• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Solid Flat Tappet Lifter Question

70rcode

Local time
11:03 AM
Reaction score
Looking over my new Lunati solid flat tappet lifters & noticed the .035' thick Circlip & pushrod seat floats (rattles) inside lifter body freely with about .024" vertical clearance compared to my older mopar factory solid lifter with tight .0.0" clearance fit. The new Lunati lifter also has an 0.060" oil hole in bottom of seat to inside lifter body..The idea of an extra unadjustable Lash point to pound out a loose part is why I Haven't considered a solid roller lifter setup to start with & didn't see this issue coming....Any info or ideas appreciated,....tom.

Solid Flat Tappet Lifters as far as I know are Solid ? sounds to me like you have a Hydraulic Flat Tappet Lifter ?

It's built like normal solid lifter, 3 pieces, an outer body with separate top pushrod Seat held together with am internal 0.035" thick Circlip snapped into a 0.060" groove but these seats rattle with a 0.023" clearance seat to Circlip..I'm sure the .028" cam lash will beat the snap ring out . Don't know what the 0.060" seat hole is filling the lifter body for as there's no other hole for oil discharge.

Why dont you call lunati or a good engine shop and ask them? I would be interested in an answer as when I baught my first solid lifter cam (528 mopar) I noticed the same thing. Needless to say I ran it and ran it hard and never had an issue. soooo

I’ll be using these in my new motor.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-2901-16

60F1C5F3-DEE1-44CD-90F5-EC9127461109.png

Last edited:
I agree with yella71, call the manufacturer. I will add that I had a small block race car with solid lifters like you described. Started having issues keeping the valves adjusted. Upon further inspection I found several pushrod seats had cracked. When I removed the snap ring the seats fell out in pieces. I ended up buying one piece solid lifters.

Looking over my new Lunati solid flat tappet lifters & noticed the .035' thick Circlip & pushrod seat floats (rattles) inside lifter body freely with about .024" vertical clearance compared to my older mopar factory solid lifter with tight .0.0" clearance fit. The new Lunati lifter also has an 0.060" oil hole in bottom of seat to inside lifter body..The idea of an extra unadjustable Lash point to pound out a loose part is why I Haven't considered a solid roller lifter setup to start with & didn't see this issue coming....Any info or ideas appreciated,....tom.
You've got an EDM style lifter. Nothing wrong with that little bit of movement, that's the way they make a lot of them. My Howard's are the same way. There's no hydraulic plunger mechanism inside or anything like that, it's still a solid lifter. When it's writing up on the lobe it's solid all the way through its motion. Don't worry about it...

We have howards as well w edm and have some cranes I believe are one piece no edm. I don't recall if lunati offers edm yet...not sure if they offer it? I would return them and get edm if they are not.

Last edited:
I have Hylift Johnsons with the EDM hole, they oil the cam and will oil up through the push rod. They have the snap ring also. Check out Hughes engines site. HUG 5012EDM.

These plain solid lifters are Lunati # 70937-16, smooth sided, No oil band-groove, Non-EDM type, std 3 piece lifters (hollow lifter face-body, Removable pushrod Seat & 0.035" thick flat stamped C-clip/snap ring Retainer. Does Have a pushrod Seat oil entry hole Without any EDM or other oil exit hole & pushrod seat rattles (empty, no oil) with 0.024" verticle clearance within 0.060" inside snap ring groove. Will the .028" lash beat out the internal snap ring ? ... Never seen an oil entry hole on a flat tappet Solid lifter before & don't know it's function ....Anyone know or who makes Lunati solid lifters ? .....tom.

Also, talking with the popular cam/lifter tech support (including Trend), ...None of them Recommend using their up-graded EDM hole type Solid flat tappet lifter with Trend mentioning None of the Nascar teams spec or use their EDM hole solid flat tappet lifters ?? ....I didn't see that coming......tom.

This is an NOS Johnson solid lifter from the 70s. There is no clip! Old TRWs were the same way.
johnson.jpg

Last edited:
I can only imagine they also produce an EDM lifter as well and use the same body without the oil band and EDM. Maybe they source them through Hylift Johnson. Can't see any reason for the oil metering plate.

Also, talking with the popular cam/lifter tech support (including Trend), ...None of them Recommend using their up-graded EDM hole type Solid flat tappet lifter with Trend mentioning None of the Nascar teams spec or use their EDM hole solid flat tappet lifters ?? ....I didn't see that coming......tom.
A Nascar cam is completely different material than what us mortals run. Way tougher.
Doug

Lunati doesn't make Lifters as far as I know ? They 'rebox' lifters from where-ever..... maybe give them a call and ask where they bought them ?

I only run NOS lifters! I dont trust todays metallurgy.

Auto Transport Service
Back