• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nippondenso alternator fitment ?

rustytoolss

Local time
1:25 AM
Reaction score
I want to install a alternator that puts out more AMPs that my stock round back 45-60 AMP. Was thinking of a 1988-89 Chrysler 5th Ave Nippondenso 90-120 AMP. My engine is a 1962 poly 318, planning to install AC . Will the NIPP alternator fit in the stock location/ what modications will need to be done to make it fit ? Not looking for a major modification swap. Thanks

Have you considered a Denso? You only need to add a signal wire directly to battery. I can't confirm fitment on the poly but it fit right on my 440 with some spacers. It is also internally regulated so the VR box on the firewall can be eliminated or bypassed.
20210104_110843.jpg

20210104_160041.jpg

Last edited:
Why do you need an alternator that puts out that much for?

Vintage Air said I should have 80-100 Amps. I would think that if an 87 Chrysler 5th Ave could get by with a 60 AMP...I should be able also. I'm still using a clutch fan also.

Vintage Air said I should have 80-100 Amps. I would think that if an 87 Chrysler 5th Ave could get by with a 60 AMP...I should be able also. I'm still using a clutch fan also.
Out of curiosity, WHY does Vintage Air say you need a 80-100 amp alternator? Especially if you are still using the clutch cooling fan as Mopar has used....the only electrical load is the A/C compressor's clutch coil, which is typically 5 amps or less. The Mopar alternator can be simply up graded to provide 55-60 amps in lieu of the 37-42 standard output. BUT.....if you decide to use a 80-100 amp alternator, you will be besieged with opinions on the "BEST" way to proceed, including the elimination of the controversial Mopar amp meter. Your car....your choice......
BOB RENTON

I also don't see the reason for 80-100 amps. Think a 60 AMP will be fine. I have already bypassed the AMP meter. I have seen that some chrysler cars came with a 78 AMP unit ? but not sure what they were. And if the used an external regulator ??

You don't need 80-100 amps. Use a single wire alternator to the starter relay. This will take the load off of the rest of the system and going through the firewall. I put a Powermaster, or equivalent, on mine(with A/C), looks original, and is more than enough for A/C.

#5 Rod Top Front(1).jpg

It's a single wire, from the alternator, to the starter relay. A member "Crackedback" makes those and a headlight harness that takes the load off of the whole system, so that all the current isn't going through the bulkhead, through the ammeter and back out again. He's been on here for a while and is a well known here. That's the weakness in these old cars. Just wire it up, fire it up, done. Attached is a picture for his relay/headlight harness I have on mine. I put the relays under my battery tray, on the arm, hidden but they work flawlessly. You don't need a high amp alternator IMO.

20170204_161846.jpg

20180413_175935.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back