• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New noise discovered

YOU KNOW.. Now I know why this site does not have much action .. you guys are a bunch of jerks... A guy comes on here for help he gets two good answers .. then a bunch of JERKS jump in and start with the STUPID answers, Muffler barrens , Cock bites, valve bleed off??. and talking to them self's ... for a full page and a half..JERKS JUST JERKS.....
So its been almost a week and he is gone MIA.
Life can be a struggle for some but it is far worse when you are a humorless dullard.
This site gets plenty of action, unlike you....maybe getting some might improve your outlook.

First thing I would check is a shock bolt not tight enough
Famous for clunking noise

Finally got a chance to get a video. Both axles spin but the driveshaft doesn’t move. If I just wiggle a wheel back and forth it seems to engage a bit but otherwise nothing.

Finally got a chance to get a video. Both axles spin but the driveshaft doesn’t move. If I just wiggle a wheel back and forth it seems to engage a bit but otherwise nothing.

That's how an open differential works... if you lock one wheel the driveshaft will turn... Unless the transmission is in park, then nothing is gonna move beyond taking up the lash...

That's how an open differential works... if you lock one wheel the driveshaft will turn... Unless the transmission is in park, then nothing is gonna move beyond taking up the lash...
Ok so on to the next. I learn something new everyday.

Ok so on to the next. I learn something new everyday.
But that doesn't answer what your clunk is.. Since it happens when driving the rotors would clunk on the wheel studs since they are clamped to the axle by the lug nuts...

Nevada Dan's suggestion about shock mounts is good but that tends to clunk/rattle on a rough road & throttle position shouldn't have any effect...

Did you first do what I suggested in #4 ?

YOU KNOW.. Now I know why this site does not have much action .. you guys are a bunch of jerks... A guy comes on here for help he gets two good answers .. then a bunch of JERKS jump in and start with the STUPID answers, Muffler barrens , Cock bites, valve bleed off??. and talking to them self's ... for a full page and a half..JERKS JUST JERKS.....
1694575698845.jpeg

Getting this thread back on track.....

You need to get a car buddy to ride in the back seat while you drive.
That slows down with the rotation the tire. It sounds wheel and tire related.
Also, try rotating the phone when recording. Vertical video looks horrible.

Wow that is crazy, it almost sounds like a u-joint has lost all it's bearings

I know it can't be but that sounds exactly how a loose rim will sound.. what a weird thing to be so hard to track down

I might have missed this in the thread somewhere...Do you have disc brakes? Does it go away when you apply the brakes? Kind of sounds like a loose brake pad. I had that happen a long time ago and it made a similar noise. It was on my 67 Satellite with factory 4 piston caliper disc brakes. I don’t recall the cause or fix, but it was probably a sticking caliper piston.

Last edited:
It doesn't change when applying the brakes. I vote for bad U- joint or loose/bad pinion bearings.

I already mentioned a loose wheel.

Auto Transport Service
Back