• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to the site, long-time Mopar fanatic

Darrah

Local time
3:52 PM
Reaction score
Long-time lurker, finally getting around to setting up an account. I used to be really active over on Moparts for many years, but time/life changed and I've been enjoying the hobby vicariously through others for awhile now.

My first car was a '70 Cuda I bought in 1997 when I was 12. Learned a ton rebuilding that, then moved onto a '68 Satellite. Put a 440-6 in that and did a partial Road Runner clone that I enjoyed for many years. Sold that, then bought a '67 Dart, put a 471 stroker in it and turned it into a decent 11-second daily driver.

In 2008 my wife and I had our first child and, as it typically goes, cars took a backseat to other priorities. I sold the Dart after deciding I didn't have time to devote to "tinkering" anymore.

Fast forward a few more years, and I now have two boys that are getting into cars. My oldest just turned 13, and we're finishing up his first car, a Mazda RX7 that we put an LS1 and T56 in. It's a great learning car for him, and he's done everything from full transmission rebuild to interior work. He wants an old Mopar, but I can't justify it with the crazy prices these days. The youngest wants a 70's-80's Dodge truck or Ramcharger, so we'll be on the hunt for that soon.

Which brings me to what's hopefully the next project. I acquired a 528 hemi a few years ago that has been sitting in the shop torturing me. I've always wanted a hemi car (don't we all?), so it's time to find a home for the hemi. I'm on the lookout for a 68-72 4-speed B-body, preferably '70-'72, as the next toy for myself and the boys. I've missed my '68 since the day I sold it, and can't wait to get back into something.

Thanks in advance for all the help I'm sure everyone will provide on whatever my next project is, and hopefully I can return the favor occasionally!

My youngest learning how to work on the hemi:
uc?export=view&id=1653oa8UiIPIAP5MWEn4cEh3QjA4GVmUZ.jpg

My oldest rebuilding the T56 for his car
uc?export=view&id=1aSj73_CF9IR4-4BfEfhbt82AYlXFTtDn.jpg

Welcome to the site!!! I have all girls and of the 3, the one that looked like she would be interested in cars turned out to not be. It was like the light was on and then she decided not to be. I'm thinking peer pressure stopped it. She has had this small group of friends since early grade school for the last 25 years and well....what can I say.

welcome to FBBO that’s great your sons are car guys enjoy that time together and good luck with your search

Welcome from Alabama, your not to far removed, from the hobby, I see a high impact color on a Viper in the photo.

Welcome aboard from Edwards AFB area....So Calif Mojave desert
Again welcome and thanks for joining the forum.

Welcome aboard from Ohio.

Cool story...

Love seeing the youngun' getting deep into it too

Welcome to FBBO

Welcome to the site!!! I have all girls and of the 3, the one that looked like she would be interested in cars turned out to not be. It was like the light was on and then she decided not to be. I'm thinking peer pressure stopped it. She has had this small group of friends since early grade school for the last 25 years and well....what can I say.

After growing up with a sister, I'm glad I didn't have any girls... for multiple reasons other than cars. Hopefully the boys stick with it. My oldest's first love is baseball, but one day that'll go away and I'm hoping cars remain in his blood. The youngest is more hands-on and has an incredible understanding of mechanical systems. School is a bit of a struggle for him, but when working on things he naturally understands how they go together and function.

welcome to FBBO that’s great your sons are car guys enjoy that time together and good luck with your search

Thanks! My in-laws live in Export and my wife grew up in Irwin... I was just up the road from you two weeks ago. I enjoy whatever time I can working with them.

Welcome from Alabama, your not to far removed, from the hobby, I see a high impact color on a Viper in the photo.

Yep... it was an impulse purchase a few years ago. I got a good deal on it, fixed a few small things to get it running well, and now it's something fun to kick around in. I'll most likely sell it to fund whatever B-body I end up purchasing.

uc?export=view&id=1_vZNL0DrsSOo6hdO-KE5kFGJJIYOsRrC.jpg

After growing up with a sister, I'm glad I didn't have any girls... for multiple reasons other than cars. Hopefully the boys stick with it. My oldest's first love is baseball, but one day that'll go away and I'm hoping cars remain in his blood. The youngest is more hands-on and has an incredible understanding of mechanical systems. School is a bit of a struggle for him, but when working on things he naturally understands how they go together and function.

Thanks! My in-laws live in Export and my wife grew up in Irwin... I was just up the road from you two weeks ago. I enjoy whatever time I can working with them.

Yep... it was an impulse purchase a few years ago. I got a good deal on it, fixed a few small things to get it running well, and now it's something fun to kick around in. I'll most likely sell it to fund whatever B-body I end up purchasing.

View attachment 1144165
Yeah, I have a sister too that's 4 years older and thought she could boss me around....and she did a pretty good until I turned 14 and one of our knock down drag outs turned into a draw but she had to try one more time about a week later. I won that match and won it good and ended all that crap! If only she knew what I did to her 65 fairly new Mustang when I got my license and talked her into letting me drive it if I took care of it and kept it clean :D

And I thought I saw a Viper in that 1st post. I've driven several and even had one on order in yellow but things didn't work out. Luckily, I had a buddy in the right place and didn't have to put any money down to get on the waiting list when they first came out. He knew they weren't going to be a hard sell so he put it through. He was great at ordering 'performance' trucks way before the present crop of performance vehicles came out that he knew would sell quickly. A hot rodder in the new vehicle grinder mill wasn't all too common back then.

Welcome aboard from NJ. Thanks for the story and for "raising the boys right!" Best of luck with your toys!
:thumbsup:

Welcome sir! We all have a similar story, and a deep appreciation for all things mopar

Welcome from Missouri!!

Auto Transport Service
Back