• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newer Direct Connection Distributors - Mechanical Advance Limiter

Where the tabs end up will differ for your specific needs. Make your adjustment, put the timing light on it, check the full curve and re-adjust if needed (I like to use small drill bits to hold the plate in place while tightening the screws).

Bean,
Do you have any info on how much total mechanical advance the Direct Connection
distributors will add if the 2 metal tabs are completely closed ( as in the picture in post # 17 above ). Thanks. RR

This is probably old news to everyone except me. I bought a new DC distributor last year & I finally am working on my timing & fuel curves. I bought a FBO mechanical advance limiter plate, but when I gutted my distributor, I found that this newer one has that feature already built in. Great engineering Ma' Mopar!

View attachment 338453
Beeper,
Are you still using the DC distributor? I have been but have been having issues at
full advance. Thought initially it might be balancer or timing chain issue. But in
the new Mopar Action article on distributor advance they pretty much consigned the
distributor to the trash. According to them the wieghts and springs are way too
light which causes "spark scatter" at full advance. Which, I must say, sounds exactly
like the problem I'm having. Apparently there is no adequate fix for the problem.
Have you been having any of the same issues.

Thanks. RR

Bean,
Do you have any info on how much total mechanical advance the Direct Connection
distributors will add if the 2 metal tabs are completely closed ( as in the picture in post # 17 above ). Thanks. RR
Wow sorry Ratroaster I don't know how I missed your question to me, 3 months ago! Lol!
In the picture in post 17, the slots are actually at full open, not closed...I don't know the max amount of swing these have but it's quite a bit. With it set for full advance you'd likely have to keep the initial timing pretty low to stay out of trouble. My current curve gives 12° of mechanical advance, and the slots are open right around .125" but I don't remember the exact measurement.

This is probably old news to everyone except me. I bought a new DC distributor last year & I finally am working on my timing & fuel curves. I bought a FBO mechanical advance limiter plate, but when I gutted my distributor, I found that this newer one has that feature already built in. Great engineering Ma' Mopar!

View attachment 338453

Been that way since the late 90's, Mallory started making them for Mopar.... Just be aware that design can come loose and suddenly add a whole bunch of timing... Once you get the curve dialed in it's not a bad idea to add a tack weld to the advance limiters so they can't move..

Wow sorry Ratroaster I don't know how I missed your question to me, 3 months ago! Lol!
In the picture in post 17, the slots are actually at full open, not closed...I don't know the max amount of swing these have but it's quite a bit. With it set for full advance you'd likely have to keep the initial timing pretty low to stay out of trouble. My current curve gives 12° of mechanical advance, and the slots are open right around .125" but I don't remember the exact measurement.

Bean,
Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming full open on the slots is maximum advance and vice a versa closed. So if yours is open an 1/8 for 12, I'd need the slot open just a bit more for 15/ 16. My problem is that the cam in the car is a long duration ( 300d )
and 106 LSA so I have to run a lot of initial timing. As a result, I can only use about
16 deg. of mechanical advance or I get into detenation area. I suppose if I could find
one of those advance kits with the various plastic gauges that would help. Still
though I may look another distributor and avoid the apparent spark scatter problem.

Thanks again. RR

Gauges available at Summit per their own PN ( not in stock per Mallory kit pn 29014 )

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850535-1

And just in case, this is the instructions sheet, since per coments on Summit website, kit doesn't come anymore with instructions sheet ?

https://documents.holley.com/mallory_instructions_yh_series_mechanical_advance_kit_29014.pdf

Need to say MP kit ( can't recall the PN of the MP ) came with couple of springs more than the Mallory kit. And it seems the Summit kit cames with even less springs than the Mallory

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/maa-29014?retaillocation=int

Last edited:
Gauges available at Summit per their own PN ( not in stock per Mallory kit pn 29014 )

And just in case, this is the instructions sheet, since per coments on Summit website, kit doesn't come anymore with instructions sheet ?

https://documents.holley.com/mallory_instructions_yh_series_mechanical_advance_kit_29014.pdf

Need to say MP kit ( can't recall the PN of the MP ) came with couple of springs more than the Mallory kit. And it seems the Summit kit cames with even less springs than the Mallory

Nacho, Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.In looking at the instructions, fig.#4,
it appears the settings are opposite of what I imagined. If I'm seeing them right, the
least amount of advance would be with the slots fully open. Is that your take on it as
well?
Thanks again. RR

Nacho, Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated.In looking at the instructions, fig.#4,
it appears the settings are opposite of what I imagined. If I'm seeing them right, the
least amount of advance would be with the slots fully open. Is that your take on it as
well?
Thanks again. RR

well?
Thanks again. RR
No, it's just not real clear on those instructions. When you look down at your distributor, sliding the tabs one way exposes the hole that you see back in post #1, as well as your pic in #17---those are open, and give more advance. When you move the tabs the other way you'll see the plate right there underneath, it'll make itself obvious.

No, it's just not real clear on those instructions. When you look down at your distributor, sliding the tabs one way exposes the hole that you see back in post #1, as well as your pic in #17---those are open, and give more advance. When you move the tabs the other way you'll see the plate right there underneath, it'll make itself obvious.

That's what I originally thought, and I adjusted mine with the tab partially closed but the illustrations in the instructions threw me a curve. If I remember correctly I think
I ended up with somewhere in 1/8"+ amount of open slot showing.

Thanks. RR

Bean, So let me see if I've got this right. If the slots a fully open ( full hole showing )
that would be max advance. Conversely, if the are fully closed ( no hole visible ) then
that is the minimum advance setting. Do I finally have that right.

Thanks. RR

Bean, So let me see if I've got this right. If the slots a fully open ( full hole showing )
that would be max advance. Conversely, if the are fully closed ( no hole visible ) then
that is the minimum advance setting. Do I finally have that right.

Thanks. RR

Yes..

Outstanding. Now if I can keep this info somewhere I won't forget it. Maybe I'll
be able to keep the '63 in tune. Have you ever tried the Summit gauge kit or have
you always been winging it with drill bits. I notice the one tine I did try to adjust mine
I felt it would have been better if I had three sets of hands.

Thanks for all the help. RR

I've used the old Mallory timing keys, they are easy to use... I'm assuming the Summit keys are pretty much the same.... The key is the width of the slot, you slide it in & it stays put, you swing the adjustable lock up to the key & tighten the lock screw.... Pull the key & reassemble the distributor...

Auto Transport Service
Back