• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No power to car period now

Dominic Torreto

Local time
7:54 AM
Reaction score
Had everything figured out on car every damn thing worked. Took it on test drive speedometer wasnt working and it used to work in 2012. No big deal because I knew how to fix it. Only problem is the voltage meter wires grounded the dash amd it smoked a ground wire. No power anywhere but to the starter. No power from the starter to the starter relay. Changed both of those and still nothing. I did run power straight to fuse box and everything worked directly. I dont know whats going on here guys please explain.

Look for something like this from the starter relay to the bulkhead

IMG_8389.jpeg

Can do a continuity test through it to verify it’s bad. Most likely it will be. Hopefully it did it’s job and protected everything else.

My question for you guys is this. Why isnt power evebln making it to the starter relay? I had my 12 volt voltage light and the power stops at the starter and doesnt even make it to the relay? The black wire from the starter has no power leaving the starter solenoid? Is there something I am missing here amd does that blue wire lead to the cab of the car?

:xscuseless:

No power to starter relay ....

* Battery completely fried
* Ground cable disconnected
* Positive cable disconnected
* Faulty voltmeter (multimeter you use to test with)
* Bad connection at starter relay
* Working on the wrong car

Maybe we need some pictures of your wiring setup. Standard is from the battery + is large wire all the way direct to starter with a branch off wire that goes to the starter relay. The blue fusible link wire goes from the starter relay to the bulkhead and is the power for the rest of the car basically. So unless your battery cable or supply cable is burned and not getting power to the relay at all the rest of the car will be dead except for power at the starter as you stated.

My question for you guys is this. Why isnt power evebln making it to the starter relay? I had my 12 volt voltage light and the power stops at the starter and doesnt even make it to the relay? The black wire from the starter has no power leaving the starter solenoid? Is there something I am missing here amd does that blue wire lead to the cab of the car?
You should have power at the starter AND the relay at the same time, it doesn't go to the starter and then to the relay.

Check your test meter out on the battery first to confirm it works.

You might have faulty leads on the meter. It happens.

Wire on solenoid only has power with key in Start position after relay closes. You might be checking for power on wrong terminal at relay.

Test light works as for power goes we took the wire from the starter to starter relay and took it from the starter relay strsight to battery and power in cab came on when we crossed both posts already. Like I said power makes it to starter light came on test light but doesnt go to the relay.

Have you read and checked everything above from what everybody has suggested so far?

Have you read and checked everything above from what everybody has suggested so far?
For the most part. I am going to clean up the power wire connection at starter. It seems from what you guÿs are saying that area is the problem. Power is making it there but not leaving starter. The replies have helped me understand how it worked. Will keep you gyys posted.

For the most part. I am going to clean up the power wire connection at starter. It seems from what you guÿs are saying that area is the problem. Power is making it there but not leaving starter. The replies have helped me understand how it worked. Will keep you gyys posted.
Just to be clear. Power doesn’t leave the starter. It always has 12v on the main wire to the battery +. There should also be 12v on the large stud of the starter relay all the time.

Just to be clear. Power doesn’t leave the starter. It always has 12v on the main wire to the battery +. There should also be 12v on the large stud of the starter relay all the time.

This…

Battery voltage is supplied to the large stud of the starter relay which is mounted on the firewall.

IMG_9785.jpeg

From there it travels through the fusible link to the bulkhead connector, through the bulkhead connector to the + terminal of ammeter.

IMG_9786.jpeg

I would check voltage at the large terminal of the starter relay, if it shows battery voltage unplug the bulkhead connector and check for voltage at the fusible link terminal. It should also show battery voltage. If not, you smoked the fusible link. If it has battery voltage at the fusible link terminal, plug the bulkhead connection back together and move to the inside of the car. Check for battery voltage at the ammeter + terminal (red wire). If it shows battery voltage, check the other ammeter terminal (black wire) which should also show battery voltage.

I suspect you have a bad fusible link, corroded / burnt bulkhead connector terminals or a failed ammeter.

Last edited:
Guys
Had everything figured out on car every damn thing worked. Took it on test drive speedometer wasnt working and it used to work in 2012. No big deal because I knew how to fix it. Only problem is the voltage meter wires grounded the dash amd it smoked a ground wire. No power anywhere but to the starter. No power from the starter to the starter relay. Changed both of those and still nothing. I did run power straight to fuse box and everything worked directly. I dont know whats going on here guys please explain.
I have found out what tge problem was and fixed it. A wire going from the battery to the starter relay was cut. I now have power in car problem solved.

Someone has chevy-ized your wiring.
There should be a large wire from the battery to the relay stud.

Auto Transport Service
Back