• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next step in quarter glass replacement?

belvy1

Local time
12:49 PM
Reaction score
Well, I finally got the glass and frame out of the belvedere, but not sure about the process needed to remove the glass from the frame. Looks like the weather stripping retainer is actually riveted together (see pics). Does the glass "slide" out of the groove in the frame, or does it pull out? Any help is appreciated.

Also looking to replace the weather stripping (tore while removing window :cwm21:) Anyone know of a good source?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20140901_123411_734.jpg
    IMG_20140901_123411_734.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_20140901_123429_407.jpg
    IMG_20140901_123429_407.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_20140901_123404_485.jpg
    IMG_20140901_123404_485.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 299
You might check a glass installer. It might be worth it to let a pro remove it. I've had a bunch of '66 - '67 B-body cars over the years, but I've never had to remove a quarter glass from the track.

Agreed....that was my next step I f I couldn't get any good direction. Just not sure of a place that is experienced with older vehicles in my area.

You might check a glass installer. It might be worth it to let a pro remove it. I've had a bunch of '66 - '67 B-body cars over the years, but I've never had to remove a quarter glass from the track.

That glass isn't held in there with anything more than an adhesive from the factory. If you barely pull/pry very lightly on the back edge of the weatherstrip channel, away from the glass, you'll probably notice it separates with a very small amount of force. A bit of wiggle/jiggle, you should be able to work the window back and up out of the channel. Those rivets do not go through any glass. I would heat up the channel and the frame where the glass sits, with a heat gun or hair dryer and give it a go from there. Be real careful applying pressure against the channel....Too much and the metal on the channel will snap at or just below the top rivet.

Good luck.

different need but i really needed to see the pics of the rear quarter glass as i am trying to replace all the rollers

Sounds like a plan. I haven't tried anything yet....was waiting for some experienced input. I will give that a try tomorrow and see what happens. I'm assuming I'll have to use some type of adhesive when I install the new glass to the frame. Any suggestions?

That glass isn't held in there with anything more than an adhesive from the factory. If you barely pull/pry very lightly on the back edge of the weatherstrip channel, away from the glass, you'll probably notice it separates with a very small amount of force. A bit of wiggle/jiggle, you should be able to work the window back and up out of the channel. Those rivets do not go through any glass. I would heat up the channel and the frame where the glass sits, with a heat gun or hair dryer and give it a go from there. Be real careful applying pressure against the channel....Too much and the metal on the channel will snap at or just below the top rivet.

Good luck.

Do you mean pics of the rear "of" the quarter glass?

different need but i really needed to see the pics of the rear quarter glass as i am trying to replace all the rollers

Well. finally managed to get the glass removed from the frame....took it to a auto glass place and it too 3 of us about 1/2 hour to get it loose. Finally used a torch on it after beating on it for a while and that did the trick. Installed the new glass in the frame, now to get it back in the car. Should be interesting. Thanks for the help everyone!

Auto Transport Service
Back