• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No bypass oil system

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
Is it safe for the oil filter to run a no bypass oiling system with a high pressure high volume big block pump?

Is it safe for the oil filter to run a no bypass oiling system with a high pressure high volume big block pump?
It is a risk to run without a by-pass. How much of a risk is dependent on your oiling system specific variables and the filter you’re using.

WHY would you want to? Flow, combined with pressure loss is dependent on the filter media which is typically 20-30 microns at design flow of 20 gallons/minute. As the media becones dirtier, the pressure loss increases. In a PARTIAL FLOW filtration system (old Plymouth flat head engines) the filtration rate was higher...2-4 microns....but the volume substantially less, approximately 1 gallon/minute or less....just my opinion of course...
BOB RENTON

WHY would you want to? Flow, combined with pressure loss is dependent on the filter media which is typically 20-30 microns at design flow of 20 gallons/minute. As the media becones dirtier, the pressure loss increases. In a PARTIAL FLOW filtration system (old Plymouth flat head engines) the filtration rate was higher...2-4 microns....but the volume substantially less, approximately 1 gallon/minute or less....just my opinion of course...
BOB RENTON
Doesn't the oil bypass the filter on a cold start engine?

I'm thinking a no bypass system will blow out the filter gasket.....?
Individual oil filters contain a "bypass" valve, which is in essence, a high pressure relief valve that opens, by passing the filtration media, with philosophy that dirty oil flow is better than no oil flow. Because the oil pump is a positive displacement design, be it a gear pump, epitrochoid pump, or vane pump it requires a high pressure relief valve (different from the bypass valve in the filter) if the output of a positive displacement pump is blocked it's possible that the pump drive mechanism will fail. If an oil filter is plugged or restricted, beside having zero or reduced oil flow to the engine, without a bypass valve, the gasket or canister could rupture.....
BOB RENTON

Lemme guess....you watched that 'uncle Tony' video!
If you don't have a filter bypass and the filter gets good n' dirty, or gets plugged by some crazy happenstance, it will become a restriction and you run the risk of oil starvation or it might even blow like RJ stated. The guys that run the no-byapss "race" filters do so because they typically change the oil/filter after every race/run/heat/whatever. On a street-driven ride, there is no downside to a filter with bypass.

If you don't have a filter bypass and the filter gets good n' dirty, or gets plugged by some crazy happenstance, it will become a restriction and you run the risk of oil starvation or it might even blow like RJ stated. The guys that run the no-byapss "race" filters do so because they typically change the oil/filter after every race/run/heat/whatever. On a street-driven ride, there is no downside to a filter with bypass.
Thanks fellas. And yes I although I have been thinking about this for a long time. watched utg LOL

ya that video sounded like bs to me. the filter should always be filtering the oil unless it gets plugged but if it bypasses for any reason, all the dirt will go with it and to do that "most the time" just doesnt jive with me

No disrespect intended.....but.....my personal feelings about "Uncle Tony" (whoever that is or whatever is his qualifications are), I do not believe in anything he professes......it seems like he speaks volumes about nothing only his opinion......
BOB RENTON

ya that video sounded like bs to me. the filter should always be filtering the oil unless it gets plugged but if it bypasses for any reason, all the dirt will go with it and to do that "most the time" just doesnt jive with me
I agree. I wish it were otherwise, it just seems like a better setup if it's always being filtered

Where are you going to get a no bypass filter from?

The only one I ever used was made by a company called Jomar. They no longer carry them as their supplier went bye bye.

Last edited:
No disrespect intended.....but.....my personal feelings about "Uncle Tony" (whoever that is or whatever is his qualifications are), I do not believe in anything he professes......it seems like he speaks volumes about nothing only his opinion......
BOB RENTON
The RED X person is, or is related to "Uncle Tony".......perhaps you can relate or explain his position. Maybe "Uncle Tony" is related to 4th cousin, Waldo Bummephuche, who always had something to say......
BOB RENTON

The RED X person is, or is related to "Uncle Tony".......perhaps you can relate or explain his position. Maybe "Uncle Tony" is related to 4th cousin, Waldo Bummephuche, who always had something to say......
BOB RENTON
That was my fat finger.
I don't recall red xing anyone on purpose, especially in this regard to UTG.

It would be nice to have the bypassed oil filtered. I'm sure it's possible to run 2 parallel filters that would double the flow capacity before it pukes unfiltered oil back into the engine.

Where are you going to get a no bypass filter from?

The only one I ever used was made by a company called Jomar. They no longer carry them as their supplier went bye bye.
Moroso filters have no bypass with great flow abilities.Fram racing filters have a bypass and only flow like 12 GPM.The only bypass in big blocks is in the filter,I never heard of another.

Auto Transport Service
Back