• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No dash or radio for a minute after each start up.

Potts

Local time
3:23 PM
Reaction score
My cousins' 71 Road Runner, 383 auto, restored 5 years ago with new harnesses.
He lives 700 miles from me and says, all of a sudden, upon starting, it runs fine, but no dash guages, no interior lights or radio. Then after a minute or so, everything comes on and works fine. If he shuts it off, same thing after re-starting.
Does anyone know if 71 has any relays that will cause this?
It's definitely systematic, same time lapses after each start up, not intermittent.
I'm a 69 guy and if I lost dash, it was basically a fusible link, fuse or short.
Anybody experience this floating short on a 71?
Thanks
Potts

My guess would be the ignition switch. Maybe he should jiggle it and see what it does? Good luck! Mike

He lives 700 miles from me and says, all of a sudden, upon starting, it runs fine, but no dash guages, no interior lights or radio. Then after a minute or so, everything comes on and works fine. If he shuts it off, same thing after re-starting.
It's definitely systematic, same time lapses after each start up, not intermittent.
I'm a 69 guy and if I lost dash, it was basically a fusible link, fuse or short.
Thanks
Potts
Its not a short its an open circuit. Whats odd is interior lights as they should be operable all the time and have no correlation to the gauges or radio.

True, an open circuit best describes this condition.
You make a valid point.

True, an open circuit best describes this condition.
You make a valid point.
One common problem is at the ignition switch multiple pin connector at the base of the column. I would look at that connector for a burn spot.

Thanks
Potts
Another vote for ignition switch. The interior lights going away makes me curious if there is a loose ground between engine and body? Ground goes away when cranking. Just shooting ideas.

Check the bulkhead connectors, these often have intermittant issues...
Pull each apart, clean the terminals and coat with dia-electric grease..

Just my $0.02...

There are time delay relays for the door open courtesy lights .....but how the hell anyone could get that wiring all confused to work like you are telling us is beyond me.....mind you, I see all sorts of stupid at work on a regular basis.

Auto Transport Service
Back