• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Oil Pressure

Gary Lowry

Local time
4:10 AM
Reaction score
Morning everyone. Looking for the family's advice and or suggestions.
Had a thermostat malfunction last weekend and got the 440 hot. Sounded like a possible lifted noise when we got home. Drained the coolant and oil, and replaced the thermostat. Added coolant and Valvoline VR1
20w50 as always. Cranked this am and there is NO OIL PRESSURE.
Anybody got any suggestions
Thanks
Gary

Did you somehow knock off the sending wire? Check with a known good mechanical gauge, pull distributor if not wanting to crank the engine.

Last edited:
Did you leave oil filter off for a half hour or more? If so maybe pump lost it's prime.

Remove the distributor and oil pump drive, install a 5/16” hex shaft run counter clock wise with an electric drill and re-prime the oil pump.

I did indeed let the engine drain for 2 days. Thanks, thanks makes total sense, now

with it getting hot the bypass valve in the pump may have stuck open

You may need to remove the pump and put clean grease or heavy oil. You'll need the gasket that goes between pump and block, if you remove the pump. Ask me how I know, been there. You might be able to pick one up at your local parts store. Here's what it looks like with o-ring that goes on housing that seals the block. Not mine.
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/

Auto Transport Service
Back