• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

505 stroker question

furyus

Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
So, when I primed the oiling system, I saw plenty of oil on the driver's side. About half of that on the passenger side. Yes, I rotated the engine.
My question is, does a big block have a pipe plug in a weird place like the small block that has a plug in the distributor bore?

So, when I primed the oiling system, I saw plenty of oil on the driver's side. About half of that on the passenger side. Yes, I rotated the engine.
My question is, does a big block have a pipe plug in a weird place like the small block that has a plug in the distributor bore?
No. But sometimes you have to go real slow turning the motor to get the oiling holes lined up.

The plug most likely to 'get forgot' on a BB is the one under the timing cover that points downward...but it's still not as hidden as that pesky SB plug. The others are pretty hard to miss.

The plug most likely to 'get forgot' on a BB is the one under the timing cover that points downward...but it's still not as hidden as that pesky SB plug. The others are pretty hard to miss.
Ok, but would that limit oil flow to the passenger side?

Ok, but would that limit oil flow to the passenger side?
Sorry, I only responded to the part about any "weird plugs".
A missed plug would kill flow....to both sides. You didn't miss a plug or you wouldn't have the oil you have.
Oil flows from the pump, around the front and through the PS lifter gallery which feeds the main and cam journals--that #4 cam journal feeds the rockers on both heads. I 'would think' if the cam bearing was misaligned enough to slow the oiling to one head, it would slow it to the other as well...not sure on that though.

Oiling can also be impacted by the parts you're running... some of the aftermarket rockers don't oil as 'profusely' as you might think they should, some just have machining crap in the passages (even brand new) and some heads/hardware restrict the passage at the rocker pedestal that passes oil to the shaft. I've seen where some guys used certain studs for the shafts, and the center portion of the stud all but blocked the oil from getting past it so they had to grind some flats on them to get the oil flowing.

I'd check the easy stuff first; pull the shaft on that side, make sure it's properly oriented (if applicable) and clean every passage that's intended to flow oil. If you use studs on the shafts make sure the one at that next-to-the-rear pedestal has some space around it (it doesn't need much). If all that's okay and you're confident in your pump, the cam bearing is really all that's left that could limit flow to the top. That or a crudded-up cam journal to head passage. A very outside possibility is a mis-aligned hole in the head gasket, but I've never seen that one...just trying to think of anything that would cause your issue. Best case scenario is it's not an issue at all and things are getting enough oil to live even if it's not gushing equally on both sides.

images(13).jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I only responded to the part about any "weird plugs".
A missed plug would kill flow....to both sides. You didn't miss a plug or you wouldn't have the oil you have.
Oil flows from the pump, around the front and through the PS lifter gallery which feeds the main and cam journals--that #4 cam journal feeds the rockers on both heads. I 'would think' if the cam bearing was misaligned enough to slow the oiling to one head, it would slow it to the other as well...not sure on that though.

Oiling can also be impacted by the parts you're running... some of the aftermarket rockers don't oil as 'profusely' as you might think they should, some just have machining crap in the passages (even brand new) and some heads/hardware restrict the passage at the rocker pedestal that passes oil to the shaft. I've seen where some guys used certain studs for the shafts, and the center portion of the stud all but blocked the oil from getting past it so they had to grind some flats on them to get the oil flowing.

I'd check the easy stuff first; pull the shaft on that side, make sure it's properly oriented (if applicable) and clean every passage that's intended to flow oil. If you use studs on the shafts make sure the one at that next-to-the-rear pedestal has some space around it (it doesn't need much). If all that's okay and you're confident in your pump, the cam bearing is really all that's left that could limit flow to the top. That or a crudded-up cam journal to head passage. A very outside possibility is a mis-aligned hole in the head gasket, but I've never seen that one...just trying to think of anything that would cause your issue. Best case scenario is it's not an issue at all and things are getting enough oil to live even if it's not gushing equally on both sides.

View attachment 1521181
Thanks for that. I'll double check the studs to be sure..

Another BB Stroker in our county? Cool!!
My brand new rocker shafts had about a half teaspoon of metal in them. I was told to pop the end caps, almost didn't, but, glad the extra step was taken.

Auto Transport Service
Back