• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New stroker 440.

Here another thought -
Considering the slight increase of port size in the Stealth heads over a set of ported iron heads. Would this even be beneficial in the lower rpm range where 90% of street driving is done? Would this not even decrease velocity and torque in this rpm range? And the benefit of the larger ports only come into play at higher rpms?
Which I could understand in a racing application but not for a street cruiser.

Just a thought.

So you think there’s nothing to gain from increasing the stroke?
Decreasing your wallet?(when the heads don't proportionally increase in flow)

Decreasing your wallet?(when the heads don't proportionally increase in flow)

But the cost is the same??
And the heads will dramatically increase in flow.

Last edited:
Here another thought -
Considering the slight increase of port size in the Stealth heads over a set of ported iron heads. Would this even be beneficial in the lower rpm range where 90% of street driving is done? Would this not even decrease velocity and torque in this rpm range? And the benefit of the larger ports only come into play at higher rpms?
Which I could understand in a racing application but not for a street cruiser.

Just a thought.
With a standard port window I don't think you can get the port so big that you will find a velocity problem on a 440 let alone a stroker.

Here are some dyno tests on a 440 with iron heads in various stages of porting and different intake manifolds. Then for fun we used some max wedge size ports in some Indy EZ heads and two different camshafts............

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/pops-440-is-near-ready-to-dyno.64775/

My thought is the cam and intake manifold will dictate your torque in the lower ranges.

With a standard port window I don't think you can get the port so big that you will find a velocity problem on a 440 let alone a stroker.

Here are some dyno tests on a 440 with iron heads in various stages of porting and different intake manifolds. Then for fun we used some max wedge size ports in some Indy EZ heads and two different camshafts............

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/pops-440-is-near-ready-to-dyno.64775/

My thought is the cam and intake manifold will dictate your torque in the lower ranges.

Thanks for the info. I figured you would have some good input on the subject.
Intake will be a six pack, camshaft is yet to be determined.

Thanks for the info. I figured you would have some good input on the subject.
Intake will be a six pack, camshaft is yet to be determined.
Huh. We may have some future information for you that will be of some value. These 906 heads are going on a 6-bbl 512/440 running a Comp Cams XR280HR-10 hydraulic roller with solid roller tappets.

Huh. We may have some future information for you that will be of some value. These 906 heads are going on a 6-bbl 512/440 running a Comp Cams XR280HR-10 hydraulic roller with solid roller tappets.

I would be interested in the results of that.

Now can I stop hearing about those damn Stealth heads?

Maybe but I doubt it. We're pretty close to finishing up a $3,500 set of 906 heads.

Seems like Jims customer also preferred ported iron over Stealths.

When I get the “ported iron” phone calls, I bring up the Stealths.
Sometimes it’s well rec’d, sometimes not so much.
I don’t try and change their minds.
It’s their $$$ to spend.

Some of the ported factory heads I’ve done have run surprisingly well in the FAST class(way better than you’d expect based on flow numbers).
But they’re more along the lines price wise of what Jim’s working on(and his probably flow more) than what some equivalent flowing Stealths would cost.

452’s in my mind aren’t “better” than 906’s........ but they’re certainly “easier”(cheaper) to get to a certain flow point.

Seems like Jims customer also preferred ported iron over Stealths.

When I get the “ported iron” phone calls, I bring up the Stealths.
Sometimes it’s well rec’d, sometimes not so much.
I don’t try and change their minds.
It’s their $$$ to spend.

Some of the ported factory heads I’ve done have run surprisingly well in the FAST class(way better than you’d expect based on flow numbers).
But they’re more along the lines price wise of what Jim’s working on(and his probably flow more) than what some equivalent flowing Stealths would cost.

452’s in my mind aren’t “better” than 906’s........ but they’re certainly “easier”(cheaper) to get to a certain flow point.

906 vs 452 - I believe he said something along the lines of “a better starting point”. I loosely translated to “better”

My goal here is to get a strong running and reliable engine based off the factory block, heads and intake.
Since I don’t have a rotating assembly it doesn’t cost any more to add a few cubic inches. And since I’m already having the heads redone why not have them ported to maximize the benefits of the longer stroke.

My current engine is 490hp/ 512 ft-lbs, but can’t run on pump gas.
If I can run the new one on pump gas and not lose power than I’ll be satisfied.

If I was going for maximum performance this would be a totally different conversation.

That’s not what I’m saying. There will lots more tq. It’s just my opinion. Kim

So if you agree it will add more power, and the cost is the same, I don’t understand the “backwards thinking “ comment. Or how you see no sense in doing it.

So if you agree it will add more power, and the cost is the same, I don’t understand the “backwards thinking “ comment. Or how you see no sense in doing it.

what I think he means to say is too a point you probably won’t see the full potential of the stroker as the heads are the main ingredient to its power along with the camshaft and induction. You do have a few guys commenting on this post that can and do make iron heads work. Obviously they’re expensive as it’s extremely labor intensive to port them. And good labor isn’t cheap!! I get what your doing, As I didn’t take my Indy SR’s out to a MW port cause I wanted to run a six pack. I’ve ran some other intakes on the motor though including a MW sized Indy single plane with a dominator. I can tell you that on a 500 ci motor that big induction doesn’t hurt them for power (as already stated in the thread). I like the aluminum heads for a few reasons. 1) they take some weight off. 2) they seem to help the motor run cooler on the street. 3) the guy grinding on them will thank you. 4) the iron heads won’t be any cheaper in the long run. That’s my thoughts and why I suggested what I did. I think a few of us are under similar mind sets. In the end it’s your build so do what you want.

906 vs 452 - I believe he said something along the lines of “a better starting point”. I loosely translated to “better”

In purely untouched form, 452’s flow less and have a smaller runner volume than 906’s.

The best running 6bbl FAST cars used 906’s.

In purely untouched form, 452’s flow less and have a smaller runner volume than 906’s.

The best running 6bbl FAST cars used 906’s.

Good to know, thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back