Better to keep busy than to sit idle and die. I'm in central Iowa so when the time comes it wouldn't be that big of a drive.

Dude, one bit at a time. I've seen far worse....come though to be the best. I think it can be done, and done well. Good times.

Better to keep busy than to sit idle and die. I'm in central Iowa so when the time comes it wouldn't be that big of a drive.
Well I come to SE NE all the time. Funny thing that car of mine was down there at one time. I used to have a shop in Nemaha NE. I stored cars there. I sold it a few years back and hauled 14 cars up here.

That one is worth the effort. Welcome aboard.
Another central Ia. member here. { Panora }

That one is worth the effort. Welcome aboard.
Another central Ia. member here. { Panora }

Thanks. I spent a lot of time in Panora as a kid. My grandparents had a lake house there.

Auto Transport Service
Back