• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New work bench

All covered up to prevent any overspray. Just as pretty as the day we painted it. Ok a little more dust. certainly helped with this project for sure. The man was always stood in a comfortable position the whole time he worked on her. Well worth the investment! Thanks Stan!
Storage mode.

storage mode.JPG

Last edited:
I built this out of old barn wood a few years ago, thought I'd make sure I have plenty of storage.... Now I can't remember which of the 32 drawers has what in it!!!

Love the bench:thumbsup:. That was my original thought... buy toolboxes then build around them until I saw the prices:eek:.

20190102_202227.jpg

Great looking bench! Hard to beat the old lumber. But by the looks of it you do have quite a investment there. Didn't build that with a chainsaw and a hatchet. lol
Any more pictures of that beauty 747? What are the dimensions? Please post a few more.

Ok since this thread came back up, I might as well post a update. No steel top as of yet but I did manage to paint(marine industrial) the worksurface. I figure it would help with any oil clean up. Then I permanently mounted a 12 outlet power bar on the back splash. And I figured what the heck. I might as well add some air. So I piped in air quick connects at each end of the bench. Always wanted a blow gun at the bench so I figured why not two? I really do like them. One at each end for the mill and the lathe. Very handy. Nice for the die grinder also. I got a real nice coiled hose from Coilhose Pneumatics just to give it a try. Second one is on order. Love it! No not the yellow one! The other end. lol And to top off the update, I ran a piece of rubber carpet runner for the worksurface. Seems to be working out nicely. I like it. Even when I do get the steel plate there I'm going to keep the rubber.
Here it is in its final state as far as I can tell.

0000bench.JPG

Last edited:
Has any one purchased the premade one from HF for around $120?? I have seen it at Rural King for $99.... Anyone using it?/ Looks OK to me

Has any one purchased the premade one from HF for around $120?? I have seen it at Rural King for $99.... Anyone using it?/ Looks OK to me
Which one Joe? The one with the single drawer and the two cupboard doors? With the wooden worktop? If that's the one I checked one out similar to those at Home Depot. I was thinking on putting it underneath my lathe and using it for tool storage but I found a better use for that prime real estate. The ones at HD are not a bad box/workbench.

Yep Wayne they certainly are related. Those old Atlas/Craftsman lathes are super for the money. They certainly come in handy when playing with old cars and bikes. The mill doesn't hurt either. You know the old saying eh? When you need a lathe you need a lathe. lol
The one I have is a 1936 12x42 but I can only turn like 24 between centers. I have done a ton of work to her. I love tinkering on these old machines. I have upgraded the change gears. I've added power cross feed hence the different colored carriage. Added the guards to give it that complete look. Not to mention all the tooling. $$$ off of e-bay. Little Machine shop out of Cali comes in handy. Best prices on that kind of tooling and the like. Blows Busy Bee out of the water.
I had some wood and paint left over from the bench build so I thought I would build a couple of shelves , tool holder and a backsplash for her. Like I said in my earlier post I was going to add a box under the lathe but that space come in handy to store a few bench tools. Easy to get at.
Anyway here's a shot of her.

lathe 1.JPG new chip pan.JPG

Which one Joe? The one with the single drawer and the two cupboard doors? With the wooden worktop? If that's the one I checked one out similar to those at Home Depot. I was thinking on putting it underneath my lathe and using it for tool storage but I found a better use for that prime real estate. The ones at HD are not a bad box/workbench.

Dayum, ya went and got technical on me...LOL.. They are the only wood ones I see at HF, never have seen one at Depot.. Like I said they sell them at Rural King too.. They seem pretty solid to me, nothing special but a deal with the cost of lumber what it is....

Auto Transport Service
Back