• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New parts on old cars

'73bird

Local time
1:58 AM
Reaction score
Anyone have any examples. A friend of mine told me to use a 1988 dodge ram 5.9 liter starter on my 1973 440 as it bolts right up and is lighter than the original. It worked after i bought a remanufactured as the new one wasnt designed correctly.

The newer mini-starters should be a bolt on.

Case in point, that 1988 LA engine block is barely different than an older LA (roller can and slight mounting lug differences aside) and will accept either type of starter, as would an older block.

-Kurt

The newer mini-starters should be a bolt on.

Case in point, that 1988 LA engine block is barely different than an older LA (roller can and slight mounting lug differences aside) and will accept either type of starter, as would an older block.

-Kurt
Im talking buying parts for a newer car/truck and using it on an old car. The mini starters are aftermarket parts that are designed to use with an older motor. This is a lighter/more powerful starter than original and cheaper than a mini starter

The starters for the later V6's and V8's are light and more powerful and it doesn't matter if it was manufactured for the V6 or the bigger V8's. The only problem I've run into is the wire location wants to touch the block if it's going on a big block. As for price, I used to go hunting for nice ones whenever I went to a wrecking yard. Can't get any cheaper than that. I'm not familiar with aftermarket stuff that's cheaper than the ones that auto parts houses sell as replacements....or is that what you are talking about?

Ah, gotcha. Let me think:
  • Magnum 5.2/5.9: LA small block substitute, bolt in with minor mods.
  • '90s-'00s Chrysler Magnum-era E-core coil: Can be used in place of canister coil if doing an electronic ignition conversion requiring no ballast resistor, but inferior to low-resistance Ford or GM E-core coil alternatives
  • FMJ spindles or calipers in place of B-body spindles or slider calipers (FMJ's aren't really new anymore though...)
  • Modern Chrysler relays can be adapted to operate higher-amp electrical bits
  • Magnum-era air cleaners sit a bit tall, but will fit a 5-1/8" diameter carb opening (new AFB/AFS)
  • Late 1980's Dodge Van 15x7" wheels make for nice - if inaccurate - clones of A12-package wheels
Come to think of it, I can't think of a single thing that can be ripped off a Chrysler cab-forward '90s junkyardmobile and thrown onto a B-body. Probably for the better; those things belonged in the junkyard when new.

-Kurt

Ah, gotcha. Let me think:
  • Magnum 5.2/5.9: LA small block substitute, bolt in with minor mods.
  • '90s-'00s Chrysler Magnum-era E-core coil: Can be used in place of canister coil if doing an electronic ignition conversion requiring no ballast resistor, but inferior to low-resistance Ford or GM E-core coil alternatives
  • FMJ spindles or calipers in place of B-body spindles or slider calipers (FMJ's aren't really new anymore though...)
  • Modern Chrysler relays can be adapted to operate higher-amp electrical bits
  • Magnum-era air cleaners sit a bit tall, but will fit a 5-1/8" diameter carb opening (new AFB/AFS)
  • Late 1980's Dodge Van 15x7" wheels make for nice - if inaccurate - clones of A12-package wheels
Come to think of it, I can't think of a single thing that can be ripped off a Chrysler cab-forward '90s junkyardmobile and thrown onto a B-body. Probably for the better; those things belonged in the junkyard when new.

-Kurt
Ya that's what im talking about. 1984 dodge ram charger aluminum rims fit big bolt 70's b bodies

IIRC, 85 is the last year for the 4.5 BC on the pickups and vans.....

IIRC, 85 is the last year for the 4.5 BC on the pickups and vans.....

Now there's something I've been dying to know ever since I pulled a spare rim off an '80s slant six Ram B150 in the junkyard. Still kicking myself for not bringing home all four wheels.

5.5" was the replacement, right? Was so on my '98 B1500.

-Kurt

Now there's something I've been dying to know ever since I pulled a spare rim off an '80s slant six Ram B150 in the junkyard. Still kicking myself for not bringing home all four wheels.

5.5" was the replacement, right? Was so on my '98 B1500.

-Kurt
Pretty sure it was 5.5 BC....don't think I ever owned anything after 84 that had a 1/2 ton chassis.

Will that make my car have power brakes if i have manual brakes
Only if you install a booster on it. I installed a master from a 69 Valiant onto my 66 Belvedere. The lines were different and I also had to modify the brake light switch but I wanted a dual master instead of that single and the master from the 69 was new. It also had a smaller bore which decreased pedal pressure but the travel was just a bit more.

Only if you install a booster on it. I installed a master from a 69 Valiant onto my 66 Belvedere. The lines were different and I also had to modify the brake light switch but I wanted a dual master instead of that single and the master from the 69 was new. It also had a smaller bore which decreased pedal pressure but the travel was just a bit more.

So is there a booster for that or should I just get one of the aftermarket ones built for a 1973 roadrunner?

Anyone have any examples. A friend of mine told me to use a 1988 dodge ram 5.9 liter starter on my 1973 440 as it bolts right up and is lighter than the original. It worked after i bought a remanufactured as the new one wasnt designed correctly.

New parts, old cars? How about EFI on a 512 stroker, hydra boost on an old 65 Plymouth, G3 alternator replacing yesterday's outdated charging system utilizing an outboard voltage regulator, disk brakes on any old drum brake vehicle and TTI exhaust systems. All worth every penny of investment to add to the pleasure of driving.

So is there a booster for that or should I just get one of the aftermarket ones built for a 1973 roadrunner?
I never liked the factory power brake systems on the cars back then but two old cars I had were pretty decent. One was a 70 383 Challenger and the other was a 71 340 Cuda. Both were also a disc/drum set up. Most of my cars over the years were manual drum but they were also upgraded with better parts and pads (shoes). Two race cars of mine both had manual systems....of course. One was a high 9 second car with 4 wheel disc and the other was a 10.60 car with 4 wheel drum. The drum car was slower but was also heavier by around 450 lbs and imo, that car stopped just as well as the disc car did if not better. The disc car did have the light weight drag race brakes but didn't seem to stop all that well to me for being 8 mph faster. I'm not well versed in power set ups so you'll need to talk to others with a similar car or talk to the brake manufacturers for their recommendation in what you want.

Auto Transport Service
Back