• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Passenger Mirror install

Doug Larsson

Local time
2:29 AM
Reaction score
Drilling holes in a perfectly good passenger door is a little unnerving the stress level was way up there but I took all the precautions and it came out sweet. You CAN'T see much out of it but it's more of a confidence thing when you change lanes or are backing out lol. To help other members out who have thought of doing this I decided to do a how to picture show. But always check your dimensions versus what I have and double check every thing during each step of the process.
I used a 1/8" drill as a pilot hole then used a J drill the rivnet OD was .272 the J drill is .277.

20200612_175728.jpg 20200612_174005.jpg 20200612_174748.jpg 20200612_174756.jpg 20200612_174802.jpg 20200612_174833.jpg 20200612_180824.jpg 20200612_181730.jpg 20200612_190139.jpg

Well, just the upper panel remove is enough and the plate gets a stronger support to the mirror ( hence the reason the nutserts weren’t used anymore )

anyway, was just a suggestion. :)

The same holes can be comfortably reused and just add couple more inwards ( smaller ) for the pine tree fasteners

IIRC E body cars used the rivet inserts.

I'm not a fan of those as I've had several spin and that is NOT fun to remedy.

When I put mine on, I actually apologized to the car before drilling.

It IS a functional addition, and these particular mirrors are not terribly small.

I have considered a replacement "objects in mirror are closer..." lens.

I had to apologize to install my mirror too. And also the fender top turn signals.

I in fact opened the hole for a joystick system, because got a donor driver side door system... but then I got coward to open the hole on interior door panel LOL

Yes E bodies used the nutserts ( not sure if all years or just 70s ?), but still better the backing plate which is in anycase correct for 73/74 B body ;)

My 94 Dodge 2500 came with West Coast mirrors retained with nutserts.
Mike

I Had to apologize to my Daughters 67 Barracuda when I installed her rt mirror. I found if the rear hole was moved a small amount towards door glass she had better rear vision. The mirror is off being in a straight line a little. I thought that was better for rear sight.

I Had to apologize to my Daughters 67 Barracuda when I installed her rt mirror. I found if the rear hole was moved a small amount towards door glass she had better rear vision. The mirror is off being in a straight line a little. I thought that was better for rear sight.

vent window doors got the rt mirror asimetric ( toward to rear ) to the lf side to sway the vent glass pillar

I appreciate every one's opinion if they spin then it's my bad I'll fix the problem.

67 Chargers and maybe other B bodies did not have the driver’s and passenger mirrors equal distance from the door front edge.
I must admit that our car did not have a passenger mirror. I sat in my seat and had a helper move the passenger mirror until I could use it and it cleared the vent window.

67 Chargers and maybe other B bodies did not have the driver’s and passenger mirrors equal distance from the door front edge.

I have an unmolested 67 Belvedere wagon with it's original mandatory factory pass side mirror that disagrees with you.

...and if you look at E body mirrors, you'll see they are made different, to put the mirror more to the outside on the passenger's side.

You really don't want to see the quarter panel (although it's a comforting feeling) you want to see the blind spot, which is farther outboard.

I must admit that our car did not have a passenger mirror. I sat in my seat and had a helper move the passenger mirror until I could use it and it cleared the vent window.
On the 73's they were.

Auto Transport Service
Back