• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New work bench

Islandkent

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:03 AM
Reaction score
Good morning fellas.
I thought I'd upgrade my old tool bench I built when I was 15 years old. Almost 40 years ago. I built it out of rough lumber and she was a bear. Very solid and never had any problems setting a small block and 904 on her with no issues. (together)
Well a week ago or so went down to our only Home Depot and picked up a couple of those cheap 52" 9 drawer Huskey roller chest. Anyway picked up the lumber and paint over the last week. Yesterday was my first day off. So I decided to tackle the build. Started around 8am Friday morning. Picked away at all day yesterday and the wife went to work last night so I thought I might as well pull a all nighter. Was taking the paper and tape off just as she was getting home from her 12 hour shift.
Here are a few pictures over the last 22 hours.

I'll start with the old one heading out to pasture. Still a great bench but nobody would ever want it these days. Then the ones of the new one from start to finish. Hope there not to many pics.
Enjoy I hope.

old bench.JPG new bench 2.JPG new bench 3.JPG new bench 4.JPG

Part two. Wasn't sure how many pics I could post at once so here's the rest of my build.

new bench 5.JPG new bench 6.JPG new bench 7.JPG new bench 8.JPG

Looks good . What did you use for the top ?

Wow - looks like an awesome bench with lots of room for tools and materials. Well done!!!

My workbench is a pre-made leftover from a video business that I repurposed probably 25 years ago, so it is hardly as nice or useful as yours. However, one of the things I added to my workbench was a stainless steel top. It was on sale at Sears 7 or 8 years ago and was the exact size I needed: 2' x 8'. It has been a great addition. Spills wipe up easily, it is durable, etc. Just something to consider if you get the funds and time.

Either way, nice job and enjoy!

Hawk

3/4" ply but plan on 18-16 gauge steel bent up for the top after the new year.

Looks great, I see you have the same problem I do. Everytime I have a nice bench it gets covered with tools and equipment! 440'

Yes, they do have a collection problem !

Thanks Darter and Hawk! Getting to old for these all nighters. I have a few more left in me once the Charger finally make's it's way home???
Stainless would be sweet but out of the budget. Everybody around here seems to have great luck with steel. But for now I'll just put down cardboard to work on. And if things get dirty I'll use one of my few old cookie sheets. They work great to keep the mess controlled.

Last edited:
I hear you 440Coronet500.
I have to find a new place to store my whole 8.75 rear assembly.

Yep, cardboard is on mine.Soaks up oil and whatever else.
Change to a fresh sheet once in awhile.

It does work great doesn't it? That's really all I ever used counting the cookie sheets. But with this fancy final bench she's getting the steel! 10-4?

Steel clad is the way to go. I use mine mainly for welding and fabrication work. 440'

3/4" ply but plan on 18-16 gauge steel bent up for the top after the new year.
I recommend 16 GA carbon steel. I have built 4 benches with steel tops. Have the front and rear edges bent at 90* up and down. Also consider using 2x3 or 2x4s on edge, solid and clamped together with recessed all thread rod, then trim exposed edges with 1x4 board. Almost indestructible!
Mike

Advertise that old bench with a crazy price tag and I guaranty someone will buy it, clearcoat it and use it as a kitchen island !!

About two years ago I went through my garage and did the same thing. When it's time, It's time.
I do like the idea of a stainless top because of the cleanup. A nice solid workbench makes things
easier to work on, and you can keep from cluttering up the top with crap, it'll be great! Nice bench!

Let's see some pix of your ride. Excellent workbench.

Thanks for all the nice comments fellas!
My ride is in about 3-4000 pieces at the moment. It's been in "Paint Shop Jail" since 2017. It's been painted since July 8,2020. He has a few small touch ups he has to do to the doors. But here's a picture of her on the rotisserie with the wheel on fender stands just to see what she might look like some year. lol
It's the same picture in my avatar.

Soon!.JPG

Wayne you work like my wife, but she knows where everything is. Don't dare organize it to make any sense to me.

Auto Transport Service
Back