• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to classic Mopars

RM23H2R

Local time
7:54 AM
Reaction score
Hello FBBO,
I’m Nicholas, 24 years old living life in boring old NEIA. Just recently bought a 72 Plymouth Roadrunner 340 auto on column, TB3, no stripe, J45 hood pin car. Definitely a project but drivable as is, had wiring issues that were resolved last week and now finally woke the car up from its 25+ year dirt nap this morning. Was able to get car running without dying when air cleaner is off and actually got it to go in gear nicely after changing all fluids. Only issues I’m really having right now is that car dies with air filter on it for some reason (new filter too) and needs gas in carb to even start. It is a hc 1971 318 with 340 heads. Also have where I have headlamps, turn signals, brake lights, hazards working but the side marker light, orange lower valance lights, dash lights, radio and rear taillights are not working at all. Don’t make any sense why hazards and turn signals would work but not tail lights. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

18B90587-2B9D-47E4-9414-C4528C9596FE.jpeg 0FE52A19-9606-40E6-AF8F-C0F6686C7ED2.jpeg 5EDF330A-7834-4614-9280-1DE31D028A7E.jpeg D725BC63-DB2B-40BC-9018-F9F999D5BBAA.jpeg 3B19D434-C0AD-4D52-A67F-243EB27C11CA.jpeg

Welcome aboard from NJ and thanks for posting pictures. Car looks good! Someone will chime in to help as electrically I suck! Best of luck with your new toy! I am glad to see younger folks interested in these older Mopars.
:thumbsup:

Welcome from Alabama, a 72 with lots of potential.

Welcome. Awesome car you have. I would be looking for grounding issues with your electrical stuff. Lots of gremlins after 25 years of sitting no doubt. Old crusty wiring and potential buring in places. You will need to go over the car till its all resolved.

Awesome car. Another gremlin is the fuel pickup sock in the gas tank as long as you are working to keep it running Chang it out and clean your tank. After 47 year a lot of crap gets into the tank

I do believe the tail light bulb sockets are wedged into the tail light housing like they are on the 1971 tail lights.
Over time the ground is lost due to corrosion getting in between the socket and housing.
First thing to do is use a test light & check each bulb socket for power.
Next thing to try is run a wire from the one of the light bulb sockets (wrap the stripped wire around the socket) to a good ground then try it.
If it works then all of the sockets will need their own grounding wire.
Good luck.

Welcome from Michigan, the Motor City! Nice project, like the color keep it! 440'

Old MOpar? First thing is pull the gas tank clean check for leaks rust holes, pull out the sender and probably order new one and new ground strap for sender. Next is clean and kit for carb. Ceck al brake lines for need of replacement. Welcome!!!!!!!

Welcome from Michigan. Nice car you have. Good luck with the gremlins. You may want to check the bulbs and harness ground for the rear lights.

Gotta love a Petty blue 72 RR.

Welcome aboard from Ohio. Yup, 1st thing is good,clean grounds.

As stated above, the usual culprit with some of these issues is grounding. Since the hazards and brakes work it sounds like the housings are properly grounded though. The parking lights are a different circuit that along with the dash lights suggests that the headlight switch may have issues. Also remember that dash lights are on their own fuse so double check that. Taking connectors apart and cleaning the terminals can help as corrosion may be an issue too. Getting a service manual here can help too:
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

Good luck!

If it runs without the air filter but dies when you put it on, make sure that the air filter housing isn't coming into contact with anything that it shouldn't. Assuming there is no interference then move onto the choke adjustment. Unless the carb is really out of whack it shouldn't be enough of a drop in O2 to kill it. An inexpensive vacuum gauge would be a good investment.

:welcome: from Alabama! Sweeeeet ride, B3 is a great color!

As has already been mentioned, bad grounding can create all sorts of electrical gremlins. Check all of the grounds, clean the terminals and the ground area to ensure there is no rust/corrosion. There are grounds in unusual places, take your time and get them all. Also as mentioned, the factory service manual will be a big help to ya. Nice find, great to see another road runner cruising the streets once again!

Auto Transport Service
Back