• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No spark…

Paul73

Local time
8:32 AM
Reaction score
Hello
Me and my dad are working on his 70 Chrysler 300 with a 440 and points ignition, our trouble is he have no spark, we put new plugs in it as well as a new coil, ballast resistor and voltage regulator. We hooked up a multi meter to it and we’re getting power from the distributor wires but when he hook up the coil it doesn’t get any power. Any idea on what would cause this…?

You didn't say that you had new points?

I haven't run points in a while, but maybe I can walk you through it?
First, to test for spark, pull any plug wire and install any spark plug into it. Ground that plug onto a good engine ground & crank the engine (don't touch car yourself!) and you should see a spark. If no spark...

1. Make sure you have 12V on both sides of the ballast resistor (blue wires still connected) with the key in the ON position.
2. Next, with the key still ON, see if you have 12V at the + side of the ignition coil.
3. Swap out cap and rotor (just try different ones)
4. *trick* when set the gap on your points, set it several thousandths of an inch too tight. I had an old distributor whose bushings were worn, so it "wobbled" while rotating. That wobble cause my point gap to be too large and I got no spark...tightened it up closer than spec....spark.

Ok dont get mad but....... did you guys remember to install the rotor ?
A cracked cap will mess with you also.
Make sure you hooked your distributor lead wire to the coil ,also make sure you have spark through your coil wire.

Edit, I seen purple beeper covered most all of it, ck everything he posted .

Make sure you hooked your distributor lead wire to the coil ,also make sure you have spark through your coil wire.

Edit, I seen purple beeper covered most all of it, ck everything he posted

Edit, I seen purple beeper covered most all of it, ck everything he
I haven't run points in a while, but maybe I can walk you through it?
First, to test for spark, pull any plug wire and install any spark plug into it. Ground that plug onto a good engine ground & crank the engine (don't touch car yourself!) and you should see a spark. If no spark...

1. Make sure you have 12V on both sides of the ballast resistor (blue wires still connected) with the key in the ON position.
2. Next, with the key still ON, see if you have 12V at the + side of the ignition coil.
3. Swap out cap and rotor (just try different ones)
4. *trick* when set the gap on your points, set it several thousandths of an inch too tight. I had an old distributor whose bushings were worn, so it "wobbled" while rotating. That wobble cause my point gap to be too large and I got no spark...tightened it up closer than spec....spark.
ok I’ll try that trick and see what happens, thanks for the advice

Yes the cap is fine and the rotor is installed

Please explain with more detail.
The 12v power goes to the coil and then the distributor. Your description indicates the opposite.

Ok, I obviously don’t know much about ignition systems. I’ll do more research with my dad to try and figure it out but thanks for the advice, I’m only 17 and I’m just getting into the hobby and was trying to get some ideas on what the issue might be, thank you for your time

Ok, I obviously don’t know much about ignition systems. I’ll do more research with my dad to try and figure it out but thanks for the advice, I’m only 17 and I’m just getting into the hobby and was trying to get some ideas on what the issue might be, thank you for your time
I wasn't trying to be critical.
I'm trying to help but we need a better description.
Sit down with your dad and carefully describe what you found step by step.
This can be fixed.

I'm good friends with his dad. He said they got it to fire. The points weren't opening so he re gapped them and got it to run.

@Paul73 you should start a thread on your Charger rebuild. Your dad sent me pictures of the "parts" car you picked up. Looks like a nice car!

Auto Transport Service
Back