• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie in Oregon with ‘68 Coronet R/T

piver

Local time
11:38 PM
Reaction score
Hi FBBO Folks! Great to be here. Have had this ‘68 Coronet R/T for about a year, and getting down to doing some work on it now. All numbers matching and runs ok now as a daily driver, but could use some refreshing and I want to keep everything as original as possible (except maybe a little attitude in the wheels). Along with cleaning and tuning engine components, having 727 rebuilt and a LSD installed (wasn’t optioned with Sure-Grip), and may go to 3.55 gears. Running a bit hot in traffic etc., so having radiator re-cored and finding a shroud to put with it. Fuel gauge suddenly went to perennially plumb empty, so finding a correct Carter mechanical pump and want to find a decent gauge sending unit.

Owning a classic Mopar has been a life-long dream, but not an expert and new to forum culture. Apologies in advance for any fouls committed, but will always strive to be respectful and with best intentions. Will likely be a pain-in-the-butt with many questions, but ask for your patience and invaluable wisdom.

Thanks!
Pete
1690665514338.jpeg

Nice looking car. If you want your fuel gauge to read correctly, have the original sending unit rebuilt. There isn't a single sending unit reproduced nowadays that will read correctly on the gauge.

Nice looking car. If you want your fuel gauge to read correctly, have the original sending unit rebuilt. There isn't a single sending unit reproduced nowadays that will read correctly on the gauge.
That seems to be the case about repro sending units not reading. Problem is, my car came with one of those repro units. I don’t want to buy another repro only to still not see it correctly read, so sounds like I should look for an OE sending unit. Any ideas where to find an original? Thanks.

That seems to be the case about repro sending units not reading. Problem is, my car came with one of those repro units. I don’t want to buy another repro only to still not see it correctly read, so sounds like I should look for an OE sending unit. Any ideas where to find an original? Thanks.
I don't, but if you start a "wanted" thread on here, someone may have one. You can get your repopped one to read somewhat better by bending the tube till the sock touches the bottom of the tank. And then bending the float arm tighter. This will usually get the gauge to get closer to full. Takes a bit of experimenting however.

Welcome @piver from across the river. If you haven't already, you might want to check out the Beaches restaurant cruise-in at Portland International Raceway (PIR) on Wednesday nights. 5 bucks a head to enter and you can check out the cars, buy food and drink, and watch the drags. There's also Alderbrook Park near me in Hockinson, WA on Friday nights for 10 bucks a carload.

Love your Coronet! Hope to see it around.

Welcome from NY. Listening to the little you shared, you’re no doubt in the right place. I think you’re gonna love it around here.

Welcome @piver from across the river. If you haven't already, you might want to check out the Beaches restaurant cruise-in at Portland International Raceway (PIR) on Wednesday nights. 5 bucks a head to enter and you can check out the cars, buy food and drink, and watch the drags. There's also Alderbrook Park near me in Hockinson, WA on Friday nights for 10 bucks a carload.

Love your Coronet! Hope to see it around.
Great to have you not far @SlingLow - could use kindred souls around here :) Thanks for the events info - will be out there in August as soon as the car is reassembled (trans) and I can make the improvements on cooling etc.

Nice 68, welcome to the site.

I don't, but if you start a "wanted" thread on here, someone may have one. You can get your repopped one to read somewhat better by bending the tube till the sock touches the bottom of the tank. And then bending the float arm tighter. This will usually get the gauge to get closer to full. Takes a bit of experimenting however.
Posted in WTB. Thanks so much for your advice too. Fuel level on dash gauge is buried in plumb zero, so not sure if jiggering current sending unit will help. But, will keep your tips in mind.

Congrats on acquiring a very nice R/T Pete! Sounds like you're on a steep learning curve right now so you may become an expert before you know it. Welcome aboard!!

Congrats on acquiring a very nice R/T Pete! Sounds like you're on a steep learning curve right now so you may become an expert before you know it. Welcome aboard!!
Thanks for the warm welcome @65Bel! Indeed, on a steep learning curve. Not enough hours in a day. But, the education and camaraderie motivate me.

Welcome from NM. Nice looking '68 R/T. You have the right car and are on the right site for it.

Welcome from NM. Nice looking '68 R/T. You have the right car and are on the right site for it.
Thanks @4speed68rt. Can’t believe I didn’t get on this Forum earlier, but just glad I’m here now. One good thing about dreaming of a Mopar for over 30 years is that I think my tastes evolved and landed on the model that I love the most. Would just be nice if it were a 4-speed, but can’t complain.

Welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Auto Transport Service
Back