• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New stroker 440.

I would not use cast iron heads on a stroker.... insufficient airflow is available Vrs Cost = by the time you PAY get an Iron Head to Flow anywhere close to even what a entry level "Stealth" Head Flows ootb... you've spent far more than just BUYING any number of Aluminum Heads

Muscle Motors is out of business. I think they are growing pot and taking care of elderly parents last I herd. No reason to use factory heads these days if you’re not a serious racer in a class that requires them. Plenty of quality stoker kits, the weak link is the block. You are at a crossroads. If you don’t have a known good factory block; you’re either going to get lucky or spend a lot of money.

Thanks for the info on Muscle Motors. Using factory heads to keep the original look. If the block I have is no good I’ll just buy another. Considering this build is going to be $10K+, the block is one of the cheaper parts.

Don't know about the 440 block's if their are more of them than the 383. Really had to hunt to find a non bored block.

Thanks for the info on Muscle Motors. Using factory heads to keep the original look. If the block I have is no good I’ll just buy another. Considering this build is going to be $10K+, the block is one of the cheaper parts.

I think you’re missing what we are are all trying to tell you. The stealth’s looks just like a factory head. Once you paint them no one will ever know the difference.

they are also capable of really good power with some porting.

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/first-hit-on-the-dyno.500469/

I think your missing what we are are all trying to tell you. The stealth’s looks just like a factory head. Once you paint them no one will ever know the difference.

I did take a look at them and saw they looked the same. But for the same cost I still prefer the iron heads. I’ve just never had any confidence in anything from 440source.

I like you would stay with cast iron. But not racing my car so really did not want a lot of horse power. Even though had too hold back on my motor builder. He got me around 400 Hp. out of the 383. Would like to get it tested one day on the machine to see what we really got. Build it like you want it and drive it like you stole it. LOL.

I like you would stay with cast iron. But not racing my car so really did not want a lot of horse power. Even though had too hold back on my motor builder. He got me around 400 Hp. out of the 383. Would like to get it tested one day on the machine to see what we really got. Build it like you want it and drive it like you stole it. LOL.

The guy doing my heads just got 575 ft-lbs of torque out of a 383 with iron heads on pump gas!

Know where getting in the 400 hp range. But still would like to take it in and have a test run. Blue.

I did take a look at them and saw they looked the same. But for the same cost I still prefer the iron heads. I’ve just never had any confidence in anything from 440source.

If you rebuild the Cast Iron Heads 'properly' ?
ie: Hone-Fit Bronze Guides, and with new Valves/V-Springs/Retainers/Locks/Seals etc., etc., imo... you will probably spend the same as just buying STEALTH Heads
albeit,
there will be NO room $-wise for Porting the Cast Iron Heads... which will most probably Flow in the 230'ish cfm range @ .600" Lift at best ?
whereas...
the Stealth's are 260'ish OOTB as delivered.

Meaning....
those rebuilt 'properly' Cast Iron Heads are best utilized targeting a 460hp build(230 cfm X 2).... and have a HIGH detonation probability(open Chamber / poor quench) on 91 Octane pump gas.
whereas...
as delivered... the STEALTH Heads for the same Money are at least a minimum 50 hp better than those Irons in any application, and have closed Chambers for far superior quench characteristic on pump gas.

Your call.... but why would you spend the same to have LESS ?

If you rebuild the Cast Iron Heads 'properly' ?
ie: Hone-Fit Bronze Guides, and with new Valves/V-Springs/Retainers/Locks/Seals etc., etc., imo... you will probably spend the same as just buying STEALTH Heads
albeit,
there will be NO room $-wise for Porting the Cast Iron Heads... which will most probably Flow in the 230'ish cfm range @ .600" Lift at best ?
whereas...
the Stealth's are 260'ish OOTB as delivered.

Meaning....
those rebuilt 'properly' Cast Iron Heads are best utilized targeting a 460hp build(230 cfm X 2).... and have a HIGH detonation probability(open Chamber / poor quench) on 91 Octane pump gas.
whereas...
as delivered... the STEALTH Heads for the same Money are at least a minimum 50 hp better than those Irons in any application, and have closed Chambers for far superior quench characteristic on pump gas.

Your call.... but why would you spend the same to have LESS ?

Including the porting the cost is almost the same as the stealth heads.And I wouldn’t use the stealth heads if they were free.

Last edited:
Including the porting the cost is almost the same as the stealth heads.And I wouldn’t use the stealth heads if they were free.

Good for you !
I too am committed to moving away from any offshore products as much as I can ? and where ever possible ?

That said,
I'm at a loss to understand how anyone can rebuild Cast Iron Heads properly..... and perform Porting comparable to the STEALTH Heads Flow performance for even close to the same cost ?

As long as you are going in with your eyes open.... that for the same cost you will be down at a minimum 50hp from the OOTB STEALTH Heads.
because...
2.14"/1.81" valves alone will cost you minimum $300.
El Cheapo Valve Springs/Retainers/Locks $200.
Valve Seals $30

Meaning you have maybe $500 to "Rebuild and Port" the Cast Iron Heads..... which are difficult to match the 260 cfm OOTB STEALTH Flow with Cast Iron Heads... not to mention the open chamber detonation characteristic present in the Cast Iron Heads on a Stroker ?

I admire your commitment... I really do.... as long as you are aware of what you are up against then all the best with the project !

Good for you !
I too am committed to moving away from any offshore products as much as I can ? and where ever possible ?

That said,
I'm at a loss to understand how anyone can rebuild Cast Iron Heads properly..... and perform Porting comparable to the STEALTH Heads Flow performance for even close to the same cost ?

As long as you are going in with your eyes open.... that for the same cost you will be down at a minimum 50hp from the OOTB STEALTH Heads.
because...
2.14"/1.81" valves alone will cost you minimum $300.
El Cheapo Valve Springs/Retainers/Locks $200.
Valve Seals $30

Meaning you have maybe $500 to "Rebuild and Port" the Cast Iron Heads..... which are difficult to match the 260 cfm OOTB STEALTH Flow with Cast Iron Heads... not to mention the open chamber detonation characteristic present in the Cast Iron Heads on a Stroker ?

I admire your commitment... I really do.... as long as you are aware of what you are up against then all the best with the project !

Will the heads be rebuilt and ported correctly? - YES! I’ve known this guy for many years and he’s one of the best Mopar head guys there is! No concerns there at all.

Will they match the flow of the Stealth heads?? - Don’t know, don’t care! They will be more than sufficient for my goal and be a quality reliable head. I’m not competing with anyone else.

And as far as cost is concerned, I know how to do simple math. And I know what my budget is. He gave me a price and I agreed. No problem here.

Now can I stop hearing about those damn Stealth heads?

Personally I don’t see the cents in building a stroker with a cast head. A big stroker with a cast head is just backwards thinking. I know lots of ppl do it. Like John Lingenfelter used to say: leave the short block alone and buy the best heads u can afford. Kim

Personally I don’t see the cents in building a stroker with a cast head. A big stroker with a cast head is just backwards thinking. I know lots of ppl do it. Like John Lingenfelter used to say: leave the short block alone and buy the best heads u can afford. Kim

So you think there’s nothing to gain from increasing the stroke?

I think a lot of us Love this kind of racing. Certainly next level stuff that most can only aspire too. But, F.A.S.T. racing wouldn't be the same without stroker cranks and massively ported iron heads.
Screenshot_20210926-143814_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210926-143841_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210926-143859_Chrome.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back