• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Thread for restoring Instrument clusters

Lionized

Local time
7:30 PM
Reaction score
resurrecting this thread because I am about to do the same although I am going to do it myself. Wondering if anyone has also done their own rallye cluster restoration and can offer some advice?
I have the gauge reface overlays on the way. Have already converted the Tick Tock Tach to electronic and purchased a solid state limiter thanks to RTE.

My real questions are:
resurfacing the bezel; would you try to strip the old finish (somehow) and then re-apply? Would you use hobby shop silver foil or try spray on chrome for the instrument rings? What about the black? I do have a can of Herb's Parts black interior paint which I was planning to use on the A pillar and kick panel trim, should I spray the bezels at the same time or would/should they be a different shade/finish?

Thank you in advance to any and all who chime in. Your advice is much appreciated.

resurrecting this thread because I am about to do the same although I am going to do it myself. Wondering if anyone has also done their own rallye cluster restoration and can offer some advice?
I have the gauge reface overlays on the way. Have already converted the Tick Tock Tach to electronic and purchased a solid state limiter thanks to RTE.

My real questions are:
resurfacing the bezel; would you try to strip the old finish (somehow) and then re-apply? Would you use hobby shop silver foil or try spray on chrome for the instrument rings? What about the black? I do have a can of Herb's Parts black interior paint which I was planning to use on the A pillar and kick panel trim, should I spray the bezels at the same time or would/should they be a different shade/finish?

Thank you in advance to any and all who chime in. Your advice is much appreciated.

I suggest you start your own thread and post up some present "before" pics of what you have

- - - Updated - - -

Is this a response to my questions?

It is one response. You can make it look very good doing the resto of the cluster yourself. There are many posts on here how to do it. Or, like response #2, send it out. There are several places that do restoration work.

I suggest you start your own thread and post up some present "before" pics of what you have

I think I just might.

It is one response. You can make it look very good doing the resto of the cluster yourself. There are many posts on here how to do it. Or, like response #2, send it out. There are several places that do restoration work.

Well, sending it out is out of the question. I simply don't have that kind of money.
This is also the reason I refuse to spend $5-$600 on reproduction bezels. The only one that really needed replacing was the instrument bezel and I was able to locate an original. now I just need to get them all to match.

Use a good cleaner and paint. Some have used the fine paint pens for the silver around the gauges. If you go that route, get a magnifyer so that any mistakes will be so fine they will not be noticeable without magnification. I did that on my switch plate with great results.

This is a "next fall" must for me. All ears. I too hesitate to spend this kind of dough on this. I am concerned about a fire under dash, so when the M+H goes in, the rest will be done also including the cosmetics. Time to put in the factory type AC vents too. That forum link above is inspirational.

OK, Dennis. Keep us in the loop. Are you going to make a separate thread when the time comes?

Hmm. Yes. It's gonna be long.

I wish I had the skill of some of my mentors on here.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg Speedo, oil pressure and fuel sorta work now. The mileage indicator, Valentine One, Sunpro, and hokey ac markings must stay. And the tweeters.

Last edited:
looks as though you might get away with a good cleaning and touch up of the chrome and lettering.
our lower dash pads look to be in about the same condition as well, Dennis. I'll be investigating the repair/re-adhesion of the vinyl once the car returns from the body shop. The instrument cluster and bezel restoration is the final piece of the puzzle for my 'Bee. Should be fun!

Thanks Jon! I've been investigating that paint. Unfortunately it's not available, around here at least, in the rattle can. I'm going to try it with an airbrush.

I've also got some foil chrome from a hobby shop which I will also try. I'll post the results of both in the restoration thread I started.

Your results look great and I believe that's the way I'll go but I would like to try both to show everyone else considering doing this themselves.

I saw a test using several plastic spoons before painting the dash pieces. It seems painting the piece black first makes the chrome look shinier for whatever reason.

WARNING!!!! Turn your speakers off before watchng the above video!!!!

That's the test I recalled seeing.

Sorry, yeah, I should've warned everyone.
Sound is not necessary for this video. There is no useful commentary.

I sprayed it on the black dash and tied to buff it out, but it didn't help much.
-Jon

Auto Transport Service
Back