• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie with a 66 Coronet 500 with a 440

dbowman1116

Local time
7:58 AM
Reaction score
I tried searching through all the forums before posting so please don't roast me! This is my first car and my son and I are attempting to redo it. I am not a purist (not really a mopar guy, but my son is so....you get it I am sure). I do respect and want to keep as much original as I can, but I do like some modern upgrades. Here's my issue, question, predicament, etc.

Motor is the 440 (not exactly sure of the year as it isn't original) - good compression, no leaks and "works great" - fresh tune up all around
Rebuild 727 Torqueflight transmission about 1 month ago
New carb - Quick Fuel 750 CFM, 4 barrell, electronic choke, dual inlet - still get a very slight diesel when shutting off after long drives
Rear end is 3.55 as best as I can tell from the various calculators
Big cam I believe...so I am told. really throaty and has a heavy chop...sounds awesome, but not sure specs

I read how that motor should be a torque monster. It definitely won't spin the tires unless I power brake. Nice kickdown when merging on the highway. I don't need a drag racer, but I do like torque. Not a daily driver, but I do take it out 2-3 days a week and let my son drive it to school every so often. Any advice would be great. Apologies for the ignorance!

A few pics of our progress!

IMG-0293.jpg

IMG-0297.jpg

IMG-0298.jpg

IMG-0398.jpg

IMG-0435.jpg

IMG-4737.jpg

Coronet Exterior.jpg

Coronet Interior.jpeg

IMG-0289.jpg

Welcome to FBBO from SoCal! I really like the color combo.
The 440 is usually a torque monster, but I'm wondering if you may have a mismatched setup in the engine. You didn't mention what your compression ratio is. A big cam and low compression are not compatible since the cam may be bleeding off some additional compression.
Lot's of good technical people here to help get you where both you and your son want to be but they'll need more information on the engine internals and build.

Last edited:
Welcome from Alabama, nice 66 Coronet. Looks like you diverted all that torque into the sound system.:lol:
Seriously, where are you at on your engine timing?

Welcome to FBBO from SoCal! I really like the color combo.
The 440 is usually a torque monster, but I'm wondering if you may have a mismatched setup in the engine. You didn't mention what your compression ratio is. A big cam and low compression are not compatible since the cam may be bleeding off some additional compression.
Lot's of good technical people here to help get you where both you and your son want to be but they'll need more information on the engine internals and build.
Thanks. Understand. I will reach out to the guy who did the engine work to see if he remembers. I know compression ratio was tested.

Welcome from Alabama, nice 66 Coronet. Looks like you diverted all that torque into the sound system.:lol:
Seriously, where are you at on your engine timing?
I don't knew the actual setting, but will check with the guys who did the engine work. Not my forte here so I wanted someone to help here.

Yes - I am a sound guy. I left the subs off!. I will redo the kick panels at some point so they look more integrated.

Welcome from the former home state of your new neighbors. Your torque converter and rear gears need to matchup with the engine combo too. Too tight of a converter and/or not enough gear for the combo will make it a pooch.

Sounds like maybe the cam is too big, you can try advancing the cam 4 degrees -

Also - does it have a 12inch or 11inch converter?

You say new trans? What was wrong with the old one? Does it have a manual valve body? Is the throttle pressure linkage adjusted correctly? Is the linkage keeping the carb from opening all the way? Is the throttle cable adjusted correctly?

A low compression engine (if it is) can be made to run pretty good. Done a few myself.....and testing for compression ratio probably means a compression PSI test? Even that will help tell us what it's doing. And for the dieseling on shut down.....turn it off while the trans is in gear. Won't hurt a thing and will most always stop the engine in it's tracks. Been there done that too lol

and as cranky said also let it idle a few minutes before you shut down burns up excess fuel and fumes if running a little rich

Dieseling is usually too much air, ie , improperly tuned carb with the idle cranked up too high " so it runs".

Welcome to the site! I always loved those Coronets. Looks like a nice, original rust free car. Nice color combo too. Yes, you have a lot of checking to do. Good luck!

Step one. What is the cylinder pressure in each cylinder. Pull the plugs and take a picture.

Report back, then we can go from there.

Talking cams, converters and gears is the cart way before the horse.

Step one. What is the cylinder pressure in each cylinder. Pull the plugs and take a picture.

Report back, then we can go from there.

Talking cams, converters and gears is the cart way before the horse.
Will start looking into this stuff over the next couple of days. Thanks so much.

Welcome to FBBO from NY. Nice looking Coronet. Keep us posted with your progress!

Auto Transport Service
Back