• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to Holley - holley 4777-2, 650 DP, need a good carb kit- recommends

4mulas

Local time
3:00 AM
Reaction score
Hi there, I’m totally new to Holley’s and would like to try one on my 383. I have this 4777-2 that would need a kit so I am looking for a recommend on a Good quality kit to rebuild it, not looking to save money as I think a carb is not the place to do it.

Also wondering if this is a good match for a 383, 9.8 compression, mild port heads with 2.14 - 1.81 valves, 275 DEH comp cam. Elevation 3500’ so some BASELINE JETTING RECOMENDS TOO! Please.

I have Edelbrock AVS 1805 carb on it now but am tired of evaporation and bleed back creating an empty carb after 5 days or so, lots of cranking etc to get going again. I have friends with holley’s that don’t seem to have that problem.

If a guy was to shop for a new holley there seems to be 1000 choices, quick fuel, demon, classic - street- race holley’s etc…. dp’s vs vac secondaries etc… WHAT TO USE AND CFM’S Please.

I know nothing about them so you have to dumb down the replies. Just really want to try one so I’m not bias nor opinionated about Carter vs holley etc and to see if I can cure a few problems that I currently have.

Get a true holley kit. Usually 40-50 bucks but haven't checked prices in a while.
The double pumper kit.

Holley kit, 4777 is a 650CFM, I would prefer a 700 or a 750 but your throttle response will make up for it. I like the AVS and the double pumper as well so no bias here either. A -2 is pretty old so hopefully the throttle blades are nice and tight.

Holley kit, 4777 is a 650CFM, I would prefer a 700 or a 750 but your throttle response will make up for it. I like the AVS and the double pumper as well so no bias here either. A -2 is pretty old so hopefully the throttle blades are nice and tight.

Thanks, and yes, that’s the first thing I checked. It’s been out of service for a long time and they are nice and tight. It has seen very little use.

What brand/model/cfm’s would you recommend if I wanted to try brand new?
One for the runner with the 383 as listed above, and

One for the yellow car which has a low deck 451 making around 525 squared which currently has an avs2 800, it works good but hots starts are a bit weak and after a few days it bleeds back and evaporates leaving it dry.. sometimes has a small stumble at the beginning to it as well

Automatic or a stick car? DP's can be a bit temperamental with an auto with a tight converter however my first foray with Holleys was a 750 DP on a mild 383 with a factory high stall, 3.91 gears, with an aluminum intake and headers. Also had 915's with stock size valves and no porting and it worked pretty well. Never used QFT stuff but never heard anything bad about them.....

Automatic or a stick car? DP's can be a bit temperamental with an auto with a tight converter however my first foray with Holleys was a 750 DP on a mild 383 with a factory high stall, 3.91 gears, with an aluminum intake and headers. Also had 915's with stock size valves and no porting and it worked pretty. Never used QFT stuff but never heard anything bad about them.....
Both manual. One with 3.91 (383) and the other with 3.54 (451 Dana car)

Last edited:
I agree QF on a new one from what I've heard. On the 451 I would use an 800-850CFM. On the 383 I would try the 4777, perfect world a 750CFM but I don't think the increase in topend power vs the response of the 4777 would be worth the change.
I would try the original jets the 4777-2 came with from Holley first, they'll probably be what it wants in the end. If you don't have the specs I can see if I can dig out my Holley book.

I agree QF on a new one from what I've heard. On the 451 I would use an 800-850CFM. On the 383 I would try the 4777, perfect world a 750CFM but I don't think the increase in topend power vs the response of the 4777 would be worth the change.
I would try the original jets the 4777-2 came with from Holley first, they'll probably be what it wants in the end. If you don't have the specs I can see if I can dig out my Holley book.

There’s no rush but yes I wouldn’t mind, and thank you. I suppose I could look first and let you know what’s in there too. There’s no telling who may have put what in it over time. After the last post I went and confirmed the throttle shafts are perfect…

Do you care about full out power..racing?
Where you at?

Well, from experience, the DP's won't give you very good fuel mileage in town but they can be quite good out on the highway if you are running 'highway gears'. The car will make a difference too. Fuel mileage on the highway in a brick (like a 66-67 Belvedere sedan) won't be too good either lol. Probably could have done better with mine but cruising 95 was just the thing to do back in the 70's. :D

Last three kits I bought were jegs house brand, perfectly acceptable and complete. Somewhere around $20 each.
There is NO way I spend $50 for a carb kit just cause it says holley on the box!
Edit: checked my new jegs catalog, looks like they are around $28 now.

Edit: Please keep the political crap out of the regular forums!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last three kits I bought were jegs house brand, perfectly acceptable and complete. Somewhere around $20 each.
There is NO way I spend $50 for a carb kit just cause it says holley on the box!
Not that you will...
BUT DONT MOVE TO CANADA

Any kit will work but buy a holley power valve as some after market ones are not so good

Auto Transport Service
Back