• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Owner

Was a 440 HP based on the VIN but it didn't come with the original engine so my brother has a 383 that I'm gonna rebuild to put in. Has a 727 trans and 8 3/4 rear. Unfortunately the interior is disassembled so thats one of the things that i will have to put together.

"L" VIN 67 Chargers are quite rare and somewhat valuable. Value has increased of late.

The "good" news is that if you can source a 440 with an early 1967 or late 66 casting date (appropriate for the build date of the car), then you basically have the "matching numbers" engine.

Welcome! Nice car!!
If I had any words of wisdom it would be find a 67 440 for it and put the badges back on!! One of 660 or so, verrry rare car! :thumbsup:

I thought about it but my brother was saying (he knows a lot more than about this stuff) that 440s had a bad casting. Would that cause any problems if I did get another 440?

I thought about it but my brother was saying (he knows a lot more than about this stuff) that 440s had a bad casting. Would that cause any problems if I did get another 440?
The first I have heard of that. I think any bad casting never made it into production. Any 67 cast 440 that you find that's made it 55 years I doubt had a casting problem. Through checking needs to be done before you spend money on it, just as any engine block.

The first I have heard of that. I think any bad casting never made it into production. Any 67 cast 440 that you find that's made it 55 years I doubt had a casting problem. Through checking needs to be done before you spend money on it, just as any engine block.

So apparently I remembered wrong. The problem I heard was that they were bored without a torque plate and it caused issues when you reached certain HP numbers. Also, my brother wants me to state that he didn't say it but we heard it from am engine builder that he bought a transmission from.

So apparently I remembered wrong. The problem I heard was that they were bored without a torque plate and it caused issues when you reached certain HP numbers. Also, my brother wants me to state that he didn't say it but we heard it from am engine builder that he bought a transmission from.
Personally I prefer 66-67 cast blocks, mainly because I like 66-67 B bodies the most. Sure 55 year old blocks can be bad (used up), but I would have any block cleaned, magnafluxed, and cylinder wall thickness measured before using.

To put it in proper perspective; all of that information about 440s is completely wrong.
Sounds like some **** an old 350 chevy lover would say.

Whereabouts in Idaho? I know where there is a very nice 67 C440HP in saskatchewan...

To put it in proper perspective; all of that information about 440s is completely wrong.
Sounds like some **** an old 350 chevy lover would say.

Whereabouts in Idaho? I know where there is a very nice 67 C440HP in saskatchewan...

Idaho Falls, but we're still in the process of moving so I don't have alot of extra money or time right now. What are they asking for the engine if you know?

Ahh I see you're down near the bottom. I have come up from Sheridan through Malta, it's a fair bit of a drive!
I think he wants 1200. It would have to be gone through.

Ahh I see you're down near the bottom. I have come up from Sheridan through Malta, it's a fair bit of a drive!
I think he wants 1200. It would have to be gone through.

That's not as bad as I was fearing. And unfortunately for my wallet I may try for that. Would you be willing to give me their contact information if you have it?

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. That looks like a nice Charger project. As others have said, you need to find a 440 for it. I could never understand why Dodge did not make an R/T package with appropriate signage for these cars as they did the next year. I have a 1967 Coronet R/T.

That's not as bad as I was fearing. And unfortunately for my wallet I may try for that. Would you be willing to give me their contact information if you have it?
Sure. @440 4 speed . He's got a few of those cars. :D

It would be really interesting if we could see the fender tag..........?

Send your tittle/ proof of ownership, to the Chrysler Historical Society.
They will send you the information on your car, selling area, build number’s etc.
From that, you will be able to get IBM punch cards made. There are people making repo fender tags.
There were 528 67 L auto Chargers made. 132 4 speeds. There are a lot of 440’s still around. Pretty high survival rate % wise.
Welcome.

Send your tittle/ proof of ownership, to the Chrysler Historical Society.
They will send you the information on your car, selling area, build number’s etc.
From that, you will be able to get IBM punch cards made. There are people making repo fender tags.
There were 528 67 L auto Chargers made. 132 4 speeds. There are a lot of 440’s still around. Pretty high survival rate % wise.
Welcome.

Thanks, I didn't know you could do that. I will definitely do that once I get the time to.

Lol. As said above, this is all total bs. DO NOT take anything to this guy for any work. Lol. Torqueplate honing was brought into mass production engines in the 90s and is prevalent today especially in High Performance and racing engines.
440 engines are battleships, used in trucks and huge Chrysler full sized vehicles as the workhorse providing torque and power to spare. They were used in the muscle cars in a hotter version because of their hp production with minor tweaks.
I, too, have a 67 440 complete engine. You would be doing yourself and the car a great injustice if you don't attempt to put the proper engine back in it at some point. Easier to start with a 440 so all the brackets and accessories are purchased once.
Oh, and welcome from OH.

Auto Transport Service
Back