• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to me 72 Charger SE with some issues

Flash

Local time
1:18 PM
Reaction score
Hey just recently picked up a 72 charger this past weekend and have been going through it.

Previous owner had done alot of work restoring the charger as far as sanding and repainting frame, underbody, engine bay, and body. The charger runs well, but does have some issues.

There seems to be a parasitic drain and I think I've identified it. The dome light always stays on with the switch on or off. I have checked the door switches and I am pretty sure they are good as the light for lighting up the ignition turns off when the doors are closed.

Other issue I've noticed randomly is the right turn signal Indicator will randomly stay on while driving. Any ideas what would be causing it? Thinking maybe looking at getting the car rewired would be a good thing to do.

Also just noticed the gas tank is leaking from the sending unit. Ordered a new gasket, hoping that fixes it!

Besides that love this thing, just figuring out the random issues from being 47 years old!

Screenshot_20190802-200023.png Screenshot_20190802-211057~2.png

Get a factory service manual. It will have all your wiring diagrams and makes it so much easier to diagnose issues like you have.

Gas could also be coming from the solder joints where the tubes go into the sending unit plate but I would try the gasket first too. It may just be out of position.

Get a factory service manual. It will have all your wiring diagrams and makes it so much easier to diagnose issues like you have.

Gas could also be coming from the solder joints where the tubes go into the sending unit plate but I would try the gasket first too. It may just be out of position.

Yeah definitely, have both the body and chassis service manual.

If it the welds, do I just need a new sending unit?

Check your wires at the bulkhead connector. Mine was acting like yours, wires melted at the bulkhead connection.

Will do, just starting to get familiar with the service manual and charger. Is it under the driver side dash?

Service manuals with the wiring diagrams are available for free at mymopar.com. Another member had a similar issue that turned out to be a bad switch on the map light.

Service manuals with the wiring diagrams are available for free at mymopar.com. Another member had a similar issue that turned out to be a bad switch on the map light.

Yeah I have the service manual from the previous owner. Just starting to get familiar with the manual and charger. So going to start by tracing all the wires to the dome light and see what is bad.

What they said on the wiring. I hate wiring issues. On the tank leak, if somebody replaced the sending unit, there is a good chance the aftermarket lock ring is the problem. Most all of them are junk! If that's the case, the ONLY good source that I know of for a replacement is either a good original or Bill Rolik.
http://www.billrolikenterprises.com/products.asp?cat=23&pg=14

Hey just recently picked up a 72 charger this past weekend and have been going through it.

Previous owner had done alot of work restoring the charger as far as sanding and repainting frame, underbody, engine bay, and body. The charger runs well, but does have some issues.

There seems to be a parasitic drain and I think I've identified it. The dome light always stays on with the switch on or off. I have checked the door switches and I am pretty sure they are good as the light for lighting up the ignition turns off when the doors are closed.

Other issue I've noticed randomly is the right turn signal Indicator will randomly stay on while driving. Any ideas what would be causing it? Thinking maybe looking at getting the car rewired would be a good thing to do.

Also just noticed the gas tank is leaking from the sending unit. Ordered a new gasket, hoping that fixes it!

Besides that love this thing, just figuring out the random issues from being 47 years old!

View attachment 813781 View attachment 813782

I love that car and body style!
PS: I spent 12 great years in Dayton!

What they said on the wiring. I hate wiring issues. On the tank leak, if somebody replaced the sending unit, there is a good chance the aftermarket lock ring is the problem. Most all of them are junk! If that's the case, the ONLY good source that I know of for a replacement is either a good original or Bill Rolik.
http://www.billrolikenterprises.com/products.asp?cat=23&pg=14

Thanks! I'll grab one just in case that's the issue.

Broken cancel cams on turn signal switches are very common.

If the gas tank has been replaced, the sending unit lock ring that comes with repro tanks SUCKS, that could cause a leak.

Dayton OH 1969 (1)-1988 (20)

If the gas tank has been replaced, the sending unit lock ring that comes with repro tanks SUCKS, that could cause a leak.

I had that issue but not with the lock ring itself but the ring welded to the tank!!! so I had to lock it gently to not bend it ( the piece welded, not the ring )

I had that issue but not with the lock ring itself but the ring welded to the tank!!! so I had to lock it gently to not bend it ( the piece welded, not the ring )

Yeah I am not sure if the tank is original.

Did you have to get the tank ring welded?

I just used the OEM lock ring that was on the old tank I took off.

The repro ones are too thin and they don't crush the gasket enough, and that lets them slide around which then could cause the assembly to leak.

Good luck with your new car mate ... wicked picture in the rear view .
. .. love it :thumbsup:

I just used the OEM lock ring that was on the old tank I took off.

The repro ones are too thin and they don't crush the gasket enough, and that lets them slide around which then could cause the assembly to leak.

Ah yeah, I don't have the original so I ordered as new gasket that is supposed to be thicker. Also bought some multimetal sealant to have ready if the sending unit itself is leaking.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-57-9...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

the repro lock rings also flex and can bend real easy- a radial bend that makes them conical.

Best solution is find an OEM ring.

there was a FxBO member selling them a few months ago.

Hey I decided to take a short video the leak. After watching it for a second it actually looks like the line is the part leaking. What do you all think?

I attached a picture of it since the video is too big. The rubber hose looks a little damp like it could be leaking.

IMG_20190811_150552.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back